What AT tires have 3 ply sidewalls?

VistaCruiser

Observer
I will vouch for the toughness of the Cooper AT3! Ran them in the XL load range (between P & LT rated) & really liked them. Cruised over Colorado rocky trails like Mosquito/Tin Cup Pass etc. without a worry and very good traction when aired down to 20-16lbs. Performed well in snow at 12lbs. The LT versions of the AT3 seem to have a good tread depth also (17/32). They started me on the Cooper fan boy wagon, now I run the ST Maxx for a more aggressive bite. HTH.

Sam

gen

I am shopping for all terrains for 285/75R16. I can only get these:

Nitto Terra Grappler (not the G2 version)
Falken Wildpeak A/T (Load Rating D/8)
Toyo Open Country A/T (not the AT2 version)
Bridgestone Dueler A/T 694
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S (Load Rating D)

Are they all pretty comparable or is there one that stands out more than the others in any particular facet? I'm leaning towards Toyo or the Falken for not really logical reasons...

unabashedpraise

Adventurer

Are they all pretty comparable or is there one that stands out more than the others in any particular facet? I'm leaning towards Toyo or the Falken for not really logical reasons...
Why not the toyo at2?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I choose the Toyo at2 over the Cooper at3. All I had to go on were internet reviews saying the Cooper seemed to have soft sidewalls. No negative reviews on the Toyos that i found about that. Also the 65k mile tread wear was 10k more than the Coopers.

Overall they seemed to be very comparable in every way. At the time I had intended on getting the coopers, but the sale price went way up. It has since dropped quite a bit, but the toyos have gone up.

The LT Toyo AT2's have a 50K warranty and have 3 plys. The AT3's have a two ply sidewall.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

My neighbor's unladen F-250 burned up his Falken 285's in 23K. Discount credited him towards Nitto Terra Grapplers. In all fairness though,I didn't question him in regards to rotation and rebalance.

Last edited:

gen

My neighbor's unladen F-250 burned up his Falken 285's in 23K. Discount credited him towards Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Gotcha- thanks for the data point. My 70 Series Cruiser is about 1000 lbs lighter than an F250, which is significant.

MYT1

My Falken's have 36K on them and I think I'll be doing good to make 40K

I drive a '10 Tundra DC 4WD. 99.9% highway driving.

I have no issues with the tires though.

MYT1

Well, you just named the two tires I thought of first, lol. What tire size on what vehicle are you talking about?

The size you're looking for will probably be a factor as well.

I know Falken's Wilpeak AT has 3-ply sidewalls only in the larger sizes - http://www.falkentire.com/tires/truck-suv-tires/wildpeak/t-tire

I do see a LT295/70-17 (33x11.50R17), but those E-Load monsters weigh a whopping 74lbs each.

If you're putting tires on an 80-Series you may not care about that, but if you've got a Tacoma...

You're probably going to have to browse some tire manufacturer websites.

The Falken tires in the size I would be interested in are in fact 3 ply sidewall according to the Falken website: 275/70R/18.

I currently have Falken tires on my '10 Tundra and I have had no issues with them in size 275/65R/18.

So now I'm wondering which would be a more rugged tire, a 275/75R/18 Falken with three ply sidewalls, or the highly regarded Cooper AT3 in the same size.

I heard while the AT3 only have two plies, they are very thick plies and rival three ply sidewall tires.

You would think deciding on which tires to get was a life and death decision.

OSV

Adventurer
arguing tires is like arguing motor oil or politics, lol

i ended up with mtr2, in part because it was about the lightest 37" tire out there.

if weight wasn't a factor, i would have gone toyo in that size, because they have a good rep for reliability and long life.

those coopers look real interesting.

VistaCruiser

Observer
The Falken tires in the size I would be interested in are in fact 3 ply sidewall according to the Falken website: 275/70R/18.

I currently have Falken tires on my '10 Tundra and I have had no issues with them in size 275/65R/18.

So now I'm wondering which would be a more rugged tire, a 275/75R/18 Falken with three ply sidewalls, or the highly regarded Cooper AT3 in the same size.

I heard while the AT3 only have two plies, they are very thick plies and rival three ply sidewall tires.

You would think deciding on which tires to get was a life and death decision.

Depending on the terrain, it COULD be life or death! lol Shelf roads with extreme exposure aren't the place to learn your tire choice was wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles