Wet weather jacket advice please

fiddypal

Adventurer
If you are looking for something "bomb-proof" and affordable, check out some military clothing options if you can live with camo/drab colors:

- ORC Improved Rain suit (jacket and pants)
- PCU or ECWCS Level 6 Garments (goretex rain jacket and pants)

ORC Improved rain suit is nice and heavy duty, may be too heavy if you need something that packs down nice but is 100% waterproof. I've ridden my motorcycle in a complete downpour (was unsafe, i should have pulled over it was raining that bad, road was like a river) and did not get wet at all (just face area that was exposed).

PCU/ECWCS (get gen3, gen2 is thicker and heavier) Level 6 are a little more light weight materials wise, but just as waterproof. Keep in mind these are designed for layering over under layers of the system so if you want to use them without significant layers underneath, i'd order a size down.

For example, i'm normally a size large regular, but i have a medium regular ECWCS level 6 i use for warmer conditions as its more form fitting. My large ORC suit is very baggy, and i tend to use that in cooler temps when i need a big jacket underneath or multiple layers.

PCU you can find in non-camo (grey and brown colors), ORC i think only comes in camo have not seen any solid color versions.

Ebay or army surplus store to find them.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Thank you Fiddy, I'll check those out.

Not bothered about 'drab' colours/camo as it's the clothing's performance in the wet that I'm more interested in.

As for my HH in heavy rain, it was good and kept me dry, not much of that clammy feeling due to moisture build up inside so pretty good overall.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
I can't justify the cost but the guys that get the Arc'teryx Leaf say its the best wet weather gear they have ever had.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Well, my stopgap Helly Hansen zip, just gave out - what's that? 7 months ownership and probably nearer 5 months real wear.

Am now looking for my proper jacket, maybe I need stay away from zips....

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have a arcteryx rain jacket and the only flaw I find in it is the price , it's 150% waterproof, zippers work great , has huge armpit zippers for venting , the hood has a brim and adjustable bungiee in it so it fits more like a hat and the cuffs are quickly adjustable .

jeepgc

Adventurer
I have a arcteryx rain jacket and the only flaw I find in it is the price , it's 150% waterproof, zippers work great , has huge armpit zippers for venting , the hood has a brim and adjustable bungiee in it so it fits more like a hat and the cuffs are quickly adjustable .
Cough cough..... Just checked out how much the arcteryx jackets are .

Thanks, will take a look anyway.

old .45

Observer
I Have been using an oilskin coat with a cape for many years...... hose it off and oil it once in a while..... from Australia, meaning made in Australia, not from any where else, meaning Asia. It is tougher than an hard boiled owl, warm waterproof and even used it to lay on so as not to get muddy when examining under the truck. It goes with me in the truck always... every season here in the NE.

Reactions: WVI

Smileyshaun

Observer
Cough cough..... Just checked out how much the arcteryx jackets are .

Thanks, will take a look anyway.

Yeah I got mine as a gift through work , before getting it I would have never thought about spending anywhere near that for a jacket but after owning it for a couple years now I could almost see spending that just for the quality and comfort of the jacket.

perterra

Adventurer
Well, my stopgap Helly Hansen zip, just gave out - what's that? 7 months ownership and probably nearer 5 months real wear.

Am now looking for my proper jacket, maybe I need stay away from zips....

You have worse luck than me, I've been wearing a Frogg Togg for about 3 years now. I think it is the Toad Rage, been a good jacket. The best for me has been a BMW Motoraad vented jacket. Probably 12 years and still great. But I have used North Face, Frogg Togg, Carhartt and never really had a problem other than some like the least expensive Froggs will burn thru on exhaust pipes.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Yeah I got mine as a gift through work , before getting it I would have never thought about spending anywhere near that for a jacket but after owning it for a couple years now I could almost see spending that just for the quality and comfort of the jacket.
Nice gift from work, well if the quality is there, then it's worth it. How are you getting on with it?

jeepgc

Adventurer
I Have been using an oilskin coat with a cape for many years...... hose it off and oil it once in a while..... from Australia, meaning made in Australia, not from any where else, meaning Asia. It is tougher than an hard boiled owl, warm waterproof and even used it to lay on so as not to get muddy when examining under the truck. It goes with me in the truck always... every season here in the NE.
Been seeing a lot of people wearing the oil skins lately. What do you think? Do you get a lot of moisture build up when it's raining?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles