What Camper should I get? (Project M vs AT Atlas vs GFC vs Super Pacific x1)

Trucks2019

Looking at these options and struggling to select the best option. They all seem to offer similar use case. I am planning to use it for multi-week trips all seasons with my partner and dog and would be mounted permanently to my truck.

Wondered if anyone can share their experiences? Leaning towards the super pacific as factory is closer and slightly cheaper.

jadmt

ignore button user
I talked to GFC and they are basically a year out. Not sure on the others. I think for multi week trips the Four wheel is probably the best.

djbkm

I went with ovrlnd campers myself, had looked at a few of the others but ovrlnd had everything I was looking for, and lots of custom options.

bgraboyes

I went with ovrlnd campers myself, had looked at a few of the others but ovrlnd had everything I was looking for, and lots of custom options.

Congrats on the order! I have an ovrlnd too and imagine you are gonna love it. Currently building out the inside. Have it on a f150 6.5' bed and absolutely love how much damn room we have. Previously had a gfc on a long bed taco but got tired of feeling so cramped and the terribly uncomfortable seats in the taco. From experience with both, i really like being able to have the full bed open to use when the platform is slid forward. Also love being able to have a 3" mattress and still keep bedding up top. The whole point in my mind is to make camp setup super easy and quick so having to move bedding every time was annoying to me. Also not moving the cushion to get up in the middle of the night and piss is great or to start coffee in the morning.

I think personally the ovrlnd is better than project M as well just because it is truly custom fit to your truck so maximizes the space. also not sure if you can get side hatches on both sides with the project M which was a must in my opinion.

BTW i am in no way affiliated or sponsored by ovrlnd, just a happy customer. Jay is great to work with and has continued to be responsive with all my questions regarding the build out and is just a psyched dude.

Only complaint thus far is dust. this is likely more related to the F150 tailgate which is ridiculously hard to get sealed up rather than the camper and i imagine any of the similar products would have similar problems. I am actually about to go crazy and replace my half barn doors with a full vertical hatch (or possibly full barn doors) so i can get rid of the tailgate and build an aluminum frame to seal against around the tailgate.

in the end, each of the campers have their advantages. If you want a simple, super light camper that is lower profile, gfc may be better. if you want to maximize space of the camper and care about leaving bedding setup, go for the ovrlnd. Just my 2c! happy to answer any other questions as well.

sunsetsearider

Personally, I don't understand why people buy one of the minimal pop ups and then do an extensive build out in the bed. I have a GFC. I love it. If I wanted to have all the bells and whistles, I wouldn't add them, I probably would have bought something else.

Because it's substantially cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

In my case I selected a truck cap with extra height and a tailgate replacement. When I'm finished I'll be in to it for about $3k. The closest alternative for my use case (tailgate replacement/extra height) is a 4WC, for seven times more money and six times the weight.

Wrathchild

Personally, I don't understand why people buy one of the minimal pop ups and then do an extensive build out in the bed. I have a GFC. I love it. If I wanted to have all the bells and whistles, I wouldn't add them, I probably would have bought something else.

I don’t see it any different than how/why people build out vans. The only way that I could have a pop up truck camper with some amenities on my 1500 was to get an OVRLND and build it out myself. With a FWC raven shell I’d be at least 500 lbs heavier with less space for the dog. Had I owned an HD long bed truck, there would probably be a grandby on the back. But even then I would have gotten a shell model and dumped a bunch of money into it.

skyfree

Building out is definitely not a requirement. I own an Ovrlnd and won't be doing much to it except electrical and possibly some 1" rigid foam insulation. I have bed tie downs and just strap everything down. I'm more of a "throw everything in the back" type person.

I like the full popup that OVRLND and Project M have, with vertical sidewalls instead of sloping in. This gives me a full queen size bed on a short bed Colorado ZR2. The OVRLND is 77 lbs lighter and the interior doesn't have the 13" shelf on each side, which was a deal breaker for the Project M for me. Others may really like it so personal preference there.

Project M has some advantages like insulation already built in and a window standard.

I was looking at GFC but the side panel hinge breaking issue spooked me (check out https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/what-s-up-with-hinges-breaking/136). That link is their own forum so it's no big secret and should be OK to repost here. It is a much cheaper option though, and apparently they changed the design after I was looking at it last.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'm happy with my off the shelf camper and just a few mods. However, if my carpentry skills were up to par I might be more willing to join the build it myself camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles