What am I looking for? Family of four entry level overlanding camper/trailer

old_CWO

Find a clean used pop-up camper. Most of them have room for a porta potty and many have forced air heat. A basic electrical system is already on board that can be easily improved as necessary. Nicer models are equipped with 6 gallon LP water heaters and outside or sometimes inside showers. Anything built since the 90's will likely have a gas absorption refrigerator - not as good as a modern 12V compressor fridge but certainly more convenient than an ice box. Generally there's sleeping space for four without breaking down the dining table; six if you do. All that comes in a ready to go package that can cost the same or less than a family sized RTT by itself. As long as the canvas and lift mechanisms are good, the rest of the camper is simple to repair or upgrade.

For rugged use, give the suspension some attention, reinforce the chassis a bit and add a little bracing to the interior cabinets. You will be well under budget and ready to camp quickly.

When my kids were growing up we had a couple of mildly beefed up pop-up campers and they really fit the bill.

86scotty

Cynic
Every family is different but for us we tried everything and the thing that worked out best for our 2 boy/2 girl family was a Sportsmobile van and then moved up to a B+ motorhome. If I had it to do over again I might buy what my friend pulls behind his JLU, it's a GeoPro travel trailer. It is a mass produced travel trailer and will likely rattle apart on washboard eventually but he loves it and it gets him further than most. He has 2 young children and it sleeps 4 comfortably with a full kitchen and bathroom, bunk beds and a nice enough queen up front still rolling on a single axle, lifted on A/T's. I think it's around 20' long.

Anyway, I realize this is probably a more elaborate idea than you were thinking but it's what I would recommend. and it might fit your budget better than these insanely expensive and tiny 'off-road' trailers. My wife and I wheel pretty hard to get further from crowds and love sleeping in an RTT above our Tundra but when we had young kids the creature comforts were needed.

Oh, way under 20 for a GeoPro I think.

boulderloon

I highly recommend Escapade Campers. I just picked up a Backcountry a few months ago. The wait was 3 months but I hear the lead time has gone up (probably due to the new no-wood model). I added a few factory upgrades (front cabinets, tool box, electric brakes) plus my own DIY ones (LiFePO batteries, new inverter charger, Propex heater, Camplux water heater), and my total outlay is still under 20K.

If you like to DIY your own upgrades to save money, you can't go wrong with Escapade. The cost of a Backcountry is CHEAP by today's off-road teardrop prices, and the thing is built like a tank, right up there with Boreas and Off Grid.

Looking forward to wearing it out this summer.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
4 used Taxa Mantis posted last 4 days. One over priced and two approaching interesting. 2021 at $38k and a 2019 at $31k. When a 2020 or 2021 starts getting into the 31ish zone I’ll likely get serious and looking at them.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
2019 mantis in socal 30k. Thats number 4 in 4 days. I think the RV market will be fat with options by September and prices coming down ?.

If a 2020 pops up in the 30ishk zone I may be doing a road trip to go get it. Pre covid these were in stock everywhere and savy buyers were picking them up in the $32-35k range. By July 2020 they were sold out and dealers were posting adds for 45-50k ?

sb.reno

Lots of good ideas in this thread. I reached out to lots of places the last couple of days. As I feared, many companies are months out in production. I may keep looking at something used for the time being. If I go the new route, I think it will be better to wait till this season is over.

billiebob

Hello all! Over the last couple of weeks, I have been researching myself into a rabbit hole of information. Last year I got myself a decent off-road vehicle for the first time in my life (Colorado Z71). After doing a lot of exploring, our next step was to find some kind of camper to get out and stay in those places we were exploring. I have been a car camper my whole life, but boondocking with a ground tent seems awful. I got a Leer cap for my truck as it is a daily driver, so I am not sure about a Roof Top Tent on there. I also don't want to leave a tent on my roof either. I started looking around at RVs, but RVs seem super low quality to me. Most RVs are also way too big to store in my driveway and look awful for even driving on fire-roads.

I was looking at some off-road trailers with a large RTT or an off-road teardrop with a small RTT for the kids. What do you all recommend? If it helps, I am in the Reno-Tahoe area. There doesn't seem to be much locally, and many companies are also 12+ months out on a build. My wife would also like something that has a basic kitchen setup or at least a place to store all our kitchen supplies. I would also like to keep the full setup under 20ish grand. Is this even possible to do right now?
yeah, easy, best buy a used tent trailer, Coleman stove, Cooler...... some sleeping bags and GO. The pickup fits everyone. A tent trailer sleeps everyone. Done deal. Used tent trailers are a dime a dozen. Just git 'er done and go.

ps, you can flip the axle, add 15" tires for under $500 and make any tent trailer as capable as a $20K Expo trailer.

ps, nothing else will give you the space, comfort, convenience of a tent trailer, some even have pull out, inside/outside kitchens.
and they are priced to sell, not make the builder wealthy.

Tent-Trailer-Interior-Ideas-50.jpg

Last edited:

dra2120

@sb.reno I'm in the same spot as you (although with a lower budget) Also what ages are your kids? There is a big difference between a 5 year old and a 15 year old when it comes to accommodations. Here is what I've been looking at:
https://rvlifemag.com/compact-comfort-livin-lite-quicksilver-8-0/ (These aren't made anymore, but are what I'm looking for as they seem to be the best mix of ruggedness, simplicity, and value.)
https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2014-baja/ (Also not made anymore.)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Forest River stuff I only suggest if your super handy and ok doing your own fixes. Couple of friends bought ForestRiver popups at the beginning of COViD and they aren’t handy type of people. The trailers have spent more time at the dealer getting faulty stuff fixed vs in use or storage.

If your handy and ok fixing stuff then they are ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles