What can you tell me about the Chevy Avalanche?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Been 3.73s in all three of our K1500 Z71s.

to the OP, I've got a lot of aux battery setup stuff referenced in my build topic and other topics here and look at the '$50 dual battery solenoid' topic in the 12v subforum for a wealth of power options.

Afraptor22

I just picked up a 2010 Avalanche with 36,000mi on it. It replaced my 80-series as our family camper for several reasons: more seat space, I need a pickup sometimes, lockable bed sides, shorter wheelbase than any other full-size crew cab, 6-speed transmission. Mine has one option, the tow package so I have a transmission cooler and 3.42 gears with a G80. I replaced the front struts with 2" lift struts and upper control arms. This leveled out the truck for now and it fit 285/70r17 tires on the stock wheels. This weekend I finished the bed rack so we can mount our RTT. I'll have to see how much this weight affects the rear suspension, but I carried an engine back there and it didn't squat. A 57' Chevy on the full Uhaul car trailer did squat it though.

Future plans will be new wheels and tires (275/70r18) and maybe a small body lift. Maybe do bumpers and sliders but I don't want to add a ton of weight.

Attachments

• 20200209_145051_compress90.jpg
    20200209_145051_compress90.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20200209_145101_compress83.jpg
    20200209_145101_compress83.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

dman93

Adventurer
Couple of questions:

- How easy is it to remove the tonneau cover completely, for hauling large loads without having to fold it up?
- With a shell or Softopper mounted up, is it realistic to fold down the midgate and use it as an SUV? Any issues with leaks, road or wind noise, etc?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Cargo covers are easy to remove. Three separate panels. They are heavy, but manageable. I would be wary of exhaust fumes with a topper and midgate down.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I like mine : BLTOffroad Avalanche

bumper3.jpg

I would stick with the 1500 and the 5.3

Long time since I have seen any posts from you Henry. Nice truck. Cheers, Chilli.. ?

dman93

Adventurer
Cargo covers are easy to remove. Three separate panels. They are heavy, but manageable. I would be wary of exhaust fumes with a topper and midgate down.
Thanks. How about sleeping in back with the cargo covers in place (no shell or SofTopper) but mid gate removed? Feet down at the tailgate.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Thanks. How about sleeping in back with the cargo covers in place (no shell or SofTopper) but mid gate removed? Feet down at the tailgate.

You could do that, but In my experience they are not fully water tight, so you might get wet in rain.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Also, if driving with the rear window removed, mid gate down and tonneau off, any dirt / dust in the bed will swirl into the cab. Ask me how I know...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles