Wet weather jacket advice please

Smileyshaun

Observer
Nice gift from work, well if the quality is there, then it's worth it. How are you getting on with it?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

love it , use it all winter for snowshoeing and winter travel, in the spring and fall for rainy hikes . it's been a couple years and all the zippers still work like new .

perterra

Adventurer
Been seeing a lot of people wearing the oil skins lately. What do you think? Do you get a lot of moisture build up when it's raining?

Be aware that some are oil cloth, some are waxed. Never had an Australian, but have worn Barbour and Filson for a number of years. Have a no name (that I remember) oiled one, great water repellent, left stains on my cloth seats and any papers that touch it. Comfortable other than the sleeves need to be longer and the hood is too small. Filsons are tough but crude compared to Barbour. Both Filson and Barbour weigh a ton, and if you are in a heavy rain/drizzle for a long period, they all eventually seem to leave you damp. Religious following of a re-treatment regimen will minimize it but if it's an active sport you are involved in, expect stress points to get damp. (top of your shoulders and elbows) Never had a Filson that didnt shrink with age when cycled through repeated rainstorms. Havent noticed shrinking in Barbour.

I get moisture build up in anything that is waterproof if I am active, waxed or oiled is no different. Goretex and Event are pretty similar, Sympatex is more waterproof but I really sweat in them.

jeepgc

Adventurer
love it , use it all winter for snowshoeing and winter travel, in the spring and fall for rainy hikes . it's been a couple years and all the zippers still work like new .
Thank you Smileyshaun, will take a look when I'm looking to spend some good money on a jacket.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Be aware that some are oil cloth, some are waxed. Never had an Australian, but have worn Barbour and Filson for a number of years. Have a no name (that I remember) oiled one, great water repellent, left stains on my cloth seats and any papers that touch it. Comfortable other than the sleeves need to be longer and the hood is too small. Filsons are tough but crude compared to Barbour. Both Filson and Barbour weigh a ton, and if you are in a heavy rain/drizzle for a long period, they all eventually seem to leave you damp. Religious following of a re-treatment regimen will minimize it but if it's an active sport you are involved in, expect stress points to get damp. (top of your shoulders and elbows) Never had a Filson that didnt shrink with age when cycled through repeated rainstorms. Havent noticed shrinking in Barbour.

I get moisture build up in anything that is waterproof if I am active, waxed or oiled is no different. Goretex and Event are pretty similar, Sympatex is more waterproof but I really sweat in them.
Thanks perterra, never thought of including Barbour in that list. I used to have a Barbour years ago. I suppose it may make sense, but agreed very heavy. Good hard wearing jacket though and I did re wax it myself.

Am looking for something lighter than that.

Have just got myself a Berghaus Arran to see me through before spending serious money. It's better than I thought, seems to be very well made, useful pockets, warm and dry too.

See how it bears up to good winter weather, a decent downpour and my dogs dragging me through the brush backwards.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Been out in my first serious downpour in the Berghaus Arran and this jacket keeps impressing me.

Kept me warm and dry, while walking my hounds without feeling clammy.

I paid £130 ($165) for this as a stopgap to getting a more expensive jacket and I'm now thinking I don't need to get the more expensive option, as I'm not convinced that the expensive jacket is going to improve on this.

jeepgc

Adventurer
So, just over a year later, I managed to tear my sleeve on my Berghaus Arran today.

I didn't get dragged through anything by my hounds, but got caught on a thorny tree/bush, not even anything major.

So a repair is needed, but may be on the lookout for my next jacket if I can't repair it properly.

Have been pretty happy with the jacket, hood design seems a little odd, but easily rectified by wearing a cap under.

Has kept me warm and dry.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

VanWaLife

Well I'd vote for Arcteryx despite the price. My discontinued GoreTex Parsec has kept me dry for five years or so in the PNW, still going strong. The Keppel trench is the closest thing they carry now. The Parsec has a really nice hood. I spent more on jackets in the years leading up to buying the Parsec than I did on the Parsec itself. GoreTex and something that covers the backside is key for me.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Well I'd vote for Arcteryx despite the price. My discontinued GoreTex Parsec has kept me dry for five years or so in the PNW, still going strong. The Keppel trench is the closest thing they carry now. The Parsec has a really nice hood. I spent more on jackets in the years leading up to buying the Parsec than I did on the Parsec itself. GoreTex and something that covers the backside is key for me.
Thank you, will check that out.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of Arc'teryx jackets for various seasons/use; yes a bit pricey but look at the sales and clearance as they rotate quickly out of REI and various other sites and you can steal a normally very pricey jacket for comparable prices as the rest of the market and get more quality. I'm all about last year's model.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Well, my Berghaus's external breast pocket zip broke today.... nothing to do with dogs, foliage etc.

Just zipped it up and it came apart.

Am I being hamfisted? I don't think so.

greg.potter

Adventurer
I have a couple of Arc'teryx jackets for various seasons/use; yes a bit pricey but look at the sales and clearance as they rotate quickly out of REI and various other sites and you can steal a normally very pricey jacket for comparable prices as the rest of the market and get more quality. I'm all about last year's model.

I don't mind spending money on quality products that work well and last. A good jacket will typically last me about 5 years of relatively frequent use. I use my outdoor clothing for a variety of self propelled outdoor sports that often take me into the backcountry for multiple days so functionality and durability are king. I don't buy the latest lightest "wonder fabric" but tend toward more durable proven fabrics and functional designs. I currently have an Arc'teryx jacket and bib pants which work well, but have owned a number of different "well known" manufacturer's products over the years. When zippers fail or I rip a piece of clothing I get it fixed. Most larger cities or outdoor oriented town have outdoor clothing repair shops. Search for warranty repair centres, many of them service a number of manufacturers warranty repairs as well as individual's non-warranty repairs. Any on the topic of warranty in my experience Arc'teryx is outstanding in warranting their products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles