What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Tore into the heater core issues. Yeah it sucks but way better than paying the local shops @ $1500 to do the job. No one really wants to do the job and I'm not going to pay a kings ransom to someone who is gonna half-ass a job they really didn't want in the first place. Going to be doing a detailed write up and a video on. How to take it apart and put back together as I found -0- videos on YouTube or the net on Gen III Montero/Pajero that wasn't hidden behind a paywall.
eb2b849e85eed17740ebe8654f1ed27b.jpg
:p

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HOLY CRAP, that first pic looks like a tornado came through!

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Do you think these needed changing???

I have no idea how old they are. I just picked this 95' up a month ago.

1567992664626.png

PaydayGabe

Do you think these needed changing???

I have no idea how old they are. I just picked this 95' up a month ago.

View attachment 537402
By looking at the exterior crud and the brown insulators they are due for replacement ?‍♂️. Cheap insurance considering the BS involved to get to them.. Hopefully that mud didn't fall into the cylinders.
Do the wires also..
And check the valve covers for leaking on the lower edges.
What is the milage? ??G.

PaydayGabe

?‍♂️jeez, , Yesterday went to the local Mitsubishi dealer for some parts. Now,,, I know this vehicle is not as popular as others and I'm cool with that. I've always been attracted to out of the ordinary (odd ball) cars, trucks, motorcycles.
And unfortunately these vehicles are more expensive to maintain and repair... so out of curiosity I had the parts guy check price on the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters for the 3.5L engines. Mine need a few, as they fell apart upon disassembly. Brace yourself !!
Just over $30 EACH!!! I rounded up to $31.
?Mother of God... A full set will set you back $744+ dollars.
Top of the line Adjusters from Rock Auto are $4.57ea. /$110 for a full set (AJUSA #85004400).
These are not Chinese.
Made in Spain.
So,, obviously the direction is clear. Spend when you can,,,
save when you have to. It's a balancing act and budgetary requirement.
Unless you're Jeff Bezos ?‍♂️.
I wish us all luck?in our ventures into Monteroland... G.

PaydayGabe

Yesterday contacted a machine shop in Vegas
(Universal Machine, , been in business since Jesus was a choir boy) for the resurfacing and hot tank of the heads, $75ea. and 3 day turn around.
Pretty reasonable I think?.
Today did the Valve work
(hand lapping), which went really well. Nice clean shaven seats?.
And finally,, was very lucky to find a 2" Fine grade Scotchbrite wheel thingy that mounts to an arbor and is run in your electric drill, , and saved the camshaft bores. Buffed up smoother.
Thankfully.
More details to follow. G.?‍♂️

ajm291

?‍♂️jeez, , Yesterday went to the local Mitsubishi dealer for some parts. Now,,, I know this vehicle is not as popular as others and I'm cool with that. I've always been attracted to out of the ordinary (odd ball) cars, trucks, motorcycles.
And unfortunately these vehicles are more expensive to maintain and repair... so out of curiosity I had the parts guy check price on the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters for the 3.5L engines. Mine need a few, as they fell apart upon disassembly. Brace yourself !!
Just over $30 EACH!!! I rounded up to $31.
?Mother of God... A full set will set you back $744+ dollars.
Top of the line Adjusters from Rock Auto are $4.57ea. /$110 for a full set (AJUSA #85004400).
These are not Chinese.
Made in Spain.
So,, obviously the direction is clear. Spend when you can,,,
save when you have to. It's a balancing act and budgetary requirement.
Unless you're Jeff Bezos ?‍♂️.
I wish us all luck?in our ventures into Monteroland... G.

I overhauled the top end of my 2006 Montero back in 2017 and went with these lash adjusters.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
Oh and when you take your dash apart, be careful not to break the white plastic straw looking thing on your shifter, they are unobtanium. I've been looking for a new one and I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a whole new floor shifter assembly, if I can find one. And what is even super cooler, I have the super select transmission(I can flick it to the side and manually shift/choose gear) and they are evidently made from unicorn horns...
So when you get the center console trim off, put the shift knob back on the shifter to protect the white plastic part you can't replace. I broke mine putting the dash trim back in.

I have to figure out how to farm fix it if I can't get the parts. Anyone have a spare super select floor shifter assembly laying around they want to sell???

Last edited:

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Oh and when you take your dash apart, be careful not to break the white plastic straw looking thing on your shifter, they are unobtanium. I've been looking for a new one and I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a whole new floor shifter assembly, if I can find one. And what is even super cooler, I have the super select transmission(I can flick it to the side and manually shift/choose gear) and they are evidently made from unicorn horns...
So when you get the center console trim off, put the shift knob back on the shifter to protect the white plastic part you can't replace. I broke mine putting the dash trim back in.

I have to figure out how to farm fix it if I can't get the parts. Anyone have a spare super select floor shifter assembly laying around they want to sell???

Unobtanium and unicorn horns!!!

:ROFLMAO:

PaydayGabe

I overhauled the top end of my 2006 Montero back in 2017 and went with these lash adjusters.

Thanks for that tip AJ?,
I'm watching those now.
Still available, and ships from Tucson Az. Love the $$.

PaydayGabe

Well, , yesterday I attended to several items on the
Monty Sport project.
The engine assembly is moving forward with the remaining components going on as planned. I did a compression check to confirm/ compare my original numbers prior to disassembly.
All are pushing 130psi,
but this is with no oil pressure to inflate the lifters.
Here's my issue. After several sessions of compression checks
The engine has failed to get oil pressure! I have a manual gauge attached to the sender outlet for positive results but nothing indicates any pressure... Naturally I'm hesitant to continue without some pressure, I definitely don't want to Fry any bearings on the heads or bottom end.
1) Is there a trick to get the oil pump to prime? ? And yes, there is oil in the crankcase.

2) How does one determine if you have a LSD (limited slip differential) in your vehicle?
The paper tag on my rear diff says/ has a " barcode/ L16/ 4.900/ # 82. 02. 05. 10. 23.
I got the 4.900, gear ratio but the remaining are questionable.
Thanks for your time and replies. PaydayGabe in beautiful Boulder City Nv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles