What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

OhioWrangler

Having a wheel come loose or off isn't unusual(which is bad). I work at a small independent repair shop, one tech torques the wheels at factory spec and a second tech checks the torque. The customer is asked to bring the vehicle in 50-100 miles for a retorque. There are shops that have been sued and lost over this. With all the after market wheel makers and lug nuts, let alone what is a 60 degree angle on a lug nut seat. We also make sure the hub and wheel mating surface is clean. check and check and recheck. hope no one was hurt, Ron.

Mitch502

Explorer
Having a wheel come loose or off isn't unusual(which is bad). I work at a small independent repair shop, one tech torques the wheels at factory spec and a second tech checks the torque. The customer is asked to bring the vehicle in 50-100 miles for a retorque. There are shops that have been sued and lost over this. With all the after market wheel makers and lug nuts, let alone what is a 60 degree angle on a lug nut seat. We also make sure the hub and wheel mating surface is clean. check and check and recheck. hope no one was hurt, Ron.

Not at all. I was going about ~10mph (luckily) and had worked from a different location for work that day (I'd have been driving about 70mph when it came off otherwise)

With a new baby, I'm counting my blessings on this one.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I always torque the wheels on the Jeep in one of 2 ways that ensure they stay good and tight. If possible, torque with the wheel still off the ground to 40, then 70, then the full spec of 115. Otherwise, snug the nuts up, put it on the ground, torque to 100, drive it and then torque to 115. The first method has never had a lug loosen up when I've checked. The second occasionally takes a little more torque when I re-check them, which is why I prefer the first method.

Mitch502

Explorer
I've always snugged them, dropped it down to the ground, and then torqued to 100ft/lb, and in the course of ~30+ vehicles, never had one come loose. This was a first for me.

Chili

Explorer
I've always snugged them, dropped it down to the ground, and then torqued to 100ft/lb, and in the course of ~30+ vehicles, never had one come loose. This was a first for me.

That's what I've always done as well, and I have pulled tires off personal vehicles many, many times.. In fact, I used to drag race my old Mustang 2-3 days a week, and always swapped drag radials on before going.. So 3 days a week I was pulling off two wheels, putting on two others, then repeating the process again when I got home. And doing a lot of burnouts and high rpm clutch drops on them too!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Most of the "the wheel just fell off" root causes I have seen has been traced back to the use of aftermarket aluminum wheels WITHOUT removing the pressed on assembly retaining washers that are usually placed on two or three of the wheel studs per corner (placed there to keep the brakes from falling off as the vehicle is assembled). Factory aluminum wheels have a recess on the reverse side of each lug nut to accommodate these washers.

Parras

Replaced the AGU fuse on the Aux battery for an ANL type,
On the AGU type the cables were attached with set screw, that does not hold very well the wires and causes arcs, heat, failure. :exclaim:

also got the wireless control for the Warn winch :costumed-smiley-007

FUSES.jpg
Wireless-Control-System.jpg

Mitch502

Explorer
I'll keep my eyes open for that in the future, but these are factory tj rubicon wheels that I'd been driving on for at least a month

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Added JW Speaker J2 headlights, turn signals and fogs.

0438e95df5f13f0ccdb71203bbc60c09.jpg

Last edited:

PCO6

Adventurer
Check your lug nuts and make sure they have the correct seat.
Not sure if that's Mitch's problem but if it helps anyone I use McGard lug nuts (Pt.# - 64010) on my TJ, LJ & XJ all with TJ Rubicon (MOAB) wheels. They're much better than what the dealership currently sells and they're much less expensive too. I don't know when Jeep went from solid lug nuts to ones with a cheap chrome like cap over a nut but I can't stand the current ones. The cap eventually comes off and gets stuck in your socket. No problems with the McGards.

PCO6

Adventurer
They had the chrome caps nut at least on the 95 wrangler built in august 1994.
Interesting. I have a '95 XJ and it had all solid lug nuts when I bought it. They could have been changed though ... I would have! (lol). My '03 TJ had a mix. I bought some new ones from the dealership a few years ago and they weren't cheap - $10 CDN each! McGards at Canadian Tire are about $13 CDN for a pack of 4 nuts.

Last edited:

oldnslow

Observer
I bought my 99 TJ new, and it has solid lug nuts. Maybe they were part of the 30" tire & wheel option that it has. I doubt that the dealer would have put aftermarket or replacement lug nuts on the factory wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94