What did you pay for sandblasting your trailer?

Bella PSD

Explorer
how much did you pay for sandblasting your trailer?

I have a few quotes of $100, $125, $175 and one had no idea till he saw the trailer. This was quoted for a M416 and maybe a discount if I did both M416’s that I have. The one for $125 said he may “bake” the paint of first, then blast.

Did you disassemble the tub from the frame? What about the tires, leave them on so it rolls easy for them? Or did you completely disassemble and just take in parts to get sandblasted?

Thanks
Louie

Trailpsycho

Observer
I would definitely disassemble first. $100-150 is probably reasonable. They dont need to use anything special on it...as the tub is probably already a little warped or a little ripple to it anyway.

AJJeep

Definately take it apart, as it is EXTREMELY doubtful that a sandblasting company will do that for you. If you don't disassemble it then any rust, corrosion, salt, grime, etc. located between joints will stay there rotting it away. It also will give you a chance to see the true damage to the frame and such. Assuming there is only two or three layers of paint a shop with a decent blaster should be able to finish in two hours, so $100 to $150 is reasonable. Another option that I haven't heard any one mention is dip stripping. Several companies in the US perform this. Essentially it is a tank (swimming pool size) full of chemical stripper. They drop the part in, the chemicals eat away all the paint and corrosion (including what is inside the tubes etc) and then take it out and rinse it. I used UnPaint in Atlanta, GA last time. They had a minimum price of $75 and my two bumpers and tire rack were half of the minimum, so if those prices haven't changed it should be roughly 100 for a small trailer such as an m416.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
X2 on taking it apart... I paid about $180 but also threw in a bunch of other stuff so I figure about $150 for the trailer alone. I consider that a pretty good deal..

Bella PSD

Explorer
OK, sounds like its good price that I am getting. I do have a HF 100lbs sand blaster but for $150 each, let someone else do it. It would take me all day. And it sounds like I will disassemble the trailers. I also called about the chemical dip, it was about $250 for one M416.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Resurrecting an old thread. Did you guys take it apart and transport it in pieces, or just get everything loose and disassemble it at the shop? Also, I have herd that some of the tubs loose their shape when off of the frame.

Airborne Lee

Observer
Disassembling the tub from the frame is a must. I rented the blaster for 125 for two days. spent about 10 dollars for three bags of sand. Take care around the wheel hubs.

95RRC

Adventurer
dis-assembled mine as well. HOWEVER, what folks have not done is touch on the after work following blasting. If you don't get to undercoat/primer painting it directly after you will get surface rust quite quickly - even quicker in some places (near ocean). So plan to do it immediately following in a very good high grade (I did ceramic paint) paint. If you take it somewhere they should be able to do both...mine did - it was more money but worth it. It certainly made the final painting look much better too.

INSAYN

Adventurer
My local blaster did a great job on mine for $110. Granted mine was raw, with some surface rust and not painted yet. I pulled the wiring, and fenders prior to towing it over, and then they removed the tires and axle. Then they hoisted it up by the tongue so it would swing freely for them. They, put the axle and tires back on when done and kept it covered in sand and indoors until I could come pick it up a week later. Then blew all the sand off just before I towed it away.

XJINTX

Explorer
Timely thread for me. OK I have a dumb question. If you rent the equipment and do yourself how much of a mess? I mean I have plenty of rommoutside to do it and I guess the sand just spreads on ground. But what if I wanted to do enclosed in Garage or something?

I like the idea of doing myself as I may be more particular. Time is not an issue for me but I guess it would need to be primed pretty quick?

DucRyder

Having used a sand blaster extensively in my garage for a 1970 Bronco frame off resto, I can honestly say it was a bad idea. We had black slag single use dust All OVER. I mean everywhere, even up into the rafters. And it came back to haunt us for years, getting into our paint work in said garage. Don't do it in an enclosed space, if you plan to use that space to paint later.

grogie

Like to Camp
I had a professional bedliner applied to my trailer last summer, which required that it was first sand blasted. The bedliner shop took care of it, and did take the trailer apart (removed the axle). They added $200 to the total bill.

However when they put it back together, they completely over tightened the leaf springs to were they didn't move! When I picked the trailer up, I didn't notice that and I thought it was going to bounce off of my hitch on some rough highway. :eek:

JKJenn

Adventurer
I had a professional bedliner applied to my trailer last summer, which required that it was first sand blasted. The bedliner shop took care of it, and did take the trailer apart (removed the axle). They added $200 to the total bill.

However when they put it back together, they completely over tightened the leaf springs to were they didn't move! When I picked the trailer up, I didn't notice that and I thought it was going to bounce off of my hitch on some rough highway. :eek:

Truthfully, it would be worth the $200 to have the shop remove the tub. Thanks for that feedback. I have a shop that can the blasting/painting/ and a few modifications. I need to get a quote and look for a second shop so I can price shop.

Airborne Lee

Observer
Truthfully, it would be worth the $200 to have the shop remove the tub. Thanks for that feedback. I have a shop that can the blasting/painting/ and a few modifications. I need to get a quote and look for a second shop so I can price shop.

Sorry, But it is not that difficult to remove and to me just not worth $50 to have them remove it for me. I hate to pay people to do something I can do myself. But that's just me!

As far as where to sand it. I have an large back yard and barn so I did it out in the open. I do recommend putting a tarp down to catch the paint chips. Sand not an issue, lots of green paint chips on gravel drive = big issue. Also, by using a tarp you can collect the sand to reuse! so long as your blaster has a filter.

Use good quality playground sand and be sure it is totally DRY!

and for you personally - take every precaution! hat, gloves, breathing mask, face mask and goggles both! I used a cheep plastic face visor with goggles and and paint mask for my mouth. but I was outside. Inside, you don't want to breath any of the dust!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles