What Compass do you use.

bcrez

Adventurer
On my last trip, my compass broke while in my backpack. I had a Silva Ranger with a spotting mirror. I am in the market for a new one. Obviously durability is top on the priority list. I was curious as to what compass' some of you carry? I use UTM when I'm on foot and communication with others. I have a UTM overlay, but I do like a clear base-plate with at least a basic measure so I can do quick references.

Here is a pic of my old compass.

48347_l.jpg

mires

Adventurer
I use the one on my rearview mirror :sombrero:. I couldn't use an actual compass to save my life.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
I use a suunto m3 for working with maps and I use a lensatic compass when dead reckoning because I think you can get a more accurate bearing when trying to line up a distant object.

So the suunto m3 stays in my pocket and the lensatic stays on my neck.

I also have a Casio pathfinder watch but I rarely use the compass in it. I also have a Delorme PN60 but I still use paper maps and compass as my first go-to. The GPS is my second go-to.

I also have a compass built into my dash, plus a compass on my Garmin Nuvi GPS unit, mounted to the windshield. Plus I have a laptop with an external USGlobalSat BU353 GPS receiver.

Let's see I also have a tiny little zipper pull compass on my winter jacket.

So that's eight compasses in total :) My main compasses are the Suunto M3 and the lensatic. All the electronic stuff is secondary and just "nice to haves" in my opinion.

bcrez

Adventurer
I went and checked out the Brunton 8099 Eclipse... kind of a POS the sighting mirror was flimsy, the notch small, and not a glowing part on it. Also the base plate was thin. It has a case so I guess that is not a huge deal, but it still felt cheap, but at $70 that ain't cheap. I was in Argentina last year without a compass, so I picked up the Suunto MC-2 Global (dual hemisphere) nice big sighting mirror, and everything on it glows. I feel much more comfortable spending a little extra if I think I wont need to buy another one again. Plus it is almost exactly the same as my last one, just beefier base, and glowing everything, so i am familiar with the set up... here's a pic for us visual learners.

SuuntoMC2Global.png

AFSOC

Explorer
I use my beloved Cammenga Lensatic with Tritium illumination. Tough as nails, easy to use for simple grid and point navigation I do.
Tritium.jpg

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
As long as you can site with it, the less tech and the lighter the better.

I've been using the same Suunto mirrored compass since 1988. Not sure the technology has really evolved.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yep. Fortunately, that has no effect on which compass is purchased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles