What are the best sources of air lines, manifolds and fitting for on-board air?

ramblinChet

Hello everyone - I know we have a few experts in the group that have spent much time researching the finest airlines, manifolds and fittings to use with an on-board air system so please reply and share your choices with me. In the near future I will be installing an Extreme Outback air compressor to be used for airing up my 37" tires and blowing trail dust off my camper once I park.

I would imagine I will also be using this same air system to power an ARB air locker also but I am planning to use their hose and fittings unless there is something better. Thanks in advance!

Alloy

You can spend 10X for brand name laser etched fittings that are produced in the same offshore factory.

Rubber hoses stay flexible when the temp drops.

Push to connect fitting are really one to three time use. More use contaminates the Oring. Use a compression fitting on something that needs to be taken apart.

Aluminum tanks don't rust and contaminate the system. Tanks need a drain for the water (freezes in winter)......make sure the drain is the low point. A horizontal tank with a side drain that is not level does not drain. Vertical tanks with an end drain are best

Copper between the compessor and tank allows the air to cool.

The only thing I pay a little more for is couplings. These I buy brass / high flow / name brand......I recently bought stainless steel to try out though.

mobydick 11

Try going to any place that sells heavy truck parts . Big trucks mostly have air brakes air ride cabs and even the transmissions and rear axles use air . They always have lots of lines and fittings in stock .The key to plastic line is to make sure you use the little piece of copper pipe that slides inside the plastic pipe at the fittings .

WOODY2

Adventurer
Try going to any place that sells heavy truck parts . Big trucks mostly have air brakes air ride cabs and even the transmissions and rear axles use air . They always have lots of lines and fittings in stock .The key to plastic line is to make sure you use the little piece of copper pipe that slides inside the plastic pipe at the fittings .
Hose material is called Synflex and if you get fittings make sure they are DOT legal. ARB uses metric sized tubing FYI. It's not rocket science and the inclusion of an air tank is seldom worth the issues involved IMHO.

WVI

Adventurer
I have always done what mobydick mentioned.
I have also used the small white non DOT found at home improvement stores when in a jam.

Alloy

Oh yeah .....if you use plastic make sure to cut it 90°....best to use a cutter.

1629508898691.png

Last time I needed a few fitting I went into a (big national brand) truck shop paid a stupid price. Most of the time I buy from a place that sells hose.

colodak

Adventurer
the push connect air tubing fails quicker than regular compression fitting tubing. Most of the semi manufacturers use the push connect fittings for small airlines, and they are the most common failure or out of service item, seems like every PM service on my semi, the mechanic is replacing a push connect hose, either with a new one or with all new compression fittings and hose.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Total agree with @Verkstad. Just use quality Festo, Parker, etc parts. Whatever you can get at typical industrial suppliers or McMaster, MSC, Grainger.

They make stainless push fit connectors for food processing intended to be washed down with sanitizing chemicals that might be better for areas that expect heavy road salt but I never had an issue with regular nickel-plated brass when I've had ARB air lockers. I'm sure quality plastic body fittings would be fine.

ARB blue line hose is 5mm, which is kind of unusual in the U.S. We tend to get either 4mm or 6mm. Trying to use 3/16" is IMO asking for issues. If you want to convert to something else the solenoids I had used 1/8 BPT for the threaded side.

One fitting that's very handy is a coupler (union). The nylon hose ARB includes is fine 99% of the time but there's always a chance of nick or melting. With a coupler it's a 10 second fix - cut the defect out, trim the ends square, insert both and Bob's you uncle. You'll never have to buy beers at camp if you have a few to save people on the trail.

l_us8mss.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior