What direction does your RTT open and why?

Cletus26

Adventurer
I'm building a couple different racks for my 2 Tundra's for a Tepui Autuna with annex. I'm up in the air as to how I'd like it to open. I can see pros and cons to each way (left, right or even out the back). Let me know what you guys think

camp4x4

Adventurer
The guys at CVT convinced me to install to the passenger side so that if you ended up just pulling off to the side of the road to camp, the ladder wouldn't be in the road when opened. I also considered off the back because it would clear the barn doors I have (hatches might make this less feasible), but even with my huge truck the tent would have been wider than my rack and hung over on the sides, which I didn't like.

EDIT: just realized this was posted in a Toyota centric area; comment stands but thought I should mention I have a Suburban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I used to have my tent open up to the driver side for a few different reasons. My new tent will open to the passenger side, mainly so I can open it when street parked.

lugueto

Adventurer
I've had two layouts with three tents: One opened to the passenger side, one opened to the rear and the present one opens to the passenger side.

Why? I have an awning on the driver's side.

The only one I managed to open to the rear was a small tent that was 47 inches wide (The one prior to that tent and the present one were both 56in wide) This setup was best for me, as you all the space you needed was the truck's width, not an additional four feet to one side.

I wouldn't consider camping by the side of the road. I don't think that's a reason for passenger side deployment, not for me at least..

The one prior to that tent and the present one were both 56in wide.

tncamp

I have mine opening to the passenger side because I sometimes use state parks. Campgrounds are designed for RVs which the industry standard is for entry on the passenger side.

MCObray

Explorer
Passenger side for a lot of reasons stated above, plus a vehicle can accumulate a slight lean on the front drivers side if primarily always driven with no one in the cab FWIW.

Cletus26

Adventurer
I'm now leaning towards driverside because of the exhaust out the side of the box on the passenger side. Wouldn't run often but to charge the batteries or let the wife warm up would be nice

Dblack

Observer
I'm now leaning towards driverside because of the exhaust out the side of the box on the passenger side. Wouldn't run often but to charge the batteries or let the wife warm up would be nice

I have the same setup as you will. Rtt mounted on top of the box of my Tundra.
I chose passenger side because I occasionally tow my holiday trailer as well as use the Rtt at the same time. When I park, the door of the trailer, and the Rtt are on the same side.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The WilderNest opens to the passenger side, which is my experience with a sort of RTT. In that case there was no choice.

I will say one reason to open towards the driver side is if you have to orient the truck in such a way that makes getting to it funky, say a ditch or hill, or you have to level the truck a lot so one side is a lot higher than the other you can position things such that the side that is up in the air isn't the one where you have to get in & out of the truck. Also opening and closing it on the side that's not 9 feet in the air is much easier.

But FWIW I was told the reason WilderNest chose the passenger is it's easier to use in established campgrounds. Not sure why that might be or even the validity of that. Could just be semi-drunken speculation on our part, too. But when you think about it RVs and travel trailers have their doors on the right side so I dunno, maybe there's a reason for that. State parks seem to orient things like picnic tables and fire rings so the right side is pointing toward them. Shrug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94