Well that's disappointing! Ford has dropped Rivian.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
With the downturn in the economy thanks to the kungflu, (and other problems) Ford has pulled out of their deal with Rivian, kinda sucks losing a collaboration that may have produced a viable electric truck for the masses.

billiebob

Well thats true, but often the breakup is due to a manufacturer needing more than the tech company can provide and the R&D just moves in house, sometimes with some of the tech companys key people. We can hope.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I was talking with someone who knows a bit of "insider information"; this isn't the end of Ford attempting to build an electric F150 (and potentially Super Duty trucks too), just the end of the partnership between to the two companies for the time being.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I was talking with someone who knows a bit of "insider information"; this isn't the end of Ford attempting to build an electric F150 (and potentially Super Duty trucks too), just the end of the partnership between to the two companies for the time being.
As long as someone builds a decent electric truck that is suited for the masses and ticks off most of the boxes that seem important to me, i.e. range, charging stations, cost, usability and aesthetics I don't care who builds it I will finally buy a new truck.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
As long as someone builds a decent electric truck that is suited for the masses and ticks off most of the boxes that seem important to me, i.e. range, charging stations, cost, usability and aesthetics I don't care who builds it I will finally buy a new truck.

I think if they made a SCREW with 5.5 foot bed, 4x4 as an option, range of at least 300 miles and something that can tow up to a boat then a market will find itself. I believe most companies are using universal plugs for chargers, charging stations are becoming more common (I see them all over here in Atlanta). Assuming it has the same styling as the F150, and its introduced as a trim level (similar to the Fusion Hybrid) then I see no reason why it won't sell.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Until exchangeable batteries or 5 minute recharges are a reality the electrics won't be either. If you're a homeowner with solar urban use it's feasible. Negative if you live in an apartment complex with two,even 10 rechargers. Same with work,if you work in a location with many offices or buildings and have to compete for a recharge. it all hinges on a battery technology breakthrough.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
yep, Ford dropped Marmon Harrington and went to building 4WD in house
Pretty crappy comparison, early 4wd systems were nothing compared to the complexities of modern e-vehicles, I get what ypu mean but at least try to compare systems from the same decade much less century!

F350joe

I wonder if the long term prospect of cheap gas had anything to do with it? EVs are a tougher sell when gas is cheap. I did see something about the Excursion coming back which was a product of the cheap gas era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles