West Coast Hog Hunting

Arclight

SAR guy
Does anyone go after feral pigs in CA or elsewhere on the West Coast? I'm thinking about going again this season, and am looking for some more places.

Arclight

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Does anyone go after feral pigs in CA or elsewhere on the West Coast? I'm thinking about going again this season, and am looking for some more places.

Arclight

A good friend did a hunt up in the north end of the Napa valley on a ranch some place. Guided hunt sorta deal. Lots of big animals up in the Napa Valley hills. He is into guns and has a custom made revolver that fires what look like cannon balls from Spain that he had with him as back up. They shot a Boar it took off and circled back stepped out on the trail facing him and he put it down with his fancy hand cannon said that if he hadn't thought about taking it it could have turned ugly quick. The Boar was only about 30ft from him and took on an aggressive stance and just as he fired he said it was clear it was going to charge him. The first shot from the rifle did some damage and he said would have been fatal but the damn thing didn't go down and had enough fight left to circle back on them after taking off through the brush.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I am hoping to get out for a hog hunt next year, some farmers will welcome you with open arms to come out and get rid of as many as legally possible, not sure if I will go south to TX/LA or west to CA but seems the hogs feed really well down south.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
And as mentioned, feral hogs can be very aggressive and are a pretty smart game animal when it comes to turning the tables on the ones hunting them.

J

JWP58

And as mentioned, feral hogs can be very aggressive and are a pretty smart game animal when it comes to turning the tables on the ones hunting them.

Those CA hogs must be different than the ones in Texas. Not too smart, and aren't looking to eat you. They cant see worth ********, however they can smell you a mile away. I would not be concerned with one "turning the tables" on you, unless its wounded and/or cornered (like in a trap).

Anything from a .22mag and up will put them in the dirt. The issue that some folks run into with hogs, and why some think they can absorb as much lead as a cape buffalo, is their vitals are lower and farther forward (when looking broadside) than deer. A shot back or high that would result in a great lung shot on a deer, might be marginal at best on a pig.

ssc45

Observer
Do you hunt on public or private land around King city ? Guided or solo ?
I hunt on private land. I started with guided hunts. The ranchers have deals with locals to guide hunts and everyone gets a split. As time has gone by, I have friends who live up there who have access to many ranches that we hunt.

Cheers, Steve

MT6bt

Rock hound

Arclight
Just wanted to say hello, buddy! Greetings from sunny, subzero montana.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

MT6bt

Rock hound
Oh ya! My big male, Elwood, likes to cuddle! Fortunately for me on the colder nights!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94