What are you using for a coffee maker and coffee brand when camping/overlanding?

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Did someone say coffee?

20190227_142518_1_.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
My wife is a big coffee drinker, and not so much of a camper (or should I say "Overlander"?). But she'll be going to the NW Overland Rally with me this summer (she's a good sport), so to keep her happy and caffeinated, I just bought one of those Aero Press coffee things partially because of this thread. I told her to start practicing with it so when we go, she'll be good with it. I'm more of a bottled Starbucks Mocha kinda guy, so I'm not the coffee making expert.

Any quick tips for her using this thing? We haven't even taken it out of the mailing package yet - it just arrived this week. I know there are a bunch of you-tubes out there (got any good ones you'd recommend?).

tatanka48

My wife is a big coffee drinker, and not so much of a camper (or should I say "Overlander"?). But she'll be going to the NW Overland Rally with me this summer (she's a good sport), so to keep her happy and caffeinated, I just bought one of those Aero Press coffee things partially because of this thread. I told her to start practicing with it so when we go, she'll be good with it. I'm more of a bottled Starbucks Mocha kinda guy, so I'm not the coffee making expert.

Any quick tips for her using this thing? We haven't even taken it out of the mailing package yet - it just arrived this week. I know there are a bunch of you-tubes out there (got any good ones you'd recommend?).

your bridal unit should be quite happy w/ the press

after searching the specific unit i can see it isn't at all different than the one i use for leisure solo travel

YOUR JOB will be to provide her w/ a continuing supply of almost boiling water

to heat a larger amount and keep it simmering or heating a cup worth at a time... that's up to you

for a treat you could acquire a vintage grinder like from an old chuck wagon and provide her w/ a fresh supply of good beans so she can grind her beans fresh for each cup

or maybe even an old kitchen style grinder

this would give her bragin rights to one of/if not the finest freshest cuppa in camp

AND it will be in your best interest to keep her in her coffee if you enjoy her company ;-)

T

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
The issue while camping or overlander is water.. as in using as little as possible... And carrying as little stuff as possible... pre grind your coffee for the trip and place in an airtight container to lock in freshness.. buy a plastic Melika pour through unit.. and disposable white melika #4 filters ... Heat water and pour over grounds into your cup

Nothing to wash.. and the coffee grounds will help keep your garbage from smelling bad..
Agreed 100%. I said as much in this thread earlier and on Mud as well. At home, I grind daily but for a trip, I take up to a week's worth. Longer than that, I'll try to get some fresh ground on the road. A Melitta filter holder is less than $5 and filters, bought right (like the pack of 400 from Costco) are a penny or two each. Brew into a thermal mug like a Yeti (I like the 20 oz Ozark Trail although I have a Yeti as well), add a Yeti Magslide lid, and your coffee will stay hot for 2-3 hours or longer. Too many guys make it silly hard with all the gadgets and mess in dealing with used grounds. I posted this photo already but here it is again:

26477166919_2eebbda672_b.jpg

rgallant

Adventurer
I travel alone for the most part the pour over has worked great. The filters are just paper, I keep an old plastic Folgers container to toss them into when I am done and either burn them or compost at home.

I grind coffee at home for ease of use, although I have considered getting a hand grinder and grind on the trail.

Everything I need to make coffee is kept in one container, I can pull just that out to make a cup on trail in about 5 minutes using a Jet Boil and be on my way.

Reactions: CSG

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Wife and I use an Ultimate Survival Technologies silicone collapsible coffee drip pour over, and water heated in a pan over some type of flame (wood, propane, butane, iso....). Used to use a Mr. Coffee until I ran out of electricity a couple of times. Wish I had kept the filter holder for filling my Scepter MWC.

We have been known to bring a burr grinder and beans such as Seattle’s Best Post Alley or ground packaged coffee ranging from 8 o’clock original to other higher grade brands. Depending on size of overlanding vehicle and length of trip supplies may be bought as we proceed or as availability allows.

We try to start with 2 20 liter MWC filled with Berkey purified water, and a spare to gather water to feed the Berkey.

Attachments

• CF441DE9-CCF2-43F2-8C6A-AE53FAD77C10.jpeg
    CF441DE9-CCF2-43F2-8C6A-AE53FAD77C10.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 8F6C6354-AAEE-498B-AE5F-9483FA305B4E.jpeg
    8F6C6354-AAEE-498B-AE5F-9483FA305B4E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 20

4xdog

Explorer
On a safari trip to one of the private reserves adjacent to Kruger National Park a few years ago, here's what the guides use for morning coffee break on the bullbar/grille of the Land Rover game viewer. These stainless steel French presses brewed a pretty decent cuppa, and are stronger than many I've seen and used. I ride steel bicycle frames, too, and for things that gotta last, believe strongly that "steel is real".
i-WCntwqs-X3.jpg

The same press was in my tent (or really, luxo-half-tent) for my morning coffee before going out on the trails ahead of sunrise.
i-dXXDjwf-X3.jpg

Available through many sources and almost certainly imported from China, here's the version on Amazon. They come in several sizes, with matching accessories for those inclined to that kind of stylin' by the campfire (or bullbar.)

jadmt

ignore button user
On a safari trip to one of the private reserves adjacent to Kruger National Park a few years ago, here's what the guides use for morning coffee break on the bullbar/grille of the Land Rover game viewer. These stainless steel French presses brewed a pretty decent cuppa, and are stronger than many I've seen and used. I ride steel bicycle frames, too, and for things that gotta last, believe strongly that "steel is real".
i-WCntwqs-X3.jpg

The same press was in my tent (or really, luxo-half-tent) for my morning coffee before going out on the trails ahead of sunrise.
i-dXXDjwf-X3.jpg

Available through many sources and almost certainly imported from China, here's the version on Amazon. They come in several sizes, with matching accessories for those inclined to that kind of stylin' by the campfire (or bullbar.)
every time I hear steel is real I think of this poem. I ride steel too. Steel hand made ritchey and serotta are a couple in my stable.

GOLD is for the mistress - silver for the maid" -
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade! "

" Good! " said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

4xdog

Explorer
every time I hear steel is real I think of this poem. I ride steel too. Steel hand made ritchey and serotta are a couple in my stable.

Most of my miles are put on a Waterford road frame built by Dave Wages when he was there -- the best frame I've ever ridden. I also have a now-vintage Ritchey mountain bike (an Ascent Comp) from back when Tom was still brazing the main triangles. And an Alex Singer, one of the last with design input from Ernest Czuka and built by his son Olivier, who now runs that historic shop in Paris.

All steel, by the way. The Singer was made a few years ago from Reynolds 531 DB throughout -- newly drawn. When you're the Alex Singer shop, Reynolds will custom make just about any tubeset you want...

Back to coffee... Now that I've added a 2015 Gen 2 Tacoma to my stable, with inverter mounted in the bed, perhaps I'll take my Nespresso on the next camping trip!

Last edited:

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I use boiling water and crappy JFG instant.

Reason is that it reminds me of being young and in the Marines. Sitting around, bitching about the cold/heat/rain/humidity. Fun times. It's the only thing I don't try and be comfortable with. I actually enjoy the taste while out on the trail, lol.

hemifoot

Observer
i use a coleman camping drip coffee maker for the simple reason that my wife or i get out of bed,start the maker and it warms the camper at the same time and then fill up a couple travel mugs,thermos,flask of baileys irish cream and jump in the boat for a few hours of fishing before breakfast.every morning without fail.and for coffee its a big tin of tims dark roast to counteract the baileys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles