What are your top 3 tools to bring for a recovery situation?

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
What do you use the rope and chain for?

They can be used for many things. For example:

Wrap around a tire to temporarily gain more traction (like a poor man’s tire chain)

Use as a makeshift winch by attaching to a wheel and anchor. The rope/chain is attached in such a way that it wraps around the wheel when the wheel turns..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kpredator

Adventurer
The good sense to not get in trouble in the
First place!
Shovel
Jack
Boards
Recovery strap

Go with another vehicle
When possible!!

1. Shovel
2. Traction boards
3. Bottle jack
Always carry the above items but if you're traveling with another vehicle(s) a snatch strap can eliminate having to use those tools.

OverlandTrade

Check out my poll on the same topic:

rnArmy

Adventurer
When you say "recovery" I'm thinking stuck/lack of forward progression not due to flat tire or mechanical failure. If by yourself (and you said "three tools"):

1. Shovel
2. Winch (and the accessories that go with it)
3. Traction boards (Maxtrax, X-bulls, etc.)

I'm assuming your vehicle has a jack; make sure it'll lift your tire off the ground (esp. if you've installed taller tires).

Would add to the list (especially if with others)

4. Tow strap (and shackles)

plh

Explorer
I'll play, with others:
1. Strap
2. Clevis
3. Shovel

I've done many recoveries of others from mud and snow. Never has a jack crossed my mind to use. Shovel, traction boards and a winch if you are alone.

MOguy

Explorer
For me, a winch with accessories, a hi-lift, a shovel and most important a buddy and a strap. I haven't use a shovel for recovery but I have dug many holes. A shovel will work but do yourself a favor get a good one and as big of a one you can fit and E Tools suck.

alia176

Explorer
My common sense
Tequilla
A hot blonde

Recovering a rig takes time so have a shot of Tequilla, talk it over with the lady (in whatever position you desire), come up with an extraction plan, then execute. Could be just as easy as asking the said blonde to flag down an UTV drive by flashing him.....

Dirt Rider

Depends on what the rest in your party are bringing, always make sure you carry what someone else forgot or does not want to bring. Check list before leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles