What are you using for stabilizers/levelers on your trailer with a RTT?

DiscoCO

Observer
My CDN M101 build continues. I have searched and seen several threads on stabilizers and levelers. Looking at a lot of builds though it doesn't appear many people use anything (at least permanently attached). I realize keeping the trailer attached to the vehicle gives it some stability, but I would like to unhitch as often as possible.

So those with a RTT what are you using to stabilizer and/or level your trailer? I realize stabilizing and leveling are two very different things. At this point I'm really just looking to stabilize when the RTT is deployed. I have considered the BAL C-JACK, the Valterra Universal Stabilizer (which it looks like Adventure Trailers use or at least promote), the Harbor Freight (or similar) Drop Leg Jack, Hi-Lift, and some others.

It all comes down to cost, ease of use, effectiveness, and ground clearance (in my mind). The Valterra seems simple, inexpensive, and easily movable. The BAL seems substantial, but a bit more expensive and requires some modifications or additions to the frame to get it mounted. I've had these on pop-ups and travel trailers and they worked great. The HF Drop Leg seems to be used by a few, but aesthetically I'm not sure I care for the look.

I'd appreciate any comments on what others are using or have used that worked for them (or didn't work).

Cheers!

cwadej

just a guy
I like a set of the BAL C series as it allows you to level and stabilize on uneven terrain. I just dont see that possible with the Valterra.

gordinho80

Adventurer
I just picked up these from Craigslist... I have to extend the legs because my trailer sits so high.

I might only need 2 so I might be listing the other 2 for sale soon.

97aac641d187912810fa40708a2b03e5723f65a1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Just installed these on my current project:

StabilizerJacks2_zps57550105.jpg

Made up some brackets to angle them out to achieve better stability:

StabilizerJacks1_zps8b9b6f73.jpg

gordinho80

Adventurer
Yours appear to be a longer version. I have to cut and extend mine... But that is the same way I was going to mount mine.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
We are going with something like these.
ereryjym.jpg

We had a hard time finding something to mount that would be tall enough for our 2' ground clearance. We'll just have to stow these away in the cargo area when not in use.

-Daniel Kent

Cowboy59

Observer
I don't know if I would trust the bal c jacks to lift the trailer in order to level it. I had this style of jack on a travel trailer and I don't think they would lift a trailer.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
I don't know if I would trust the bal c jacks to lift the trailer in order to level it. I had this style of jack on a travel trailer and I don't think they would lift a trailer.

My thinking was to lower the front of the trailer, put the rear jacks where I need them and then lift the front up (thus raising and semi leveling off the trailer).

-Daniel Kent

DiscoCO

Observer
I did see those swing down jacks, but like you mentioned they might be bit short without modification. My trailer sits at about 23" from the ground.

I saw, but overlooked, those Ultra-Fab supports. They might be just the trick. Like you mentioned they'll need to be stored during travel, but they may give enough flexibility in height adjustment and seem to have a good weight capacity (1400lbs combined I believe).

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I did see those swing down jacks, but like you mentioned they might be bit short without modification. My trailer sits at about 23" from the ground.

I mounted the swing-down jacks on this trailer in receivers, which gave them several inches more reach.

Stabilizers1.jpg

In the retracted position:

Stabilizers2.jpg

And I drilled extra holes for the hitch pin in the other sides of the tube that goes in the receiver so they could be rotated 90 degrees if needed to allow for more ground clearance/departure angle:

Stabilizers3.jpg

And they can be removed when not needed:

Stabilizers4.jpg

And just for reference, the bottom of the frames of the trailer above and the trailer below are 21" from the ground:

StabilizerJacks2_zps57550105.jpg

TheJosh

Explorer
We are going with something like these.
ereryjym.jpg

We had a hard time finding something to mount that would be tall enough for our 2' ground clearance. We'll just have to stow these away in the cargo area when not in use.

-Daniel Kent

I'm going the same route and already ordered mine and exactly how you mentioned lowering the front was what I had planned too. My trailer frame sits 30" above the ground and its taken me along time to find something that will work without looking stupid and these you can just easily remove

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
I'm going the same route and already ordered mine and exactly how you mentioned lowering the front was what I had planned too. My trailer frame sits 30" above the ground and its taken me along time to find something that will work without looking stupid and these you can just easily remove

Yeah I'm was in the same boat to find something with the right height adjustment.

-Daniel Kent

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
I level with something like this:
Leveling_Blocks.jpg

And then use our adjustable stabilizer in the rear receiver. Drop it down to the ground, give the front jack a couple turns and solid as a rock.
trailer_stabilizer.jpg

-Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94