What can i realistically tow with my G ?

Bravo30

i have a 2015 G550. we are planning to live on the road where my wife will work as a traveling RN. the jobs last for 3 months and they give you a housing stipend. Initially i though about getting an RV and towing the G on a trailer but thats out of the question because we plan on living at state parks and RV parks and the trailer will be a nightmare to deal with so that only leaves one option, towing something with the G. im trying to figure out how we can live comfortably for 3 months at a time in parks and have my G along with me.

Nathansharkey80

These G-Class rigs can tow like a tank. Get a trailer brake control and an equalizer hitch and anti-sway bars and you will be all set to tow anything you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bravo30

These G-Class rigs can tow like a tank. Get a trailer brake control and an equalizer hitch and anti-sway bars and you will be all set to tow anything you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news! I’ll look it into the components you mentioned as well as consult the manual. We’re not the looking to tow anything crazy just a medium sized trailer along the lines of an Airstream.

Last edited:

inexplorata

2005 here. We pulled a 7000-pound dual axle trailer -- a Rockwood Roo -- on a camping trip, which is our year's maximum towing weight. And while there was plenty of good pullin' going on, don't think the experience on the highway will compare to a full-sized pickup, comfort-wise.

Wheelbase is wheelbase, when you're pulling a big trailer it's still the trailer that's in charge on the highway. And sag is still sag -- your manual will discuss maximum tongue weight. But absolutely get the weight distribution hitch going as well as a competent brake controller.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Obviously, the US is different, but in Europe they are 3500 kgs. rated on a braked trailer.

Some options are for power braked trailers that allow 4500 kgs.

However, when towing that sort of weights, consider another vehicle...

Sid Post

Observer
A premium trailer brake controller and good trailer brakes are a REQUIREMENT!

I've seen too many trailers, not just U-hauls behind minivans, upside down in the median! :(

The trailer needs to be an active component for all braking, especially in panic stops and trailer sways!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles