What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

jrueppel

Adventurer
Love the riv-nut. I used them to mount my table. Where did you get the tool? I use a bolt and the same size nut with the threads drilled out. Kinda hard to describe, but it works and is cheap.

Got the tool from Amazon. At $80 it wasn't the cheapest, but I'm pretty sure I can find other things to drill holes in and add riv-nuts to so it's going to see some use.

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Installed my Trek Armor seat covers and put the fridge back in.

IMG_20130328_160739_952_zps60130fff.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Got the tool from Amazon. At $80 it wasn't the cheapest, but I'm pretty sure I can find other things to drill holes in and add riv-nuts to so it's going to see some use.
hey hey.....you will keep going back to that tool....it is so useful, especially when nothing will work w/o huge amounts of work. Man this an investment you will never regret. I use mine every couple of months and smile every time.....of course I usually use it on friends rigs......sign of a good tool! fun to show off.....snicker, snicker.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Bought a battery a couple days ago. Finally got around to swapping out the old one and putting in the new one today.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
Stainless brake lines in prep for my lift and a set of JK shocks till I make up my mind up on what shocks to buy.

xndrxw

Observer
Put on a new fairlead and the poison spider light bracket behind it. Did the iron rock over the knuckle steering, new steering stabilizer, and double sheer track bar mount a few weeks back.

Q5iJgD4h.jpg

hansonian

Observer
I took off my lift and tires and put stock suspension and some 31's on it. The way it was the missus couldn't use it because she could never get the car seat in the back. It's 4" shorter now and definitely handles a lot better.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I took off my lift and tires and put stock suspension and some 31's on it. The way it was the missus couldn't use it because she could never get the car seat in the back. It's 4" shorter now and definitely handles a lot better.

How can it possibly handle better?? Everyone with a lift always says, "it handles better than stock now".

toymaster

Explorer
How can it possibly handle better?? Everyone with a lift always says, "it handles better than stock now".

Sarcasm, got to love it. Just a stab in the dark here but, the cheaper lifts do not take into account steering geometry. A lift just granting ride height will often result in poorer handling. This situation may explain hansonian's results.

Your last statement is entirely subjective to a driver's preferred handling characteristics. Even with perfect steering geometry raising a vic's center of gravity and installing tires with larger, more flexible side walls will not result in a vic preforming like it is on rails although, capability will be added. Any expectation of increased road track performance would be unrealistic. However, if 'handles better' means tightened steering response and holding a straight line with little or no driver input many 'stock' vics could be improved by properly installed lift components. This is especially true if the vic is older with some usage under its belt. Just sayin'.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You can store all the clothing/blankets/tarps--light duty stuff

What's the cargo net thingy up at the top there? Do you use it to store stuff between the roof and net? Do you have a link you can share about the net? Thanks!

PICT0183.jpg

IMG_0616_zps1a11ac35.jpg

It's amazing what you can store up there in the JKU and keep the main cargo area free !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

hansonian

Observer

Sarcasm, got to love it. Just a stab in the dark here but, the cheaper lifts do not take into account steering geometry. A lift just granting ride height will often result in poorer handling. This situation may explain hansonian's results.

The previous owner had put on what we'll call a lower end lift. It served it's purpose of getting the Jeep in the air and allowing room for larger tires. It left a lot to be desired in the comfort and handling department though. I've owned enough Jeeps to realize it wasn't the best solution but it got the job done. I wasn't a fan of the lift when I bought the Jeep but I got it for a steal so I could live with it.

Going back to stock setup on the LJ has made it more family friendly (which was the priority). It now turns a lot easier (not pushing those bigger tires around) and it can take the bumps in the road without knocking the fillings out of my teeth. At some point when my son is big enough to climb into the back himself I may raise it back up. Right now the 31's will get us everywhere we camp, hunt and fish so I'm happy. It may take a little time to get used to being 4" lower but it's something that had to be done.

DallasJKU

Adventurer

Your last statement is entirely subjective to a driver's preferred handling characteristics. Even with perfect steering geometry raising a vic's center of gravity and installing tires with larger, more flexible side walls will not result in a vic preforming like it is on rails although, capability will be added. Any expectation of increased road track performance would be unrealistic. However, if 'handles better' means tightened steering response and holding a straight line with little or no driver input many 'stock' vics could be improved by properly installed lift components. This is especially true if the vic is older with some usage under its belt. Just sayin'.

True. Just trying to get a rise out of someone. I know my AEV rides better than stock in some instances, but the 35's don't help handling. And I agree its truly subjective. At the end of the day, a lift and 35's look awesome and I care more about that than handling!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles