Weldtec or Camburg?

1998 E350

I’ve been reading a bunch of reviews and my brain is turning to mush. I’m looking at either the Camburg Trail Kit with fox 2.0 or Weldtec Baja Grocery Getter kit. They seem pretty similar. At this point I’m thinking of decide which one to purchase based on after purchase support. Who has experience with either or both brands and can help me decide?

Attachments

• 50C394B9-DABE-418C-8FA2-A5430EA1C2AF.jpeg
    50C394B9-DABE-418C-8FA2-A5430EA1C2AF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I can't speak to after, but Jeremy at WeldTec spent 30 minutes on the phone with me discussing options on a van I didn't even own yet. He helped me realize it wasn't the right fit for me and for sure saved me a lot of wallet ache in the process.

He seems like a really solid guy and I've never read a negative word about him on any of the forums I frequent. Plus their products look sick.

I can't speak about Camburg because I haven't seen anything about them on here. Or anywhere really. But maybe other members have experience with them.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Based on what I have seen here, I’d probably go Weldtech. Lots of members seem really happy with his package.

I have seen one negative review on the Sportsmobile Forum. I’m not sure what happened there. He wasn’t able to get alignment right. Subsequently he brought it to Weldtech to get it fixed. Burned up a set of tires to get there. Says he couldn’t get any FaceTime with Jeremy... and they weren’t able to fix the problem. I’d love to here the other side of the story, but it has led me to have some reservations.

mothgils

I have been doing research myself and debating between a lifted 2wd or convert to 4x4 on our E350. I put an inquiry in via Weldtec's website and received a call back from Jeremy. He spent 20 minutes or so with me on the phone answering my questions and discussing his suspension setup. He has since called me to follow up on our conversations. Really impressed with this customer service (and I haven't bought a thing from him).

Thanks for the replies. I still haven’t made my decision. I plan to call each place and ask them a few questions.

I have been doing research myself and debating between a lifted 2wd or convert to 4x4 on our E350. I put an inquiry in via Weldtec's website and received a call back from Jeremy. He spent 20 minutes or so with me on the phone answering my questions and discussing his suspension setup. He has since called me to follow up on our conversations. Really impressed with this customer service (and I haven't bought a thing from him).

I don’t need 4x4 for 90% of what I’m doing so I’m saving some cash and just doing what I think is a well thought out 2wd. I figure with the correct suspension, tires and gearing the van should be able to do what I want very well.

mitchn06

I’m in the same boat trying to decide on the Weldtec 4” kit or just do the moog CC880 (2000 e250 w/5.4) spring swap. Biggest issue I’m having is trying to find good verified part numbers for bilstein 2” extended shocks for after the lift. Figure I could get both a LSD and 2” lift with the moog springs for the price of the Weldtec kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m not sure what you’re planning to do with your rigs. I have found my 2wd Ambo with a rear LSD and 6k lbs over the rear axle will go anywhere I point it in the snow. I’ve only driven it on the road in the snow but it does as well as my 4x4 for that use. I’m sure it’ll handle any logging road. Beach/sand would be limited by the 225/75R16 tires.

For more serious off road I’ve got an old 4x4 that can fit down the narrow trails that we have locally. The 4x4 will go just about anywhere... at least until the snow is 4’+. Lowering tire pressure helps... but open diffs have their limits.

mitchn06

What I want to do and what I actually have time to do are totally different. Haha. To put it into perspective, I was stopped at a red light this morning on a very small hump in the road, light turned green and I was done. Couldn’t get traction to leave. Finally made it through when the light went back to yellow. Lol, I know this is tire and weight related, and there will be a new set of 245/75 wildpeaks in my driveway when I get home tonight, but that was just embarrassing. Just bought the van a month ago, it has Michelin ltx 225/75s with date code from 2006 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Sounds like weight is your biggest obstacle. I’d have to try very hard to spin a tire. I’ve got decent all seasons but nothing special.

Raul

Adventurer
After a week in Crested Butte, CO I love my Wild Peak AT3Ws. Only used 4x4 getting out of a very steep driveway and when hitting forest roads.

On my 2000 E150 5.4l I used Moog CC880 with Bilsteins specified for E350 RVs and liked them very much. More info, including part #s here: Suspension review.

I’m not sure what you’re planning to do with your rigs. I have found my 2wd Ambo with a rear LSD and 6k lbs over the rear axle will go anywhere I point it in the snow. I’ve only driven it on the road in the snow but it does as well as my 4x4 for that use. I’m sure it’ll handle any logging road. Beach/sand would be limited by the 225/75R16 tires.

For more serious off road I’ve got an old 4x4 that can fit down the narrow trails that we have locally. The 4x4 will go just about anywhere... at least until the snow is 4’+. Lowering tire pressure helps... but open diffs have their limits.

I’ll be hauling my dirt bikes to trail ride and races along with camping. Since I’m in the PNW the parking areas or access roads to where I go can be really muddy in the winter and potholes with washboard roads in the summer. I’m hoping larger tire diameter combined with better suspension will help with the ride while tire tread and rear axle gearing will help with not getting stock. Also, there’s two mountain passes that get snow and ice all winter that I driver over to get to different riding areas. I also want some ground clearance to get into some spots. Most of the time I’ll be on pavement. Sometimes snow covered pavement.

For example, two times in the past with a stock Transit 150 I got stuck trying to leave a riding area. Both times the weather was good in the morning but it rained while I was riding. When I tried to leave the conditions were just enough to make it difficult. One time I got stuck on wet grass. Hahaha I’m sure this was having the wrong rear axle and tires.....which is part of why I’m building the new van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior