What are your clever storage systems/mods/tricks (aka not drawers)?

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Between this
20160529_195035-2-jpg.1266309

20160529_195112-2-jpg.1266325

This
20170301_163521-jpg.1412336

s636847883211460006_p46_i2_w1024.jpeg

and this....
20170625_204126.jpg

Plenty of storage...

Last edited:

Dazrin

Adventurer
View attachment 416657 View attachment 416656
Inside the spare tire for ropes and such.
Made by Adventure Tool Co out of CO.

Did they custom make that for you? I don't see it on their website (http://adventuretoolcompany.com/products/all/?page=1&per_page=30&Search=0), love their stuff though. I don't have a use for that now but with my old 2-door Tahoe, where the spare was mounted vertically inside the rear end, I looked for something like that for a long time and never found anything I liked.

Edit: Nevermind, it does look like a custom design. #3 here: http://adventuretoolcompany.com/custom-designs

krick3tt

Adventurer
#3 is on my LR. Paul and Amy are very good at taking ideas and turning them into quality fabrications. I will be talking to them in the fall about other custom items I have been thinking of.
We spent a bit of time going over my ideas and incorporating their expertise to make the storage bag. I made the hoops that keep the bag in its round shape and supplied them to AT for incorporation.
I also have their tool roll bag and it is great for carrying my tools.
You cannot go wrong with these people and getting quality work for your bucks.
I also made the angled steel pieced that hold the bag to the metal of the swing away carrier.

outback97

Adventurer
How did you fish the cord around the corners?

Sorry I missed this earlier, and ripperj already answered, but I wanted to provide a little more info on what worked well for me.

I knew I needed something stiffer than the very flexible cord to get it through the holes, so I used a short piece of wire from a coat hanger and attached it with heat shrink tubing. Then I wrapped a little bit of scotch tape around the junction, so the edge of the heat shrink wouldn't catch on the holes. Worked great.

southpier

Expedition Leader
Some good ideas here.

The more time I spend organizing/preparing/using the truck, the more I come to believe in the "less is more" saying. Keeping things simple, clean, and mobile is the way to go.

most of these rigs carry more things than I have in my apartment AND garage combined.

hemifoot

Observer
every spring i pull out my rear seats in my cc ram 2500 for all the gear for our fishing trips.what doesn't fit back there rides in the boat.we hate loading everything on the camper floor.then they get put back in for the winter.it's amazing how much stuff ends up back there.i also added 2 front hitch receivers that i use for mounting a carrier,especially handy for throwing on a few rounds of firewood along the way,or extra fuel,water jugs or propane tanks .the top hitch carries my winch.i can disconnect and attach it to the rear hitch if i need to.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
most of these rigs carry more things than I have in my apartment AND garage combined.

35yrs of camping, dirt biking, off-roading, road-tripping. The 'basic kit' grows. It's all stuff that's been needed or used at one time or another. Just towed a broke-down delivery / box van out of an intersection a couple weeks ago. Took me all of 30 seconds to pull a tow strap out and hook us up. Just a couple minutes and the road was cleared, he was safely in a parking lot and I was on my way.

The other thing about the low platform / drawer setup is that I still maintain some utility with the Suburban. And my flimsy-looking wood platform / drawers stands up to 600# of concrete without any trouble.

storagebuild155.jpg

Xterabl

Adventurer
Given the current climate, it is always good to think of new ways to secure your 2A tools in mobile situations. Thanks for raising this very important topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles