What are you using for a coffee maker and coffee brand when camping/overlanding?

TylerA23

After reading several posts, I got the Stanley Cook & Brew French Press.
I’m no connoisseur, but it taste delicious to me (even with Aldi brand coffee)

Attachments

• E5F3C99B-95DB-4F43-8029-CFD2C23211FB.jpeg
    E5F3C99B-95DB-4F43-8029-CFD2C23211FB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 3C48B3F5-58E9-42EC-BA34-A1D4896E4220.jpeg
    3C48B3F5-58E9-42EC-BA34-A1D4896E4220.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • A26485DB-1007-4BA5-A8F5-E7203B24C884.jpeg
    A26485DB-1007-4BA5-A8F5-E7203B24C884.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

plh

Explorer
I stopped HOT brewing coffee years ago. Grounds and water in pitcher, pour through a paper filter. Refrigerate 24 hrs. Cold brew a double strength concentrated batch 32oz. at a time. Mixed 50/50 with water(@ serving) lasts me 4/5 days. Heated or cold, excellent. Why cold brewed coffee? No acidity, and left overs reheated taste just as good. So no waste

Coffee should be hot brewed!

(just my opinion)

another_mike

Adventurer
I’ve tried cold brew, just don’t like the taste. Recently been using the Hario V60 dripper and server. Along with a long spout kettle.

Reactions: plh

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Years ago we "tested" nearly 20 different coffee beans from Winco, and found one we loved.

Since then, thats what we do. We coarse grind them at the store, then seal them in airtight stainless canisters for storage.

Then they are used for either the french press (YUM) or a simple pour-over drip.

TylerA23

I recently gave the cold brew thing a shot. I was actually pretty impressed.

It will likely be the way I drink my afternoon coffee, and how I’ll drink my coffee in the warmer months.

Very refreshing.

another_mike

Adventurer
Store bought cold brew is horrible IMO. You like fresh brew, fresh cold brew your own.
I also dislike cold brew, and I went as far as buying a grinder and doing the coarse grind myself... still dont like it.

I even went as far as weighing the grams of grinds per 6 oz of water, comparing it to when I hot brew, to see if I was doing something way different.... and I wasnt.

Taco-Bender

A couple of years ago a friend was telling me about the whole pour over process and the off gassing of the beans and blah, blah, blah, and on and on. I stood there looking at him like he was from a creature from Mars or something, thinking, ain't nobody got time for that.

Well, I do like my coffee, and after thinking about what he said on and off for a few weeks, I took the plunge.

The BEST cup of coffee I ever had, and I was sold. Pour overs are the only way I make coffee now, whether at home or out camping.

I get the darkest, greasiest, beans I can can find, usually from Trader Joe's, and grind fresh for every cup.

I really like the easy cleanup and no water waste when out in the truck. And, I find the hand grinding of the beans rather relaxing, if not somewhat therapeutic, while waiting for the water to boil.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Everything looks too clean and shiny, like it's one of those commercials where people are in the wilderness but all their clothes are fresh pressed and they look like they just came from the barber.

My coffee set up looks like it just came from a war zone!

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

goin camping

Explorer
French press and a can of Chock Full O Nuts.

Not real swank or impressive but a good fast cup in the morning is what I'm after.

Taco-Bender

Everything looks too clean and shiny, like it's one of those commercials where people are in the wilderness but all their clothes are fresh pressed and they look like they just came from the barber.

My coffee set up looks like it just came from a war zone!

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Yeah, I guess I should have bought all my stuff at a garage sale so I could look more "authentic".

Note to self: only buy used, never new.

SBDuller

Yeah, I guess I should have bought all my stuff at a garage sale so I could look more "authentic".

Note to self: only buy used, never new.

..im with you on the pour-over but did not know what it was called. i've got a similar shiny pot, two actually one for home and one in the truck box. Pete's French roast is the only whole bean i choose. i do also use a 'moka-pot' for stove top espresso

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles