What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

PaydayGabe

This past weekend I wrapped up the top end/ timing/water pump etc, service on my Monty Sport. It sounds like a fine sewing machine ?. And amazingly everything else is working. With only 149+k on the bottom, , it should be good for another 100k hopefully ??.
Next week,, off to the smog station, then the DMV?‍♂️.
After the holiday season I'm gonna focus on the drive train/ brakes. Generally the Rig is in good condition but my OCD ?makes me need it better than good.
I'm not looking for a "show truck" ,,
but I must have a "reliable go truck".
? Cheers, G. In beautiful Boulder City Nv.

PaydayGabe

I'm glad this project is coming to fruition, ,
although. I keep looking for other things to attend to before I register and start driving it.
I removed the hood (bonnet) for a flat black spray through the center area. Leaving the Silver sides to be the accents,
tapering down to the grill.
It's a go truck, not a show truck so reliability and function supersede anything pretty...
I was thinking about the rack assembly I'm going to put on top.
I've have decided on a Yakima/Thule style cargo box for the bulk of the lightweight items. This requires cross bars on the factory rails. Naturally,, being the "frugal" builder that I am, after a while it dawned on me. Hey fool,
what about those side steps you remove???
?hmm.? Yes...
I grabbed them up, threw them on the rails and
?bam. That will definitely work?. I centered them on the rails, got a center line and out came the grinder. I removed all the mounting tabs and cut them to 42" so they wouldn't extend too much yet allow enough to fasten them to the existing rails.
Very effective?, and FREE!
So, some Unbolt and a can of truck bed spray and that will be that..?.

I'll check in periodically with updates asap.. G, in BCNV. ??

brad2274

Adventurer
Rolled my 95 LS last week20191125_192503 (2).jpg20191125_191119.jpg

Someone cut me off then ran me into soft median, tire dug in tossed me into roll. Roof rack pushed back when it tried to roll onto roof, saved me from rolling into oncoming upside down so thats nice. I'll update my build thread with more pics of damage
bought this 2 days ago
20191201_150429.jpg

PacS14

Adventurer
Rolled my 95 LS last week

Someone cut me off then ran me into soft median, tire dug in tossed me into roll. Roof rack pushed back when it tried to roll onto roof, saved me from rolling into oncoming upside down so thats nice. I'll update my build thread with more pics of damage
bought this 2 days ago

Glad to hear you are okay, that's the main thing, everything else can be replaced... nevermind you did that already lol

PaydayGabe

?‍♂️Glad your ok?.
Shame about the Monty, but now onto another project.

I took my Sport out for it's maiden drive this evening. Just a 20 mile loop to get a feel for it and see how it runs since the top end overhaul. Well, , effortless is a good word. Held 70mph on cruise, trans did the proper kick down, no overheating.
Everything is working ?, , other than the annoying SES light. Stopped by AutoZone for a quick scan. Various O2 codes and 1 EGR. ? Doooh. ?
Gotta get those resolved before smog/Registration.
Further updates pending . G.

Bj74 Hunter

purchased 4 studded firestone winterforce lt 235/85/16 tires for my 2003 montero sport.

firestone-winterforce-lt-studded-treadzoom.jpg

PaydayGabe

Yesterday took the Monty to DMV. Got a 30day temp movement permit. My smog test results?failed.
P0137 / P0141 / P0155?‍♂️. 02 Sensors.
With volt meter in hand I dove in to check voltage on each circuit. These are 4wire sensors. Naturally, one wire is a ground.
The remaining three all show 1@12v , and the remaining 2 @ 0.6/ 0.8v.
I'm reluctant to just bite the bullet and get 4 new sensors. I can get 4 Denso sensors from RockAuto from around $170.
Not crazy expensive,, but reluctant. Further research/ report pending. G.?

chadzeilenga

Replaced T-1 bulbs and cleaned/greased contacts in my rocker switches. Now I know when my rear defogger shuts of...

8d17a7358b06df0477eabc5c80b2c239.jpg

ac86222181ab5d528a82ab46b37fe220.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PaydayGabe

Follow up on the O2 sensor issues.
Took Monty to the local Shop to verify my findings. They confirmed my numbers are correct,, So 4 new Denso sensors are on order from Rockauto. $174.00 us
Enough of this funny business?‍♂️.

Speaking of funny ????.
Not really. Just for kicks I called the Dealer for price and availability for these 4 sensors.
Not in stock, of course, and, ,
cough, cough, choke ? $1304.36 us for the bunch?. Isn't that special.
Mother of God, , help us all.... Obscene.
Shop with care my friend's. G.??

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Not in stock, of course, and, ,
cough, cough, choke ? $1304.36 us for the bunch?. Isn't that special.
Mother of God, , help us all.... Obscene.

That dealer price is outrageous. I have been using the PartSouq site since someone here suggested it, and it is quite reasonable, even with shipping from UAE. Usually arrives in a week with FedEx. I still use RockAuto for more generic parts or when there is a Denso, Aisin, or other Japan brand available.

PaydayGabe

That dealer price is outrageous. I have been using the PartSouq site since someone here suggested it, and it is quite reasonable, even with shipping from UAE. Usually arrives in a week with FedEx. I still use RockAuto for more generic parts or when there is a Denso, Aisin, or other Japan brand available.

Morning Mike?‍♂️, ,

I really wasn't surprised. But! !
I paid $1k u.s. for the rig, ,
another $1500 in parts/ machine work on the heads, shocks, Brake pads etc.. I did all the wrenching/ labor.
The only time I reluctantly take a vehicle the shop is when I don't have the needed equipment or knowledge required?‍♂️. Thankfully that rarely happens.
Another example of dealer price gouging... it needed valve lifters, 24. ?‍♂️over $30 dollars each. So, Ordered the best Rockauto offered.
Around $4.50 u.s. each. ?

Hell, , If I could afford dealer service/ parts prices I would probably be driving a vastly newer machine. But that's not me. I enjoy the process and getting familiar with the vehicle. It keeps me out of trouble in my retirement?.
Plus, living on a fixed income requires $$ frugality.
Have a great weekend. G.

PaydayGabe

Evening folks,, my final update on this particular subject (Oxygen sensors).

The 4 new sensors were installed on Sat.
The codes were cleared and have remained clear. Today I took the vehicle for a lengthy drive to let the computer reset itself. Then to the Smog station, , where the machine passed w/ Flying colors. AMEN??. I then went to the local bar and had a few?.
Glad that ordeal is over. . Cheers, G.

PaydayGabe

Hmmmm, I smell a big project on the horizon. Love it when the parts arrive.
If you're doing it DIY, I hope you have a press available, long breaker bars and Anti Seize for reassembling. The suspension hardware is INSANELY TIGHT!
Get the vehicle comfortably in the air so you can get really good leverage on those bolts. Give everything a good cleaning before reassembly and some blue lock tight on the threads.
You'll never get them as tight as the factory, , since they were done w/ pneumatics. Good luck, eat your Wheaties before and keep us posted on the project. ?Cheers, G. In beautiful Boulder City Nv. USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles