What Apps Should I Get For New Android

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I know this has been asked numerous times before but I don't know if I've seen all the threads or if they are still current. I picked up a Asus Memo Pad 7 LTE today for $40 and am downloading apps on it for use in my Jeep. So far I have GPS Tool, PDF Maps, BackCountry Navigator, Anrdozic, a free OBD2 reader, and a couple Clinometers. I'm planning on downloading some manuals and other books onto it.

What are some must have apps? Anything I can't live without?

Thanks,

Chad

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Although it isn't designed for your vehicle, I think the RoadID app is the best app I've downloaded in a few years. Its basically a Spot messenger, designed for mountain bikers to let your family know you're safe. If you crash and are unconscious in the woods, it will automatically let your chosen contact(s) know.

tarditi

Explorer
BackCountry Navigator Pro & a bunch of topo maps
iOverlander
GoogleMaps (DL local maps in the event of cell signal outage)
Where's My Droid (friends can ping your phone with special (created by you) code and get location, bearing, map, etc. to your device)

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Good suggestions! Keep them coming.

I bought my tablet used so even though it's an LTE, it's not a phone. It was just a cheap tablet for using in the car. I like the Road ID though and might download it onto my iPhone.

Thanks,
Chad

mccustomize

Explorer
I also, am using a droid tablet, I used it for the first time last weekend, I found maps.me extremely easy to download maps for offline use and for tracking. I was easily able to bring my .kmz file over into it as well. Then I used back country navigator to record my GPS track but I still find back country navigator hard to use.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
The apps I need on a trip

Google maps
My Maps
Backcountry Navigation
NOAA Weather
Torque
Foxit PDF
Heavens-Above
Stellarium
aCar
Gas Buddy (forgot about that but very useful!)
Yelp
Poweramp

The last 4 are more for the roadtrip aspect of getting to the trailhead.

thethePete

Explorer
Google Maps now allows storage of offline maps, and works for navigation if your GPS works offline as well. I used mine all weekend on my S5 Active, because I was a dummy and left my paper map at home. Luckily I had the whole area I was travelling backed up on my phone offline.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
The apps I need on a trip

Google maps
My Maps
Backcountry Navigation
NOAA Weather
Torque
Foxit PDF
Heavens-Above
Stellarium
aCar
Gas Buddy (forgot about that but very useful!)
Yelp
Poweramp

The last 4 are more for the roadtrip aspect of getting to the trailhead.

WOW! Can you provide a quick 3 word reason why you love all these apps so much? The PDF, weather, etc. all make sense...but why 3 mapping apps?

Shane

Kerensky97

Xterra101
WOW! Can you provide a quick 3 word reason why you love all these apps so much? The PDF, weather, etc. all make sense...but why 3 mapping apps?

Google maps, for paved road navigation (their traffic data is invaluable). My Maps for marking newly discovered Points of interest to my master maps of regional POI. But most everything goes through Backcountry Navagator when I'm on the trail. That's the main expedition oriented navigation app I use.

NOAA Weather for their weather graph.
Torque+bluetooth OBDII module for realtime vehicle engine monitoring and graphs.
Foxit PDF for saved USGS maps if all else fails.
Heavens Above to identify satellites at night (needs data but can cache a day's info)
Stellarium to identify stars
aCar for tracking MPG
Gas Buddy to find the best price for gas in unfamiliar cities
Yelp to find the best burger diners in unfamiliar cities
Poweramp to play roadtrip playlists.

And that doesn't even get into all the apps I use for photography but those aren't expedition oriented.

PTB

Observer
I'm partial to PDF Maps by Avenza for off-road use. Download the USGS georeferenced PDFs to your device prior to trip. Storage space on the device can be an issue.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Untappd is a very important app for adventure travelers.

The most important app I can think of is Untappd.
Not only can you start tracking all the awesome microbrews out there, but it will show you where the closest micro breweries, tap rooms, etc. are located while on your trip. :wings:
It will make suggestions for different beers, and you can read reviews from other people.
No longer is there a reason to drink bad beer.
A big shout out to youngllexx who turned me on to this app, available for Android and i-phone. :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles