What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

PacS14

Adventurer
I replaced the faulty voltage regulator on an old alternator I had laying around. My lights were flickering again, so I ordered one from Amazon that seemed to be the one I needed, and lucked out because it was indeed the exact one. The one I got was made in Korea, so immediately thought it had to be a better quality part than the one in that old AutoZone Alternator. After taking the alternator apart, melt the d solder to remove the broken one, I saw that one of the carbon brushes was broken so that explains, I soldered the new regulator and.put it back together. Finally took the alternator that has a bad regulator already out of the Monty and put this newly repaired one in and Presto! No more flickering lights

PaydayGabe

This is the tread pattern of the new skins.
Beefy I'd say. 13mm depth. They are made by Mastercraft,, a subsidiary of Cooper Tires. I'm good with that.??
LT245/75R-16 Courser MXT, $159. ea. from SimpleTire. Com. on my beautifully painted wheels ?.
Its very early in the learning process with these. Wil be adjusting air pressure for best contact patch. They hum slightly on deceleration/ braking. Will update process as needed. Cheers ?, G.20200518_222243.jpg

Attachments

• 20200518_222213.jpg
    20200518_222213.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

PaydayGabe

Afternoon Inmates ?‍♂️,,
On 06/01, I completed the Fan Clutch service on my 3.5L Sport.
To say it was a little on the weak side is an understatement. Disassembly was relatively easy. There are a few tiny pieces to pay attention for.
Specifically , the 0-ring between the two halves and the internal wiper.
The 0-ring is obvious,,
but the wiper is a small black rectangular piece of material that rests inside the slot on the outer edge of the top half and then rests against the internal hub of the clutch.
Naturally the freakin photos will NOT load! ? Use your imagination.

The remaining silicone oil is heavy and requires several cleanings. Evacuate it as best as possible.
Upon assembly I had everything in place, ready and began to add the New Silicone oil ( item#5457 2fl.oz; 30.000cSt weight) from Amazon.
This stuff is thick also and I had to warm it up good before it would flow.
The unit took the full 2oz bottle. Assemble the pieces together,, pay attention that the wiper and 0-ring remain in place.
Install the 4 Phillips screws and tighten,, good and snug.
Reassemble on the vehicle and test drive.
That's it! ?Good as new.
Sorry about no photos.

Thanks to Toasty's instructional video I had the confidence to replace upper ball joints. It went just like video! So much easier. Also just got her back from paint shop after getting center hood and entire top repainted to get rid of nasty oxidization.

Attachments

• IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24

miloe79

Observer
What did I do to my Montero today!? Well! I’m glad you asked.

I improved the headlights on my Gen 2 by swapping a pair of 2.5 headlights. Huge improvement over the fluted style lights. They look great!!
5d1d5d4cff2a34b987c3dc28325752fd.jpg

b4fe89ced203eb7a0851e6233d8353b6.jpg

a9ecceef69da8e9fcdb270a06adab9ed.jpg

e2cc236a88a0c12f66534f3170ef12fc.jpg

fdd1be442df97c7bb3f0f87972756302.jpg

80d048a997638e258c53659949e11ec3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaydayGabe

The fan clutch is serviceable? Who knew. And Snakeyjake, that garage looks way too clean.

Thanks for the comments ?.
Some clutch models are serviceable. You can see that when you remove the unit from the vehicle. They will have the 4 screws and the 4 fan bolts holding everything together.
Some clutches are factory sealed and not serviceable.
Naturally,, these would just be replaced by the mechanic and not serviced at all. YMMV?‍♂️.

PacS14

Adventurer
Afternoon Inmates ?‍♂️,,
On 06/01, I completed the Fan Clutch service on my 3.5L Sport.
To say it was a little on the weak side is an understatement. Disassembly was relatively easy. There are a few tiny pieces to pay attention for.
Specifically , the 0-ring between the two halves and the internal wiper.
The 0-ring is obvious,,
but the wiper is a small black rectangular piece of material that rests inside the slot on the outer edge of the top half and then rests against the internal hub of the clutch.
Naturally the freakin photos will NOT load! ? Use your imagination.

The remaining silicone oil is heavy and requires several cleanings. Evacuate it as best as possible.
Upon assembly I had everything in place, ready and began to add the New Silicone oil ( item#5457 2fl.oz; 30.000cSt weight) from Amazon.
This stuff is thick also and I had to warm it up good before it would flow.
The unit took the full 2oz bottle. Assemble the pieces together,, pay attention that the wiper and 0-ring remain in place.
Install the 4 Phillips screws and tighten,, good and snug.
Reassemble on the vehicle and test drive.
That's it! ?Good as new.
Sorry about no photos.
I did this to my 96 T-100 once and at hobby shops (rc cars) they sell cans of (I forgot the name of it) that removed that heavy oil like nothing and you can get the job done super quick. Literally spray that thin on the clutch aiming at the old oil and it comes off automatically...blew my mind.

PaydayGabe

So yesterday I took a trip to town(Las Vegas) to search the pick a part yard for any Montero gems ? maybe.
I surprisingly found a pair of Asian Std. type Locking Hubs ?.
They came home with me.
These were on a 1988 Isuzu Trooper 4door w/auto transmission. I counted 17 splines.
Very nice condition. Gonna give them some TLC, then on the shelf for a rainy day.
My rig is AWD so not compatible with this system I think?‍♂️. Maybe someone can use on their vehicle?

brad2274

Adventurer
Got my ZJ cherokee ARB widened and mounted on my new rig, added some of the roof hellas that survived the rollover, wired to factory switch. I picked up some headlight washers recently, gonna try to mount those on the ARB (previous owner took off and threw out both bumpers, reverse lights, fogs, washers, temp sensor, basically all front and rear cutting everything ) finally back to normal.20200618_165339.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Fluid exchange...
Oil/filter (Amsoil)
Transfer case (Amsoil)
Differentials (Amsoil)
Transmission (MM SP-III)

Staging parts for a bushing refresh on the rear-end: differential, sway bar, trailing arm, lower control arm...
Cheers

PaydayGabe

Hey Inyo, good job with the fluids. Give us an update on the suspension service (bushes).
What model Montero are you working on?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PaydayGabe

Took a day trip to Rhyolite Nv. for some exploring.
On the way,, the alternator started acting wonky.
Voltage fluctuating below acceptable.
Made it back home thankfully but gotta start shopping for a new/ upgrade. Any ideas/suggestions welcome.
02 3.5L Sport.
Thanks, G.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles