What about those fusible links on the Gen1?

GrantC

Observer
It’s finally time to upgrade the battery on my ’87 4-cyl, and get rid of the corroded stock clamps (going to the military style.) I’ve already done the negative side, but the positive side leaves me with a bit of a question.

I’d like to get rid of the fusible links at the battery, for two reasons: first, I simply don’t trust them when I’m out in the middle of nowhere. Second, because they almost require the stock battery clamp (the housing they’re in snaps onto the positive clamp.)

Has anyone done this? Did you use a slow-blow inline fuse, or something else?

plh

Explorer
I replaced mine in the '88 with a buzz holder and new fusible link wire. NAPA sells (or sold - it was several years ago) the link wire in various sizes. Just make sure you use the same diameter and length. Its specified in the FSM if I recall correctly.

GrantC

Observer
After MUCH research (including studying time-to-fail charts until my eyes were watering), I've decided to replace the links with properly sized fuses. The charge wire from the alternator, for instance, is being replaced with an ANL slow-blow fuse in a Blue Sea fuse block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles