What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Brigitta

Observer
Thanks Goose...I think I am almost done, but everytime I tell my wife this, I find more things I want to do. I'm thinking about upgrading axles and driveshafts at this point, but don't "really" need to...Hmmm.

Are you still running stock axles and shafts with the 5.7?

Vince1

Adventurer
Yes I am, stock D44 components. I've been told it should be fine, but I'd rather be extra beefy than have something break in the middle of nowhere. Thinking about gussets and chromoly shafts or just replace the entire housings with Dynatrac Prorocks. I need to regear anyways now that I'm running 35's, so I need to decide. Probably go with Woods shafts or a local custom shop. Still contemplating, as I am not planing any more long trips until next year.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Yes I am, stock D44 components. I've been told it should be fine, but I'd rather be extra beefy than have something break in the middle of nowhere. Thinking about gussets and chromoly shafts or just replace the entire housings with Dynatrac Prorocks. I need to regear anyways now that I'm running 35's, so I need to decide. Probably go with Woods shafts or a local custom shop. Still contemplating, as I am not planing any more long trips until next year.
Vince1,

Speaking from experience with 40s, stock Dana 44s and varied levels of sensible wheelin. You don't need to buy expensive axles to be reliable, even with the big motor. Simply get RCVs and chromemoly rears, sleeve and gusset. You don't rock crawl; and from your build, you respect your equipment. Just be smart and video those who abuse their equipment. ;)

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I would absolutely upgrade driveshafts to something serviceable on the trails. U-joints are your friends and can save other components. :)

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Recently sold Garmin 7200 GPS and wireless rearview camera.
2011-04-26_07-02-29_78.jpg

Clearing the dash. Setting up the Kenwood headunit for backup cam and GPS/trail mapping this weekend.

Timgco

Adventurer
Added Rotopaks onto Gobi sunroof insert for emergency fuel (range is very limited with the 5.7vvt). Also added matching Pintlers and ebrakes to the trailer. Then, added JW Speaker LED headlights.

Looks great Vince. how do you like the headlights/ Any feedback on install, etc?

Vince1

Adventurer
Vince1, Speaking from experience with 40s, stock Dana 44s and varied levels of sensible wheelin. You don't need to buy expensive axles to be reliable, even with the big motor. Simply get RCVs and chromemoly rears, sleeve and gusset. You don't rock crawl; and from your build, you respect your equipment. Just be smart and video those who abuse their equipment. ;)

Good advice, thanks. You are correct, I don't rockcrawl much with this rig. I've got a 2-dr that is my beater. I'm usually towing an off road trailer with the 4-dr so keep on moderate trails. That said, I will indeed be upgrading the driveshafts I think.

Looks great Vince. how do you like the headlights/ Any feedback on install, etc?
I'm really lovin these things. Very pleasing light...I wear contacts and my eyes can get tired at night, but not so far with these LEDs. I haven't been flashed yet either so the cutoff must be set right. Install was easy, remove grill and old lights, simple pigtail to stock harness and some minor grinding. The airbag sensors had to be repositioned before grinding (I actually rotozipped) the protruding nubs near them...simply loosened bolt holding them and tilted down about 30 deg to get clearance for new LED housings. The stock headlight ring trims fit around the new lights nice and tight so easy use same mounting screws. Maybe 45 min for the whole swap.

bldeagle10

Explorer
bout to go change the Tranny fluid and filter, as well as T-Case fluid since we have about 20 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF...scared cause i know the Tranny filter has never been changed cause my dad didn't know it had one, and no one knows when the T-Case was done last....fingers crossed

update:

changed tranny fluid, dropped the pan for the first time since 99 which means it had the original tranny filter in there with 325,500 miles, to our surprise it was extraordinarily clean. the magnets had a tiny bit of sludge but it cleaned up nice. new mobil 1 full synthetic ATF, new trans filter (old one still looked brand new) new Mobil 1 ATF in t-case, t-case fluid was pretty gnarly but wasn't to a point that I should worry, no metal shavings to be found either.

tip of the day, don't wear a white t-shirt when dropping your tranny pan lol

Last edited:

bldeagle10

Explorer
woke up this morning to my aunt yelling at me to get out of bed, she got a deal on two Pioneer decks, so she gave me the second for the price of installing hers, so I installed a new stereo in my XJ today, set up the blue tooth, did an OCD job on the wiring. looks clean, the stock speakers are SO much better with an aftermarket deck. now i'm thinking about getting a sound bar from an older XJ and mounting it above the rear passenger seat, putting two 10" subs in their and doing a lot of reenforcing to keep them up there. but that is just a thought

also called that guy about that roof rack I wanted to buy, my aunt said she would just buy it for me (gotta love her) he has someone looking at it tomorrow which could turn out bad for me..

xerofall

Added some plastic pegboard to the tailgate to mount some gear, all I have now is a small shovel, but will get more soon.

IMAG0640.jpg

bldeagle10

Explorer
just got back from buying a roof rack, olympic 4x4. not sure why but we disassembled it and threw it in the back of the jeep instead of throwing it on the roof lol. makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it. came with a bunch of lights, may sell, may keep not sure yet. installing tonight or tomorrow, posting pix tomorrow

started installing it tonight, a lot of stuff isn't lining up as if my roof is to wide for the rack, which I don't get because the rack is made specifically for XJ's..on well instead of trying to figure out why it is like this I'm just going to drill new holes...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior