What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I made a set of 4 mud flaps and installed them today. I've wanted to for a while and this last trip to Montana provided some additional incentive with lots of sharp gravel being thrown up from the tires. I wanted them longish and very flexible, similar to what European rallye cars use.

My locally-owned, amazing hardware store (which has pretty much anything anyone needs) has rolls of 1/4 inch neoprene that seem perfect for this application: heavy, tough & flexible. Since my Gen III has had all the plastic cladding & trim removed and serious bobs done to the bumpers, it required some fiddling.

When I did that trim project I covered the lower bits in Monstaliner (covered elsewhere in my build thread), and had to reconfigure the metal hardware that supports the inner fender liners, cutting and welding these pieces to a new curve that doesn't hang down below the truck. In the rear I tied into these supports but added stiffeners to them. This is the left rear, showing the previously-reconfigured metal support with a new stiffener tying it to the body...
21121759003_12e848a35d_b.jpg

...and here's the right rear, with a new support tying it to the metal guard under the rear HVAC unit:
21742786315_99e59272a5_b.jpg

The fronts don't have supports that wide, so I fabbed up metal sheets that sandwich the rubber flap and support it on the inboard end. Here's a view looking down at this arrangement from inside the driver's side front wheel well:
21554938748_8baaac13b0_b.jpg

And here's the final result (on the passenger side):
21554819700_0cd9b7c1d8_b.jpg

21120089964_9358709692_b.jpg

Gibby92

Replaced the aftermarket rims with the factory wheels and some 265/75/r16 General Grabber at2's. Tires are about the noise level I suspected, not too bad, but the ride is really nice. The old wheels/tires wore the front side of the wheel well a little loose so I will have to try to pull it back just a little bit as the new tires rub on the driver's side.IMG_20150926_224202833.jpg

cacattack

Observer
Replaced the aftermarket rims with the factory wheels and some 265/75/r16 General Grabber at2's. Tires are about the noise level I suspected, not too bad, but the ride is really nice. The old wheels/tires wore the front side of the wheel well a little loose so I will have to try to pull it back just a little bit as the new tires rub on the driver's side.View attachment 306694

Tires look nice. I've been considering a set of those.

Dropped my rig off at the shop Friday for;
1. Roof Rack(cheaper to have one fabbed these days)
2. Install Light Bar
3. Fix mangled front skid plates
4. Fix raised cross member causing drive train to vibrate on floor
5. Replace LF CV
6. Tighten Oil Pan up

Red_Diamonds

Observer
WOOOO Timing belt done! Front Camshaft seals honestly looked original. It was horrendous! Water pump looks like it hasn't been replaced at last timing belt service. It wasn't original but it sure as hell didn't look like no 60,000 mile pump. Finally got the no oil leaks! That makes me super happy. Now to take it to my shop tomorrow and clean it all up and make it look presentable. I will be posting pictures once it is all done of course.

nckwltn

Explorer
changed out the alternator belt... sadly, you have to remove the other two belts to get the alternator belt off, but was abel to do it with the fan still in place. Did have to remove the lower shields.

BOPOH

Explorer
Saturday went to private offroad park on my Gen2.5 got few scratches and couple dents, as well as scared all jeep guys with my 2-wheeling skills. Later that night tested sleeping arrangements by moving all the seats to make them flat - it works but not so comfortable, so for this upcoming EVENT i'll bring air mattres. Sunday worked on Sport: finished timing belt and all seals replacement, seafoamed thru vacuum, oil and gas tank the changed oil, then flushed the radiator.

cacattack

Observer
I made a set of 4 mud flaps and installed them today. I've wanted to for a while and this last trip to Montana provided some additional incentive with lots of sharp gravel being thrown up from the tires. I wanted them longish and very flexible, similar to what European rallye cars use.

My locally-owned, amazing hardware store (which has pretty much anything anyone needs) has rolls of 1/4 inch neoprene that seem perfect for this application: heavy, tough & flexible. Since my Gen III has had all the plastic cladding & trim removed and serious bobs done to the bumpers, it required some fiddling.

When I did that trim project I covered the lower bits in Monstaliner (covered elsewhere in my build thread), and had to reconfigure the metal hardware that supports the inner fender liners, cutting and welding these pieces to a new curve that doesn't hang down below the truck. In the rear I tied into these supports but added stiffeners to them. This is the left rear, showing the previously-reconfigured metal support with a new stiffener tying it to the body...
21121759003_12e848a35d_b.jpg

...and here's the right rear, with a new support tying it to the metal guard under the rear HVAC unit:
21742786315_99e59272a5_b.jpg

The fronts don't have supports that wide, so I fabbed up metal sheets that sandwich the rubber flap and support it on the inboard end. Here's a view looking down at this arrangement from inside the driver's side front wheel well:
21554938748_8baaac13b0_b.jpg

And here's the final result (on the passenger side):
21554819700_0cd9b7c1d8_b.jpg

21120089964_9358709692_b.jpg

Sabre,

Do you happen to have any of the neoprene left over or could yoi possibly get me a small section of it. I need about an 12" x 12" section of it for a small project that I am doing. I can paypal you. Just let me know. Thanks!

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Sorry, cacattack, but I bought only exactly as much as I needed: a one-foot cut from a 36-inch wide roll gives four flaps 12 inches long and 9 inches wide.

Good luck with your project!

cacattack

Observer
Sorry, cacattack, but I bought only exactly as much as I needed: a one-foot cut from a 36-inch wide roll gives four flaps 12 inches long and 9 inches wide.

Good luck with your project!

No worries and thanks. I was able to source what i needed from ebay. Thanks again - Craig

JamesW

Adventurer
I replaced my fuel filter after noticing it is struggling and spluttering going up hills

This is what came out

Ran a tin of fuel system cleaner and it seems to have taken care of everything, I may clean the filter in the tank too

I've put new shocks on the front, and I'm awaiting the arrival of new springs for the rear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles