Well, this is interesting...Ford Trucks Gas Mileage Lawsuit

D

Deleted member 9101

My Ecoboost gets 23mpg highway, just like the sticker says. I had some neighbor years ago complain about MPG on his Ecoboost F150. "I only get 17MPG on the highway!" "How fast do you go?" "80 - 85MPH." ?

Same here. People are shocked when I tell them that I get 25 mpg...then they scoff when I tell them its at 70mph.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well I'm still a nOOb in the EcoBoost world but I can't say I'm unhappy so far. First actual fuelup (at 500 miles!) yielded about 18.2, hand calculated. That was about 50% highway, cruising at 65 - 75 through the moutains (Grand Junction to Denver) which includes 2 10,000'+ passes (Vail at 10,600' and Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000') and the other 250 miles of city/suburb driving. And that was on rot-gut 85 octane (85 is our "base" octane at high altitudes, equal to 87 at sea level.)

Not bad for a truck of this size and power.

No, it's not a Prius. My Suburban would have struggled to get 13 mpg under those circumstances. Particularly the stop-and-go city MPG which according to the gauge on the dash, regularly hovers at ~18 mpg where the 'Burb was lucky to get 11.5.

phsycle

Adventurer
... And that was on rot-gut 85 octane (85 is our "base" octane at high altitudes, equal to 87 at sea level.)

FYI, manual specifically states nothing below 87 octance even in high-elevation states. I've also got 85, 87, and 91 here. I just use premium myself now, since I mostly fill up at Costco.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
FYI, manual specifically states nothing below 87 octance even in high-elevation states. I've also got 85, 87, and 91 here. I just use premium myself now, since I mostly fill up at Costco.

Good point. Even at the higher altitudes!?! Just goes to show....It’s always a smart idea to read your owners’ manual.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Well I'm still a nOOb in the EcoBoost world but I can't say I'm unhappy so far. First actual fuelup (at 500 miles!) yielded about 18.2, hand calculated. That was about 50% highway, cruising at 65 - 75 through the mountains (Grand Junction to Denver) which includes 2 10,000'+ passes (Vail at 10,600' and Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000') and the other 250 miles of city/suburb driving. And that was on rot-gut 85 octane (85 is our "base" octane at high altitudes, equal to 87 at sea level.)

Not bad for a truck of this size and power.

No, it's not a Prius. My Suburban would have struggled to get 13 mpg under those circumstances. Particularly the stop-and-go city MPG which according to the gauge on the dash, regularly hovers at ~18 mpg where the 'Burb was lucky to get 11.5.

You'll get slightly better fuel economy if you run premium fuel, but probably not enough to offset the additional cost.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You'll get slightly better fuel economy if you run premium fuel, but probably not enough to offset the additional cost.

Yeah, I'll fill up with premium next time around just for comparison purposes. Not sure about other parts of the country but around here the difference between premium and regular can be $0.50 - $0.80 per gallon. That's not trivial - it's $15 - $24 per fuel up for me (@30 gallons.)

Obviously if it avoids damaging a $35k vehicle, it's a worthy expense. I may have to re-do my Gasbuddy preferences. Right now I look for the cheapest gas, period, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapest premium isn't always at the station with the cheapest 85 octane.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah, I'll fill up with premium next time around just for comparison purposes. Not sure about other parts of the country but around here the difference between premium and regular can be $0.50 - $0.80 per gallon. That's not trivial - it's $15 - $24 per fuel up for me (@30 gallons.)

Obviously if it avoids damaging a $35k vehicle, it's a worthy expense. I may have to re-do my Gasbuddy preferences. Right now I look for the cheapest gas, period, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapest premium isn't always at the station with the cheapest 85 octane.
Yeah, It's quite a difference up here too.

dreadlocks

When I moved up here I had a couple NA gas vehicles that were running like crap, sputtering and idling rough.. I incorrectly assumed it was due to altitude and just not enough air.. was not until I decided to put midgrade in one day on a whim that everything smoothed out and ran great, and fuel economy went up significantly.. I didn't realize how low our octane level was for a good while, cuz everything else in my fleet was either premium or diesel and I just didn't pay any attention.

D

Deleted member 9101

Obviously if it avoids damaging a $35k vehicle, it's a worthy expense.

I ran my 3.5 on 87 for ~170,000 (much of that towing 10k) and it never flinched. Premium wasn't an option on a gov't fuel card.

While premium fuel makes more power, the truck can detect changes in the octane of the fuel you are running and adjust on the fly to compensate for lower octane levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior