Western NC

zolo

Explorer
We did a little exploring in western North Carolina this past weekend and discovered the FS had closed some areas, but kept some open as well. There was a lot of map examining and driving to see out if the roads were open (and not tank trapped or gated), which led to some great roads and wonderful challenges. This trip made me realize how great western NC really is. It gave me hope that the east still has some secret spots that make you feel far from the tarmac and double yellow lines.

0f68f537.jpg

ee043ec0.jpg

f91f3a46.jpg

3a92c633.jpg

This is pretty much the cleanest FJ40 I have ever seen. Cable lockers and much more.

33694665.jpg

(This 80 may or may not be super charged)

fb3bfb5b.jpg

33f4268f.jpg

World's best dog taking in the sunrise from the RTT

e453c2b1.jpg

The weekend started out with a big group, but ended up with 3 trucks, 3 dogs, and 4 happy campers. Most everyone bailed when the initial areas we set out to explore were a bust.

LACamper

Adventurer
Beautiful country. We hiked across and down Linville Gorge some years ago. There's nothing like going to sleep to the sound of a whitewater trout river...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
How can I join you guys?...I am in Greenville, SC and I love spending time in WNC...

Let me know in the future....

Last edited:

Maude

you forgot to mention the very best part was getting an 80 lb dog not just into but OUT of an RTT! :Wow1:

A truly epic weekend, can't wait to do it again.

Storz

Explorer
Wow, wish I had known you guys were up there. My wife and I were up last weekend, camped near the Linville Gorge. We are planning on heading up again the weekend of Dec 4-5th

mwalser

awsome! i was begining to wonder if there was anyone on here from NC. im from lexington NC and make frequent trips to western NC and uwharrie.

zolo

Explorer
I would really like to hear a write up of the roads you hit. You could send a PM.

At the rate the FS is closing roads and gating everything they can, Im hesitant to post up a full report right now. We are going back up very soon to get further in a section we found last weekend and after I know the road leads somewhere or connect's to another area then we can maybe get another group together and head up.
One road in particular will take an early start and a stronger effort to continue on. So after that I hope to have found another great area to share.

Im very disappointed that the FS did indeed close an area we found last year that had promise.

And after Cullowhee was completely shut down its been very hard to stay postive about the FS and the limilted public land we have availible in the east.

But I would like to get an Expo group together and head out as well. Id like to meet some of you guys for sure.

Cheers

jh504

Explorer
At the rate the FS is closing roads and gating everything they can, Im hesitant to post up a full report right now. We are going back up very soon to get further in a section we found last weekend and after I know the road leads somewhere or connect's to another area then we can maybe get another group together and head up.
One road in particular will take an early start and a stronger effort to continue on. So after that I hope to have found another great area to share.

Im very disappointed that the FS did indeed close an area we found last year that had promise.

And after Cullowhee was completely shut down its been very hard to stay postive about the FS and the limilted public land we have availible in the east.

But I would like to get an Expo group together and head out as well. Id like to meet some of you guys for sure.

Cheers

I totally understand. There are some spots I know of that I dont post publicly due to that fact. Next time I head out there I will shoot you a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles