What are the best 4 person camper options?

svinyard

We are a family of 4 and while my boys are only 8 & 5, they are growing. We need a lot of portability for mountain biking, fishing and overnight ski trips etc across the west and BC. Need something portable that isn't super heavy/massive, fits us for the minimal time we are inside...but would still work well for overnighting at the ski resort parking lot the night before. At the moment I have a 2005 F250 4x4 and am considering putting some money into a slide-in camper but am open to other solutions as well if they exist. A trailer won't work and I want to tow a light drift boat once in a while and use a bike rack. Not wanting to spend more than 30k$-ish, which still seems like a lot.

I've looked at traditional slide-in campers but despite their size and weight, they are extremely limited for 4 people even if just for sleeping. The fold out dinette stuff is pretty lame/tight. Bunks are really small. Slide out Artic Fox 811 is like 4k pounds (Crazy heavy) and still not much of a sleeper and still made out of wood framing etc iirc. I've seen the 4x4 Sprinter's modded out with the top that raises up into a loft for kids. They were cool but VERY tight still and the professionally made ones were around 150k$ new.

The only thing that seems geared towards this is Scout campers with their Roost tent, sleeps 6 (tight) and light weight. I'm fine with going with one of those but wanted to see if there is a better option I'm just not familiar with.

EZ45

Check out the lance 830 truck camper. Not made anymore and a little hard to find but they are lighter weight and sleep 4 comfortably with the rear tent option.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The cabovers pick up weight fast. My friend's Lance 835 is pretty tight inside. It's mounted on an '05 Ram 2500 qcsb and is way overweight with the diesel. You don't mention if your truck is a gas or diesel engine. The gasser will struggle unless it's got stock tires and/or 4.10's. A nice,lighter weight trailer might be the better way to go.

svinyard

The boat is 16ft long Clackacraft, not fitting inside. I need 4x4 for sure and I can't get a typical trailer into a lot of places and certainly cant tow the boat with it so that or a motorhome arent going to cut it. Towing a camper trailer up/down winter roads in the Cascades mountains sucks too and wont fit into all overnight resort parking areas.

Regardless seems like there isnt much else if you need to sleep 4 and have 4x4 with a light boat.

zb39

Adventurer
Not in a small camper. My Host mammoth slept 4 easily, but it wasn't small. It was a great set up on my Ram 5500. But my wife wanted to go back to a coach. Now we have the coach and I have a new 5500 and I'm looking at campers just for the times I'm alone or we want to head out for a few days in the winter.IMG_0471.jpgIMG_2565.jpgIMG_0471.jpgIMG_2565.jpg

svinyard

Not in a small camper. My Host mammoth slept 4 easily, but it wasn't small. It was a great set up on my Ram 5500. But my wife wanted to go back to a coach. Now we have the coach and I have a new 5500 and I'm looking at campers just for the times I'm alone or we want to head out for a few days in the winter.
That's a hell of a flatbed build. I like that alot, tho yeah...not small :). The Scout Kenai drops tomorrow and should be interesting. I got inside of their little Olympic one and it was incredible. It easily slept 4 (the roof top tent is so nice, made down in Georgia too) but if you were hanging out inside of it with 4 people...not really that great for any extended time. Which is fine, because we aren't camping just to hangout inside of a camper...but there will be times when we want too (like at Ski resort). Apparently the 8ft Scout Kenai fits 4 a fair amount better with some extra amenities (cassette toilet, storage etc) and can "kind of" work for some 1/2 trucks, though I wouldn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94