Went riding today...first real ride in a long time

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, well i used to race cross country hard-tails back in the days... and now im super out of shape... so my buddies and i made a little run up a local mtn today to push ourselves and test our limits. None of us have rode in years years years!!! (prolly 7 for me) so there were quite a few friends and family that said we wouldn't make it!! I figured there would be a ambulance up at the top waiting for me... but we made it and didn't have to call lol Thanks god that we made it in time too, cause my quads started cramping at the top.

Anyhoo... 2 hours straight up a mtn fire road.. riding and some hiking we made it. Called Skyline Drive in Corona CA. Pretty well known here in SoCal.. next time your around try it.

We started on the flats down below in the picture.
cimg1499tx8.jpg

Rode down only took 15-20 mins or so and i still kicked butt like i used too, but i was the only one on a full suspension rig (carbon fiber TREK FUEL).

Im going to go sit in the jaqcuzzi with a beer for about 6 hours now.. i feel paralized !!!!!!!!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Perfect day for the ride too. I'm guessing it was cooler than normal there too?

I've been hiking the trails in Cuyamaca State Park every morning after work. I just need to get my bike fixed so I can do some riding.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Oh really? Yosh and I went for a 'super easy' hike to the Green Valley water fall down there on our last trip. Wasn't really much of a hike... so it was perfect for us! :)

Yeah we headed out early. Im the summer when its really really hot you have to head out in the dark to start your ride. We were lucky to have good cloud cover.. but i still sweated my fatt butt off.

Was fun.

Can't believe how out of shape i am in!!!! This time 2 years ago i was ready for a triathlon!

bluedog

Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
Ok, well i used to race cross country hard-tails back in the days... and now im super out of shape... so my buddies and i made a little run up a local mtn today to push ourselves and test our limits. None of us have rode in years years years!!! (prolly 7 for me) so there were quite a few friends and family that said we wouldn't make it!! I figured there would be a ambulance up at the top waiting for me... but we made it and didn't have to call lol Thanks god that we made it in time too, cause my quads started cramping at the top.

Anyhoo... 2 hours straight up a mtn fire road.. riding and some hiking we made it. Called Skyline Drive in Corona CA. Pretty well known here in SoCal.. next time your around try it.

Rode down only took 15-20 mins or so and i still kicked butt like i used too, but i was the only one on a full suspension rig (carbon fiber TREK FUEL).

Im going to go sit in the jaqcuzzi with a beer for about 6 hours now.. i feel paralized !!!!!!!!

I bet it feels good to get back in the saddle. Stick with it and your fitness will come back fast.

B.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
bluedog said:
I bet it feels good to get back in the saddle. Stick with it and your fitness will come back fast.

B.
I'll second that!
I went riding yesterday and it was 100+. Enjoy your nice summer out there and ride **************** off!!
Have fun! :) :)

bluedog

Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
Today im still sore! (monday) thanks for the encouragement guys! It's nice to hear!

Go Spin around for 30 to 60 min. eeeeeeeeasy. Just get the blood moving in the legs and you will feel better and speed up the recovery process.

B.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Actually, that's great advice in general if he's just getting back into riding. If you really want to accellerate your return to that racer fitness, you will oddly enough benefit most from slow, easy rides in the next several weeks. Sometimes those rides can even feel silly slow. That builds foundation fitness. For the next month or two make sure most of your rides are at medium to low intensity for longer periods of time. Ride fire roads, mellow trails, just try not to hammer out 45 minutes but rather toodle along for 90 minutes instead. As mid summer arrives, add more high intensity rides and ease off the doddling rides.

This will have many advantages. Those easier/longer rides will promote better fat burning. If paired with a major decrease in the amount of sugars you consume, you will also encourage your body to learn to natrually produce the glycogens your muscles need to fuel themselves over the span of a long ride. We'll just say better body efficiency and better endurance. It will also give you more foundation to build on when it comes time to add big power.

If you get obsessed like I tend to get, you can drop the caffeine, beer, take CoQ10, and other suppliments to promote better heart health. Hit the antioxidants hard for recovery. Acai berries rule for anti-ox properties.

If you want any other tips gimme a shout. I'm a Cat 2 road racer, Expert mountain racer. I've raced for 22 years in the US and Europe in more than 450 events. Former resident athlete at the Olympic Training center. In that time I've been given piles of good advice from coaches, friends and even enemies. I'd love to pass it along!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles