What´s the problem with the Jeep

Born2bwild1

Hello everybody: Most of the people who practice Overlanding arround the world use vehicles like: Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, G Waguen and I try to figure out what it´s the problem with the Jeep? I guess that fuel economy its one but can you please tell me what is the big deal of the Jeep´s?

Thanks in advance.

Amauri

Explorer
Reliability.

FacePalm.gif

Vehicles like the ones you mentioned are more readily available around the world compared to Jeeps. Lack of space is also a large factor.

Judoka

Learning To Live
I have owned a couple of Jeeps, and I honestly would put them up against anything for offroad capability, and dependability! Jeeps are freaks if set up right. The availability for mods on Wrangler is second to none. It is simply the most modified vehicle for offroad and it has many aftermarked products that just bolt right on!
That said, I now have a Suburban. Not even close for offroad capability, but it handles so much better in snow, and I can sleep in it when I am loaded up for 2 weeks in Baja. To beat that, I can tow 6000lbs, and IT GETS THE SAME FUEL MILAGE AS MY JEEP DID! Space was the deciding factor though. Even with all the racks you can mount it will not carry enough gear for a long term run. Oh, you can make due, but just one person.

bat

Explorer
I have had 3 jeeps and all were turn key vehicles no problems. My last jeep was slightly modified and it would go anywhere.I think if you are a large person it could be on the small side for driving and for storage with the seat down plenty of room. I think the jeep inline 6 is a great motor perfect for off roading with the torque it has and super reliable. It is not a plush vehicle like a rover at all it does have the tin can feel.

wardrow

Adventurer
In all seriousness the three main draw backs of most jeeps is payload, fuel economy and space. Granted there are improvements too these that have been made with the new JK, I would never run a JEEP outside of the USA.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.

And payload, I think I remember reading somewhere that Rovers can hold a ton of weight in the cargo area, lots more than a Cherokee let alone a Wrangler. So if you are planning on going way far out into the middle of nowhere there won't be gas stations so you will need to bring fuel along with you. Every 5 gallons of gas is something like 67 pounds, so at 15 mpg and a 1500 mile drive you are looking at no less than 20 jerry cans for a total of 1340 pounds of fuel in addition to tools and spare parts and camping gear.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Scott Brady said:
What vehicle should I buy? Of course, there are no clear answers, and ultimately, you should drive what you like.....drive what works for you.....Just drive what you love…

Thats quite a profound statement for the brand loyal guys who think their vehicle make is superior to others.

Last edited:

bat

Explorer
I think as far a gas mileage the rover or land cruiser is not much better in fact maybe worse.The payload is not good on the jeep but reliability inline 6 is a great motor. I can't see having 20 5 gallon jerry cans on my rig but I have never driven 1500 miles without being able to fill up..

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
You see a lot of off-brands for overlanding because they are used in countries that don't like Americans or their American Jeeps. You see Toyotas because they make the best small p/u truck.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I think as far a gas mileage the rover or land cruiser is not much better in fact maybe worse.The payload is not good on the jeep but reliability inline 6 is a great motor. I can't see having 20 5 gallon jerry cans on my rig but I have never driven 1500 miles without being able to fill up..

This is true. LR's get around 13 mpg stock and the AWD version discovery averages 11 typically stock.

The reason Jeeps are not used as much are mainly the reasons stated. Cherokees and Grands have the interior space of a good overlander but wranglers are far less. A Land Rover/Cruiser and Toyota Pickups are some of the highest used overlanders due to space, you can still carry gear as well as more than 1 occupant- wranglers, you are out now, sorry. (Newer wranglers though, longer wheelbase can be made into excellent 2 seaters but some people have a hard time converting a rig into a dedicated 2 seater- as they still have smaller trunk storage than Grands and XJs)

Older Jeeps with the huge wheelbases such as the wagoneer, are leaf sprung which can lead to harsher rides, as well as impossible to find parts even in the US, in other countries, count your loses and tie your shoes because you are walking home.

Now for the dependability factor, Jeeps are by far, the most dependable vehicles next to Toyota's. A land rover has too many electrical issues but are typically 100,000 mile vehicles, after that with Overlanding abuse, they like to break down. But as Jeeps are available everywhere in the US, LR parts are available throughout the world- so do not discount LR's. If I had a big enough wallet I would own a land rover, but I do not have my mommy and daddy buy me things so I work hard for my Jeep.

Now on to Toyotas: they are awesome, if I were in another country, I would probably own one. But loving America like a true American, I will probably never ship my vehicle to another continent (unlike those rich LR owners, again, mommy and daddy deal) so having a Jeep in the North American "zone" is by far the best thing. Reliability, gas mileage, and (with a Mid Sized SUV like a cherokee, comanche, grand, etc) you can go everywhere and do anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles