What are Salisbury axles?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
revor said:
Pegging or adding a Slipper Pad involves machining the Differential housing to accept an adjuster screw that is perpendicular to the crown wheel/ring gear at the point at which the pinion gear drives the ring gear. At the end of this (or these) adjuster screw is normally a Bronze pad that rides on the ring gear. The idea is that because when a large load is placed on the driveline the pinion actually deflects the ring gear causing failure. If the Slipper pad is in place it will help absorb some of this load. It is very a popular modification amongst Drag Racing types. Most Ford 9" and even mark Williams 11" Diff's will have a Slipper pad. Of course thos are extreem Hypoid diffs.
In many cases with a Rover diff with lower gears I have seen the pinion tooth actually break off of the pinion so in that case the pegging wouldn't do you much good. One problem with the rover diff that cannot be overcome by pegging. Due to the nature of it's being a spiral beval type gear the Pinion gear is quite tiny compared to Hypoid.
Grazia!
I'm well familiar with that mod in Ford 9's from my drag racing days. Had never heard it called anything in particular.

On the Salisbury/D60 angle, it seems to me that the unique Rover parts would be few. Which means that though more spendy, you don't need to find an original Rover housing to put one under a Rover. Could even do the same for the front axle.

FWIW the special tool needed to (CAREFULLY!) spread the housing isn't terribly hard to build. I have the one my grandad made some time ago. Could take pics of it if there's interest.

michaelgroves

Explorer
shawkins said:
Is a D90 front axle housing shared with any other LR's?

Thanks
Stephen

Yes, the D90, D110, D130, Disco I, Disco II, RRC, and (I think) P38 RR all share the same basic front axle, though content-wise there have been some changes to axle shafts, and imperial/metric fittings over the years.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Mercedesrover said:
I don't think anyone is really doing DII stuff yet anyway.

A large amount of the DII stuff is interchangeable with D90, D110, and Disco I drive-line components. So I wouldn't imagine there'd be any problems getting uprated parts if one chose to.

michaelgroves

Explorer
ntsqd said:
On the Salisbury/D60 angle, it seems to me that the unique Rover parts would be few. Which means that though more spendy, you don't need to find an original Rover housing to put one under a Rover. Could even do the same for the front axle.

It's my understanding that Salisbury used the Dana 60 diff as the basis for their axle, but I don't think it's just a complete, straight Dana 60 diff. I.e. I think it's not as simple as buying a Dana and putting it in. Even more so for the front axle.

I might be wrong about this. And I might have misunderstood altogether what you were suggesting?

Mercedesrover

Explorer
michaelgroves said:
A large amount of the DII stuff is interchangeable with D90, D110, and Disco I drive-line components. So I wouldn't imagine there'd be any problems getting uprated parts if one chose to.

The front and rear axles are completely different than the DI/Rangie stuff. The DII has non-floaters in the rear with a one-piece hub and bearing similar to a front-wheel drive car. The front axles have an exposed, rubber booted CV joint.

shawkins

Adventurer
michaelgroves said:
Yes, the D90, D110, D130, Disco I, Disco II, RRC, and (I think) P38 RR all share the same basic front axle, though content-wise there have been some changes to axle shafts, and imperial/metric fittings over the years.
Cool. I'm having a hard time finding a Defender axle locally, but if I can use a Disco housing I'm good to go.

All of the Defender stuff yould bolt into/onto a Disco housing right?

Sorry for all of the basic questions, but this Land Rover stuff is a whole new ball game for me.

Thanks
Stephen

michaelgroves

Explorer
Mercedesrover said:
The front and rear axles are completely different than the DI/Rangie stuff. The DII has non-floaters in the rear with a one-piece hub and bearing similar to a front-wheel drive car. The front axles have an exposed, rubber booted CV joint.

Oops, absolutely right. I was thinking of the diff innards themselves.

michaelgroves

Explorer
shawkins said:
Cool. I'm having a hard time finding a Defender axle locally, but if I can use a Disco housing I'm good to go.

All of the Defender stuff yould bolt into/onto a Disco housing right?

Sorry for all of the basic questions, but this Land Rover stuff is a whole new ball game for me.

Thanks
Stephen

As per my error above, just remember that a Disco II (and P38 RR) complete axle is very different - so use a Disco I axle.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
michaelgroves said:
It's my understanding that Salisbury used the Dana 60 diff as the basis for their axle, but I don't think it's just a complete, straight Dana 60 diff. I.e. I think it's not as simple as buying a Dana and putting it in. Even more so for the front axle.

I might be wrong about this. And I might have misunderstood altogether what you were suggesting?
With only a couple exceptions the US spec D60's are 8 lug axles, and 99% of the rears are floating. So my thinking is that Rover used the D60 center casting/gears/etc. and added their own housing ends and probably the pinion yoke or flange. Those added parts would be the only unique bits and it may be very easy to find suitable replacements already existing in the custom axles world. The rock crawling explosion has really opened up a lot of options for the Dana 60 axle.

If a floating rear axle isn't desired or required then things get easy. Can have the housing built with 9" Ford bearing ends and the axles made with what ever the Rover wheel bolt pattern is (I've no clue what that might be). Brakes could be sticky depending on the backing plate or bracket's shape & bolt pattern, but those are solvable problems. Could be that the axles would need to be made with the Rover axle flange to housing end dimension for the stock brakes to fit. Otherwise I would seriously consider using the Ford "Torino" dimensions and go with the Explorer rear disc brake system (drum p-brake design).
There are several custom axle housing mfgs in the US, DynaTrac is one of them. Custom flanged axle mfgs are also fairly easy to find. Moser, Dutchman, Currie, and Mark Williams come to mind.
Depending on what the Rover wheel bolt pattern is, a floating axle may not be too difficult either. The housing could actually be easier than a flanged version, though the wheel hubs may not be so easy.

FWIW Jaguar also used a "Salisbury" differential in a variety of their cars. Those are the model known in the US as the Dana 44. The Jaguar IRS so popular with the hot rod crowd uses the D44 diff lump.

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
Just to clear it up on the Salisbury VS Dana 60 bit.

Aside from the different housings (thicker and bigger on the Salisbury) And that all Salisbury's have drain plug few Dana sixty's do. There are only two major differences.

1. The pinion nose bearing is different.

2. Pinion flange splines are different between the two.

The remaining bearings and even the pinion seal are the same.

Salisbury is 1.24" 24 spline. Dana is 1.287" 30 Spline, 1.5" 35 spline or 40 spline (huge)

A No Spin (drop into the carrier Detroit) from a Dana 70 will fit the Carrier on a Salisbury giving 35 spline diff at a good price.

The Carrier split on a Salisbury is the same as a Dana 60 4.0 and up, 4.56 and down.

Dana and Toyota ratios mimic each other.

Last edited:

Adventurer
Hey Yorker,

Yorker said:
So now if I need anything I'll buy from you or Keith or I'll get it Via Equipe 4X4's contacts in Italy or something...

There is a a gentleman named Justin, who runs Lucky8, LLC. He became an Equipe dealer last year. He get's his stuff straight from them and doesnt have to go through Draken.

http://lucky8llc.com/

Yorker

Adventurer
01001010 said:
There is a a gentleman named Justin, who runs Lucky8, LLC. He became an Equipe dealer last year. He get's his stuff straight from them and doesnt have to go through Draken.

http://lucky8llc.com/
Actually Draken was a test business to see if a retail marked for Equipe's stuff was viable in the USA. Once they determined it was they started looking for retailers. Justin is one of them but he still gets his stuff through Robby and Jen at "Draken" since they are the US distributers. I don't think Rob sells retail to anyone anymore except local club members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior