Weldtec or Camburg?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ll be hauling my dirt bikes to trail ride and races along with camping. Since I’m in the PNW the parking areas or access roads to where I go can be really muddy in the winter and potholes with washboard roads in the summer. I’m hoping larger tire diameter combined with better suspension will help with the ride while tire tread and rear axle gearing will help with not getting stock. Also, there’s two mountain passes that get snow and ice all winter that I driver over to get to different riding areas. I also want some ground clearance to get into some spots. Most of the time I’ll be on pavement. Sometimes snow covered pavement.

For example, two times in the past with a stock Transit 150 I got stuck trying to leave a riding area. Both times the weather was good in the morning but it rained while I was riding. When I tried to leave the conditions were just enough to make it difficult. One time I got stuck on wet grass. Hahaha I’m sure this was having the wrong rear axle and tires.....which is part of why I’m building the new van.

I’m familiar with the PNW... we are practically neighbors. I’m in Grand Mound currently.

I spent 5 months in the Kootneys, a local I knew swore by his crew cab with Posi. He often drove up trails past stuck 4x4s... only to find the drivers still stuck when he was headed back out. On the way in they turn down his offer for help... on the way out they were often more receptive. I averaged 200 km a day on Forrest service roads... not once did I need 4wd... because I knew how to drive.

Last edited:
I’m familiar with the PNW... we are practically neighbors. I’m in Grand Mound currently.

I spent 5 months in the Kootneys, a local I knew swore by his crew cab with Posi. He often drove up trails past stuck 4x4s... only to find the drivers still stuck when he was headed back out. On the way in they turn down his offer for help... on the way out they were often more receptive. I averaged 200 km a day on Forrest service roads... not once did I need 4wd... because I knew how to drive.

That’s what I figure, if I know how to drive and have the correct setup, I can go anywhere.

chop

Adventurer
I recently installed a Weldtec lift on my 2WD 2500 Express van.

I live off-grid in northern AZ off a well traveled county maintained dirt road. The roads into my place are seldom maintained once I'm off the county road. The weldtec eats up washboard on the county road quite well. Not perfect, but I don't expect it to be. That being said I've never had a better ride on washboard. My datum is all the stock 4WD trucks I've owned and a Sportsmobile 4WD E350 van.

I did install a Detroit Trutrac with 4.10 gears for the 33" tires and will supplement my recovery gear to include bad weather situations. Believe me I've been in some dicey conditions out here. I will say I'm constantly surprised by how capable most stock 4WD vehicles are once the reality of required travel on sketchy roads is a must. It's a way of life here and it's been done with less capable vehicles for decades.

It also helps that every rancher and dusty cowboy and societal dropout out here will stop to help if you trust your rig and driving too much.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks guys ^^^^^ for the kind words.....
I would go with the WeldTec Designs kit over Camburg any day but I'm a little biased..... lol...
Off course we love helping all of you guys on the forum and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. We are continuously adding videos to our your tube to show off this kit and other to help you understand the difference in kits and what makes ours stand out.
Here is a Chinook we recently completed which has the Baja Grocery Getter front suspension and the custom leaf springs in the rear.
Let us know if we can help @Seattle E350

grampswrx

Observer
I’ve had two vans worked on by Jeremy and he was great. The Baja kit is really great and rides awesome as well. I had an action van kit on another van and it was too stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FROADER

Adventurer
I live 4 miles from Camburg and I have the WeldTech Ocotillo Cruiser kit on mine. As mentioned a few times in this thread, Jeremy's customer service is second to none. Not often you get the owner of the company answering your calls with any questions or concerns you may have with their product. Another bonus is WeldTech is cheaper after all said and done. I'm super happy with mine!

Thanks for the posts everyone. I went with the 6” full performance package. I had a local weld/off road shop install it. Everything went on without any issues and the van drives so damn good. I have a build thread going. I’ll post pics and updates in there. I also just did new axle shafts, 4.10’s, and a Trutrac. Headed off road this weekend to go to a remote dirt bike race. Can’t wait.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the posts everyone. I went with the 6” full performance package. I had a local weld/off road shop install it. Everything went on without any issues and the van drives so damn good. I have a build thread going. I’ll post pics and updates in there. I also just did new axle shafts, 4.10’s, and a Trutrac. Headed off road this weekend to go to a remote dirt bike race. Can’t wait.

Awe shucks, with a review like that, I now want to lift the front end more to level it out... :D

Awe shucks, with a review like that, I now want to lift the front end more to level it out... :D

In hindsight I’d probably have done the 4” lift instead just because it’s kind of tall for loading my bikes. I’m super happy with it and Weldtec’s customer service.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
What are you waiting for! lets have some fun with yours now....

A budget. I’ve been off work for medical reasons for 2+ years... my LTD claim has recently been officially denied because my employer changed the dates of my qualifying period to be before I even went off... because I was well enough to work before I went off, they have denied my claim. Conveniently the same party that pays out the insurance changed the dates... and because the dates were wrong they don’t have to pay. Aka no income in the last 2 years :(

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m pretty happy with the current height in the front... there is a stock looking rake, nothing excessive. With 4’+ of overhang behind the rear axle, lifting the front effectively lowers the rear bumper. 880s and Bilstein Shocks are a huge improvement over stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles