What am I looking for? Family of four entry level overlanding camper/trailer

sb.reno

Hello all! Over the last couple of weeks, I have been researching myself into a rabbit hole of information. Last year I got myself a decent off-road vehicle for the first time in my life (Colorado Z71). After doing a lot of exploring, our next step was to find some kind of camper to get out and stay in those places we were exploring. I have been a car camper my whole life, but boondocking with a ground tent seems awful. I got a Leer cap for my truck as it is a daily driver, so I am not sure about a Roof Top Tent on there. I also don't want to leave a tent on my roof either. I started looking around at RVs, but RVs seem super low quality to me. Most RVs are also way too big to store in my driveway and look awful for even driving on fire-roads.

I was looking at some off-road trailers with a large RTT or an off-road teardrop with a small RTT for the kids. What do you all recommend? If it helps, I am in the Reno-Tahoe area. There doesn't seem to be much locally, and many companies are also 12+ months out on a build. My wife would also like something that has a basic kitchen setup or at least a place to store all our kitchen supplies. I would also like to keep the full setup under 20ish grand. Is this even possible to do right now?

4000lbsOfGoat

That sounds about right. Just giving you some idea of the styles\layouts that are available out there.

Depending on what you mean by "the full setup", under 20k could be really challenging...

mattjm23

I have been heavily researching these type of trailers. From a budget perspective, Escapade Backcountry might be a good fit. They also have a zero wood option (MT-10)that looks interesting but might be a bit out of your budget with additional options.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sb.reno

I have been heavily researching these type of trailers. From a budget perspective, Escapade Backcountry might be a good fit. They also have a zero wood option (MT-10)that looks interesting but might be a bit out of your budget with additional options.

Good Luck!

I actually talked with these folks yesterday. They quoted me 4500 to ship it.

1000arms

... off-road teardrop with a small RTT for the kids. ...
Forum member @Teardropper has written a book "Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper".

mattjm23

I actually talked with these folks yesterday. They quoted me 4500 to ship it.

Maybe plan a summer vacation in Minnesota? :)

Came across this one in my research....

I expanded my budget so I didn’t keep many of the links I had when I was trying to stay in 20K range.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Your looking during COVID RV insanity!!! Nothing RV ish is currently priced at logical prices. You would likely save money renting stuff till next winter. I’m already seeing Pandemic buyers starting to sell stuff but at stupid prices like more than the same stuff new pre pandemic.

I have put my plan on hold and will rent if I want something in the next 12 months?.

Ideas? Intech flyer series, hardly used garaged pandemic Taxa Mantis in a yr or two. Etc

Lots of Intech trailers being sold on FB but prices are still a tad high.

sb.reno

Your looking during COVID RV insanity!!! Nothing RV ish is currently priced at logical prices. You would likely save money renting stuff till next winter. I’m already seeing Pandemic buyers starting to sell stuff but at stupid prices like more than the same stuff new pre pandemic.

I have put my plan on hold and will rent if I want something in the next 12 months?.

Ideas? Intech flyer series, hardly used garaged pandemic Taxa Mantis in a yr or two. Etc

Lots of Intech trailers being sold on FB but prices are still a tad high.

I am starting to feel this way too. I went and looked at a Flyer yesterday (I think the Explore model). It seemed overpriced for carpet over everything quality RV. I may just wait, but my wife just says, "The kids will be too old If we wait too long." :)

What I really want is just an off-road trailer with a big tent on top. I am the one that has to set up the tent stuff. My wife sets up the kitchen, so of course, she wants a kitchen setup.

sb.reno

Maybe plan a summer vacation in Minnesota? :)

Came across this one in my research....

I expanded my budget so I didn’t keep many of the links I had when I was trying to stay in 20K range.

Thanks! I sent them an email. They basically said they aren't taking orders on those Apaches on their website. They do have the Anza's available.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am starting to feel this way too. I went and looked at a Flyer yesterday (I think the Explore model). It seemed overpriced for carpet over everything quality RV. I may just wait, but my wife just says, "The kids will be too old If we wait too long." :)

What I really want is just an off-road trailer with a big tent on top. I am the one that has to set up the tent stuff. My wife sets up the kitchen, so of course, she wants a kitchen setup.

My kids are 9 and 12. My dad is looking for a B+ for lots of trip ideas next couple of yrs. My 9 yr old Life Time Trailer has been great but it doesn’t work for windy desert or cold shoulder months or Bear restricted areas etc. I’m likely going to find a 2020 Taxa Mantis used in a yr or so 30kish. Thats my plan. The other issue right now is out west camping has gone full stupid! Its far easier to rent a house on airbnb vs reserve a camp site. Campgrounds are packed!!!! Even now in the off season.. Which case no thanks...

The Mantis fits in my garage, would open up our longer trip ideas ie being a better weather pod Glacier NP, Banff, desert winds etc. It still tows well vs big boxy lousy trailer etc.
Mantis also is creative enough that I can stow, boats or bikes etc. The Intech issue I have is bed size and really not bear country option beyond two people. If they made a pop top version that would be really interesting.

Attachments

• D8E4293F-241E-4747-ADFE-970B1606E9E7.jpeg
    D8E4293F-241E-4747-ADFE-970B1606E9E7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57

sb.reno

My kids are 9 and 12. My dad is looking for a B+ for lots of trip ideas next couple of yrs. My 9 yr old Life Time Trailer has been great but it doesn’t work for windy desert or cold shoulder months or Bear restricted areas etc. I’m likely going to find a 2020 Taxa Mantis used in a yr or so 30kish. Thats my plan. The other issue right now is out west camping has gone full stupid! Its far easier to rent a house on airbnb vs reserve a camp site. Campgrounds are packed!!!! Even now in the off season.. Which case no thanks...

The Mantis fits in my garage, would open up our longer trip ideas ie being a better weather pod Glacier NP, Banff, desert winds etc. It still tows well vs big boxy lousy trailer etc.
Mantis also is creative enough that I can stow, boats or bikes etc. The Intech issue I have is bed size and really not bear country option beyond two people. If they made a pop top version that would be really interesting.

I agree with everything you said. I did reserve two camp spots for this summer. Luckily I can do weekdays. This is another reason I want something to get off-road. We are terrible planners, so it would be nice to just get out off the grid some evenings.

Taxxa seems like a great product, but I can't see one locally. I would have to get the smaller one to fit in my driveway. Those almost seem reasonable (20k for the base model), but I would still need another roof tent.

I did get in touch with a guy over at 3feathersmfg.com. Does anyone have any experience with a 3 Feathers trailer?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree with everything you said. I did reserve two camp spots for this summer. Luckily I can do weekdays. This is another reason I want something to get off-road. We are terrible planners, so it would be nice to just get out off the grid some evenings.

Taxxa seems like a great product, but I can't see one locally. I would have to get the smaller one to fit in my driveway. Those almost seem reasonable (20k for the base model), but I would still need another roof tent.

I did get in touch with a guy over at 3feathersmfg.com. Does anyone have any experience with a 3 Feathers trailer?

Even with planning its not possible to go 6 months out with kids, school stuff etc. I have already had to cancel a trip for June due to a school thing that was just announced Thursday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior