What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
drove it from Yuma, AZ to New Bern, NC.... Not the way I would have liked to. Avg 11 MPG at 70 MPH!! Thought it would have been a lot worse.

udoxx

Observer
Curious what suspension you will be running...my OME HD sags like crazy in the rear with no additional fuel tank and rear bumper. Let me know what you have in mind.

Also curious what you paid for the LRA tank?

I am running the OME HD because it is rated to handle extra weight but I know when it is all said and done I may need to add a small spacer. I haven't noticed any sag in my springs after a year. Keep in mind it is only a 1.5 inch suspension upgrade not an actual lift. If you need more height take a look at jeepin by al's stuff he has many custom Jeep lifts from 2 to 8 inches. Great customer service also.

The tank I cannot recall the exact price, the invoice is at home so I'm guessing about 1400. Mind you I had to have it shipped from Australia and that doesnt include installation. After three years of needing I just bit the bullet and I do not regret the purchase.

There is an electronic bar gauge with a push button switch installed on your dash or console showing you the level of fuel in the aux tank. The push button starts/stops the fuel transfer and only works when the ignition is on. To give you an idea of the transfer speed... slow in my opinion about 40 highway miles @ 70 mph to fill my main tank when the low fuel light came on. However with my fuel mileage about 2.5 gallons was used while transferring. The install kit came with a dual neck fuel filter and a new fuel cap. You can fuel each tank individually. Also included is the fuel pump and filter with various vent lines and transfer lines. One of the brackets had to be modified in order to install the tank.

squint

Adventurer
I just added synthetic to my 8274 as well. :) Mine was built in '80...

E7D25DC3-1B07-48A9-8DF8-EA6F701B6A98-2955-000002387F78C9BA_zps02ccece8.jpg

Hey Greg... Mind if I ask what that cost ya? Did you get all 150 feet worth? You can PM me if you don't want to broadcast the cost. :)

No problem and sorry I didn't see this earlier. The line itself was the thicker 3/8ths so I went with 125' and it cost around $320 if I recall correctly. Makes you wonder how companies sell whole winches with synthetic for $400...?

squint

Adventurer
I picked up a few khaki soft doors from a local. I realized soon after that I couldn't use the doorless mirrors I had made previously since the soft doors use the factory hinge as well. For that reason, I decided to make some mirror mounts. Now the mirrors stay in place whether I am using my hard doors, soft doors or just go doorless..
208028B2-9CA6-43FE-9383-C534FBBE381E-598-0000009ABACA4E6F_zps22088a58.jpg

8293C81D-AB6D-4A78-9D2B-EF21BFC5AC84-598-0000009AE109F320_zps548f6029.jpg

When I was done and admiring my work, I heard from behind me, "hey, what about mine?"
So of course, I had to make two more.. :) His and hers..

1C6C6D99-1AEC-43A9-AF16-AAEF2D9DDB3C-598-0000009F9F0EAD3A_zpsb732a7b8.jpg

Last edited:

bldeagle10

Explorer
glad to see my little thread kicked off nicely, think it should be made into a sticky?

I haven't been active on any forums in awhile becuase my XJ has been dead for the past year. I pulled the head in anticipation for valve job, plans changed due to unforseen events in my life.

finally got the valves pulled today. 336,000 miles, guides seem to be good still, seats are pretty messed up.

Hello from Sydney, Australia... Been on ausjeepoffroad.com for a few years now since we got our 98 XJ, but great to come across this forum recently as there are some quite interesting ideas and influences going around!

Today fitted up a Mopar roof mount spare wheel carrier. Great to get the spare out of the boot and gives me more freedom in designing some drawers for the rear.

Also over the past month or so replaced the battery terminals with Projecta distribution terminals, replaced the solenoids in the transmission, swapped the D35 for a decent used one that isn't as noisy nor leaking at the pinion and swapped the front hubs with Timken units (old ones were also noisy).

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
glad to see my little thread kicked off nicely, think it should be made into a sticky?

I haven't been active on any forums in awhile becuase my XJ has been dead for the past year. I pulled the head in anticipation for valve job, plans changed due to unforseen events in my life.

finally got the valves pulled today. 336,000 miles, guides seem to be good still, seats are pretty messed up.

I wondered where you got to... welcome back.

SulVento

Wanderer
Spent the weekend installing/arranging the rear storage. It's _almost_ the way I want it. Few tweaks to go.............

rear storage-L.jpg

bldeagle10

Explorer
I wondered where you got to... welcome back.

hard times man, so glad to be getting started on the XJ again, good to be back in the forums, it looks like a lot more XJ's have showed up here since I've been gone.

well, today, I soaked all my valves in chem dip, which I found out doesn't do much for carbon build up so I will have them cleaned when they grind them. or buy stainless valves, we will see when the time comes

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
A lot of hard times out there these days, glad to see you on the other side of that now. Looking forward to the rebuild and lots of pics!

bldeagle10

Explorer
lol yea I am usually good for pics, I have a problem with it actually lol. few more weeks and I will dig up the project brooke thread and get 'er rollin'

madmax718

Explorer
Bought some bug screen *no see um stopping* netting material to try and bug proof sleeping in the car with the sun roof and rear glass partially open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94