What are the companies I could buy a composite "box" from?

dentedvw

Wire twister
Looking for box only, not a built out camper, our budget won't allow that.
I had been looking at used Uhaul trucks, to take the box from for our Ram 5500, and my wife wants to know why we don't build our own, since she read somewhere that you can. I feel like they would be out of our budget, but to be honest, I don't even know what a composite kit or box would actually cost. I am guessing many tens of thousands. Whereas a used Uhaul with box is just a few thousand. I know it isn't fully composite, but they are built fairly sturdy overall.
Living in Utah, we have had run ins with occasional trees in our current 4x4 van, and I would like the box to be sturdy enough to take a bit of occasional rubbing. That rules out any thinwall boxes, in my thoughts.

java

Expedition Leader
Total composites does DIY kits. Pretty slick, and will build to whatever design you want.

My body was made by Tri Van, it's all 1/8" aluminum. Will also do any design, had held up to trees really well!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

opp

Observer
the kit I used for my trailer went together fast. fiberglass Skelton frame and any infill you want the frame has tabs on top and sides on the frame cut glue and go

HayStax

Boxmanufaktur are stupid expensive, may be worth it but not a budget item at all.

Total composites have it figured out.

Might look into Tern Overland

Anyone who has bought or built a box willing to share the rough cost of it (just the box/shell, not all the appliances, finish, etc). There seems to be so little info out there on cost when it comes to composites

The Artisan

Adventurer
Looking for box only, not a built out camper, our budget won't allow that.
I had been looking at used Uhaul trucks, to take the box from for our Ram 5500, and my wife wants to know why we don't build our own, since she read somewhere that you can. I feel like they would be out of our budget, but to be honest, I don't even know what a composite kit or box would actually cost. I am guessing many tens of thousands. Whereas a used Uhaul with box is just a few thousand. I know it isn't fully composite, but they are built fairly sturdy overall.
Living in Utah, we have had run ins with occasional trees in our current 4x4 van, and I would like the box to be sturdy enough to take a bit of occasional rubbing. That rules out any thinwall boxes, in my thoughts.
I will sell you my prototype. Exo cage sika 252. All panels are made of 2.5 eps and full phenolic solid sheets and ceramic bead insulation coating. I have a 2 part poly coating machine coming and could hardcoat the outside. Interior is 12 x 7 x 6.8
I have a patent pending hard side poptopper coming out that adds 36" but can go taller if needed. I can adapt one to it, would be like a small earthcruiser exd. Can sell as a shell or finished as shown.
Kevin
Build thread
Fuso Composite Camper - Under Construction | Expedition Portal
20170902_133304.jpg

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Depending on your skill set and/or what you are willing to do or learn, you could likely build your own composite shell quite cheaply. Total Composites builds their panels in China from foam and fiberglass, where a company like Box Manufaktur builds their panels in Germany to quite high standards, for other companies such as Bliss, Action Mobil. Obviously European labour and materials costs are higher, as are costs associated with ISO or CE certification, building your own manufacturing facility, etc. Door and window profiles are cut on a CNC router during construction and the fiberglass cloth is laid into the form. Some companies cut simple square holes, after the fact. The former is the preferred method.

Many companies sell thin fiberglass sheet, allowing you to avoid wet layup. You can also purchase phenolic sheet, which is basically a linen/cotton or fiberglass cloth soaked in phenolic resin. EPS sheets are cheap and while not the best material for long term use or serious off road driving, many camper boxes, reefer boxes and ice truck boxes have been made using it. Neither EPS nor XPS are structural foams. For that, you will need to purchase something like Divinycell, which is quite expensive.

Using a thin, spreadable industrial adhesive or a two part contact cement and a heavy J-roller, should get you by, but panel manufacturing trade knowledge is closely guarded and used on a larger scale than what you will be doing, so you are kind of on your own in a sense. Some trial and error will be in order, but it's not rocket science. You are gluing a thin skin to a core material. Joints can be flashed with (comparatively heavy) alloy or steel angle iron or covered with a hemmed "tape" which is not tape at all, just a narrow strip of cloth, that would require wet layup to cover seams and tie everything together. There is plenty of info on here and in the boat building community, so if you are keen to have a go, just jump in and go for it. Try to avoid wood and watch your weight, it will add up quickly. If you are careful, a 10 foot long by 6.5 foot wide shell could weigh under 350 pounds, sans angle iron.

Decide what is important to you before you start building. Do you have tons of time and a small budget? Do you want a four season camper? Will you need to purchase hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of tools? Do you have a clean, dry space in which to construct the panels? Are you concerned with insulation more than noise? Do you want two windows or ten windows? All of these decisions will affect how your box is built.

Last edited:

billiebob

U-Haul boxes are indestructible. Definitely a BestBuy. And the box is built if you buy one, ready to be outfitted.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I bought a 24' Uhaul box in good shape for 800. Will have to shorten it up some but you can't beat the price for the quality of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles