Well, my friend took the plunge...Z71 2004 Suburban for Overland/Off Road. Build test video and walkaround inside!

RC000E

So, we both had E350 2wd vans and we came across the country/moved with them. We both ended up selling the vans, and I went WD21 1st gen Pathfinder, while he ended up going Suburban. Vids of both and ongoing mods are on the channel. In this video though, we look at his "first stage" of the build, and will update as it continues. I show a big look at the local trails of Las Vegas, and surrounding areas. Please give it a look, maybe throw a comment on the video itself. If any Las Vegas locals or folks passing through have a cool build, let me know...always opened to doing a vid!

Last edited:

shrineboy

So, we both had E350 2wd vans and we came across the country/moved with them. We both ended up selling the vans, and I went WD21 1st gen Pathfinder, while he ended up going Suburban. Vids of both and ongoing mods are on the channel. In this video though, we look at his "first stage" of the build, and will update as it continues. I show a big look at the local trails of Las Vegas, and surrounding areas. Please give it a look, maybe throw a comment on the video itself. If any Las Vegas locals or folks passing through have a cool build, let me know...always opened to doing a vid!

Gotta love the sub. Much more capable than people give it credit for.

RC000E

Did another run in the Suburban with some technical downhill. Tried to capture the angles and descent as well as possible. Josh is still adapting to off road angles and getting over discomfort when the vehicle is tilted in a manner he doesn't like. Did well though...

shrineboy

Did another run in the Suburban with some technical downhill. Tried to capture the angles and descent as well as possible. Josh is still adapting to off road angles and getting over discomfort when the vehicle is tilted in a manner he doesn't like. Did well though...

That was pretty good. I can definitely understand the fear, that was some pretty steep and rocky sections. Couple that with inexperience, that can be scary. About the only thing that I might recommend would be more experience. That was a good video, I definitely liked it. You absolutely have to have the mustard ?.

Hackopotomus

Observer
Hey, I recognize you from the Corvette Forum! Great video, like most of yours are.

Not sure how cool my truck is but it is a work in progress. I'll be making a trip down to Vegas this month or next. I'm just south of Carson/Tahoe.

IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

Chuck1

I'm sliding...... :)

May i suggest wearing a seat belt while sliding ?

Vegas is a great area to wheel.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Its great to see another Vegas Suburban build. Check out my youtube channel for time lapse videos of local trails.

My favorites are:

Fire Mountain RD at Lake Mead of Aztec wash

Anniversarry Mine Lake Mead

Bitter Sprins Scenic biway

Tierod Canyon off ob Blue Diamond

Suburbans are highly under-rated for overlanding, I could not be happier with mine and my toddlers had a blast exploring some very remote reaches of the southwest over last few years in it!

I left Vegas last year but will be back for a week or two in the spring, would be a blast to meet up and check out some local trail.

0Mv0piA.jpg

My Suburban on Mojave Trail before I left Vegas.

NBafKgw.jpg

My Suburban after leaving Las Vegas.

RC000E

That was pretty good. I can definitely understand the fear, that was some pretty steep and rocky sections. Couple that with inexperience, that can be scary. About the only thing that I might recommend would be more experience. That was a good video, I definitely liked it. You absolutely have to have the mustard ?.

He tries to work through it. He just has a very "worst case scenario" outlook on things...it's why people don't take calculated risks...too many things to go wrong despite his being fairly safe in the moment. He battles listening because he trusts his own judgement from the driver seat, versus that of the spotter...definitely makes our outings interesting...lol. The first video where we got caught on the cliff edge...lol....that was all him not listening...haha. That was a real close one...we very closely almost had to call on SNORR for a recovery crew...lol.

Hey, I recognize you from the Corvette Forum! Great video, like most of yours are.

Not sure how cool my truck is but it is a work in progress. I'll be making a trip down to Vegas this month or next. I'm just south of Carson/Tahoe.

That's a beast there. We explore a lot of good trails that'd work on...some mild stuff. Not sure how crazy you get...lol. Lots of great places in the area.

I'm sliding...... :)

May i suggest wearing a seat belt while sliding ?

Vegas is a great area to wheel.

Josh has this "bailout" theory....that wouldn't work for him...lol.

Its great to see another Vegas Suburban build. Check out my youtube channel for time lapse videos of local trails.

My favorites are:

Fire Mountain RD at Lake Mead of Aztec wash

Anniversarry Mine Lake Mead

Bitter Sprins Scenic biway

Tierod Canyon off ob Blue Diamond

Suburbans are highly under-rated for overlanding, I could not be happier with mine and my toddlers had a blast exploring some very remote reaches of the southwest over last few years in it!

I left Vegas last year but will be back for a week or two in the spring, would be a blast to meet up and check out some local trail.

0Mv0piA.jpg

My Suburban on Mojave Trail before I left Vegas.

NBafKgw.jpg

My Suburban after leaving Las Vegas.

I'm familiar with your truck and videos. He debated your modifications and your approach before he went 33's and the path he went. I was looking to produce more videos and did a search and saw you went to Maine or some craziness...lol. I'm like...F that! We came from Pittsburgh, Pa, via Atlanta (3yrs)....Pa was bad enough.

I like that you did the front end...that's sweet! Josh would crap his pants if he saw that. Your trucks lookin real nice.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I'm familiar with your truck and videos. He debated your modifications and your approach before he went 33's and the path he went. I was looking to produce more videos and did a search and saw you went to Maine or some craziness...lol. I'm like...F that! We came from Pittsburgh, Pa, via Atlanta (3yrs)....Pa was bad enough.

I like that you did the front end...that's sweet! Josh would crap his pants if he saw that. Your trucks lookin real nice.

RC000E,

I am glad that you saw my build and did not follow in my exact footsteps. What I did fits me and my needs and may not work for Josh.

I did go to Maine, it's cold up here, I miss the desert but there is plenty of adventures to get into here too.

My front end came out way better than I though it would. Couple hundred will get you the two fenders, hood and headlights, I think thats all you really need, it's a complete bolt on.

Look forward to seeing more on the Suburban build and adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles