What are you using for a coffee maker and coffee brand when camping/overlanding?

Kgorman

Observer
We rock Pete’s or BRCC and grind it before we leave, then boil water and French press. Sometimes I Aeropress. We use a giant REI French press.

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
I recently purchased an Aeropress for camping and after trying it out here at home I’ve began using it daily. I love th coffee that I am able to make with it and cleanup is incredibly simple. I’ve tried about every method of making coffee that you can and this is (aside from my Bonavita coffee pot) my favorite so far.

My favorite coffee is Black Rifle Coffee Company’s Beyond Black.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Good for you..
Speaking of coffee , though I am pretty well hooked on caffeine I'm always in search of max caffeine.
My research has discovered the less roasted the bean the higher caffeine, basically, the darker, richer , stronger means the beans are roasted longer which means the caffeine has been cooked off.
I love the taste of " good strong" coffee flavor but I also love caffeine.
I probably need an intervention..
Any suggestions?

gatorgrizz27

For backpacking trips it’s a BRS stove, Toaks 550 ml ti mug, and Starbucks via columbian. Really hard to beat the weight.

For car camping, it’s a Coleman 2 burner propane stove, blue enamel percolator and mug, and some pre ground coffee from the grocery store. I like that setup because it’s,what my dad used camping growing up.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
For backpacking trips it’s a BRS stove, Toaks 550 ml ti mug, and Starbucks via columbian. Really hard to beat the weight.
I've got the same thing all packed into a Stanley Adventure cookset https://amzn.to/2SGJRAs and love it!

Although my purpose is a bit different. Usually in the pre-dawn mornings I go do sunrise photography and brew up 2 cups of coffee to take with me in a screw-top, vacuum mug. But some mornings I'm lazy and end up in a rush so I just grab this prepacked setup and a water bottle, and make the coffee on site.

Stove + Fuel + Lighter + Spoon+ Cookware + Coffee + Sugar
All in a container about the same size as my 2 cup coffee mug. The instant coffee isn't the best I've had but it's a million times better than nothing on a windy ridge watching the sun come up.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I love that "pour over" is considered a gourmet way of brewing coffee now. :ROFLMAO:

I grew up watching my dad do gourmet "pour over" coffee with a plastic filter holder and his tub of Folgers in the morning.
Almost every generic Mr.Coffee and industrial sized coffee machines cranking out brew in cheap greasy spoon cafeterias are now basically gourmet "pour over" coffee makers.
8-10 years ago they were demonizing Mr.Coffee and filter based brewing because it traps a lot of flavorful oils in the paper of the filter. The only REAL way to do it was french press... Then aero press...
Now we're back to filters. So fancy!

I'm still waiting for the coffee hipsters to rediscover percolators, it's only a matter of time.

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Almost every generic Mr.Coffee and industrial sized coffee machines cranking out brew in cheap greasy spoon cafeterias are now basically gourmet "pour over" coffee makers.

That’s not quite true, most drip coffee makers are not comparable to pour over for two main reasons. First they don’t get the water hot enough for a proper extraction and secondly they don’t allow the coffee to bloom because they don’t have a pre-infusion setting. There are exceptions to this but they aren’t generic coffee makers and are usually very expensive.

For more information, check out the Specialty Coffee Association and take a look at the coffee makers they recommend:

I purchased one of the Bona Vita makers they recommend and really love the coffee that it produces.

No help from me, percolater coffee pot and some version of ground coffee over a fire. Given my choice, Cafe Du Monde w/chicory or Community. Well boiled and scalding hot with a touch of Bushmills Black
community coffee is my choice and there's no other way than to perc in my opinion

CSG

Explorer
I love that "pour over" is considered a gourmet way of brewing coffee now. :ROFLMAO:

I grew up watching my dad do gourmet "pour over" coffee with a plastic filter holder and his tub of Folgers in the morning.
8-10 years ago they were demonizing Mr.Coffee and filter based brewing because it traps a lot of flavorful oils in the paper of the filter. The only REAL way to do it was french press... Then aero press...
Now we're back to filters. So fancy!

I'm still waiting for the coffee hipsters to rediscover percolators, it's only a matter of time.

Couldn't agree more! I've posted in this thread about using the $3 Melitta single cup filter holder and #4 filters. Simple and great coffee (if you use good coffee). But as of late, at home anyway, I've gone back to using a Moka post AKA stovetop espresso. I love espresso but my old machine died and it's a lot of effort and $$ for a couple ounces of brew. The Moka pots (I have two Bialettis, a 6 oz and 12 oz - sold as 3 cup and 6 cup models) make great Italian style coffee and are, for all practical purposes, percolators. Now, that's fancy! I haven't taken them camping because clean-up is a bit of a nuisance compared to tossing a #4 filter full of grounds. BTW, my coffee of choice is freshly ground daily (when possible) San Francisco Bay French roast whole beans (Costco).

1566312758529.png

Last edited:

usmcgunrock

I've been using the same percolator that I got when I was in the Marines. Purchased it back in '98 and finally 2 weeks ago that clear top cracked and a replacement on the way. Coffee wise? I'm not picky.. Chuck full o' nuts, 8 o'clock coffee, folgers, etc and my fave Black Rifle 20190831_082027.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20190823_034801.jpg
    20190823_034801.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 38

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Good for you..
Speaking of coffee , though I am pretty well hooked on caffeine I'm always in search of max caffeine.
My research has discovered the less roasted the bean the higher caffeine, basically, the darker, richer , stronger means the beans are roasted longer which means the caffeine has been cooked off.
I love the taste of " good strong" coffee flavor but I also love caffeine.
I probably need an intervention..
Any suggestions?

BRCC Caffeinated AF. My absolute favorite coffee that just happens to have twice the amount of caffeine as a regular cup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles