What are you using for stabilizers/levelers on your trailer with a RTT?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's a cool alternative. Are the receivers bolted or welded on?

Bolted. You can see the two bolt heads on the underside of the receiver in this photo:

Stabilizers4.jpg

johnmoo

Depending on how far along you are, check out adventure trailers,makers of the Horizon and Chaser. They are now selling there air ride system. Great set-up, high ground clearance, no axle to get hung-up on and between the two air bags an jack stand you can level it.

TheJosh

Explorer
Depending on how far along you are, check out adventure trailers,makers of the Horizon and Chaser. They are now selling there air ride system. Great set-up, high ground clearance, no axle to get hung-up on and between the two air bags an jack stand you can level it.

Isn't that suspension setup like $2500?

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
Simple perforated tube stabilizers.
Weld on the pinned sleeve and slide them in.
Most hardware and Big box stores carry perforated tube for you to make custom lengths.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...e=googlebase&gclid=CIKLrLGM37YCFcIv4AodG24ARQ

These are a good option too. We bought these first and they ended up not working for our design and now I'm selling them if anyone is interested. :D
http://forum.ih8mud.com/mud-bay-miscellaneous-items/725536-fulton-28-drop-leg-stabilizer-jack.html
y2ydusat.jpg

Shameless plug I know...

-Daniel Kent

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
As far as leveling, just find a rock or log to drive up onto, or dig a small hole to lower the side that needs it. Super simple.

Stabilizing; most expo trailers are small and lightweight (under 3k lbs) and 3 points of contact are already on the ground dispersing said weight (2 tires and a tongue jack). So a light duty item will do the trick. Try finding a log long/tall enough, or cut one to size. Use your existing hi-lift. Back up to a stump or rock/boulder. There are many simple idea's that can work, no need to over think such extravagant options.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
In my trailer, with no supports and a Mt Hood CVT with 4 people in it, it would be pretty unsafe IMHO. Supports are required...no question in my case, cant speak for the OP. I used the fold down supports posted earlier, picked up used in new condition and lopped the ends off. Standard steel 1.5" x 1.5" (if I recall) tube slid in nice and tight to the end and 1 bolt secures it in place. Cost me about $30.00 and a bit of my time. Rubber feet are optional.

If I had 4 I would have done them front and rear. I had already picked up a pair of wind down legs with weld on brackets locally for about $15.00 each new on sale (loss leader) and fabbed up some brackets with the help of a buddy.

Works great, super cheap, totally stable, very happy.

DiscoCO

Observer
Update on the Ultra-Fab slide supports - I did pick some up last weekend and tried them out. I bought 4 of them to put at each corner. I did try them in a few different positions (rear corner, side corner, etc.) and while they were solid as far as downward pressure and even lifted the trailer up off the springs a bit with just a few turns, they were still a bit wobbly side to side. I realize I need to chock my wheels better (and get the parking brake hooked up!), but I just wanted to share with those folks who were considering the slide supports that there is some movement still. They certainly give support for the RTT and the 2 adults/2 kids that will sleep in it, but the movement of the trailer doesn't make wifey completely confident yet...and isn't that what it's mostly about?

VanIsle_Greg

It worked out really well, and it was pretty simple. I like the weld on bungs, and would have welded them directly to the tub/frame but I had waited to make my decesion until after I painted it, so I needed to make the brackets to save the paint. All 6 coats of it...lol.The wind down jacks work great, simple and cheap. lots of travel too for uneven ground.

shermantank55

Trailer jacks

I also went with a crank down trailer jack-two in rear and one in front. I cut off the handles and welded 3/4" nuts in their place for use with a cross style lug wrench or small drill driver with socket.
I installed a second mounting bracket up high to relocate the jacks when in transit. I also mounted small levels at front and rear to aid in leveling.
Jack: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Pro-Series/PS1401080303.html
Extra mount: http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Bulldog/BD500240.html
Cheers,
Greg

Attachments

• DSCN0775.jpg
    DSCN0775.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN0698.jpg
    DSCN0698.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0699.jpg
    DSCN0699.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 128

VanIsle_Greg

I also went with a crank down trailer jack-two in rear and one in front. I cut off the handles and welded 3/4" nuts in their place for use with a cross style lug wrench or small drill driver with socket.
I installed a second mounting bracket up high to relocate the jacks when in transit.

I was literally thinking about that today while working on the trailer! The handles are the only part I don't like because they hang down or stick out. Good plan.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
Update on the Ultra-Fab slide supports - I did pick some up last weekend and tried them out. I bought 4 of them to put at each corner. I did try them in a few different positions (rear corner, side corner, etc.) and while they were solid as far as downward pressure and even lifted the trailer up off the springs a bit with just a few turns, they were still a bit wobbly side to side. I realize I need to chock my wheels better (and get the parking brake hooked up!), but I just wanted to share with those folks who were considering the slide supports that there is some movement still. They certainly give support for the RTT and the 2 adults/2 kids that will sleep in it, but the movement of the trailer doesn't make wifey completely confident yet...and isn't that what it's mostly about?

Well that's a bummer! Thanks for posting. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to mount two rear crank downs.

-Daniel Kent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles