Welding camper brackets to truck frame?

billiebob

The only thing I could bolt to for a clamp style would be 1/4 flat bar, which would just bend. I can’t drill and through-bolt as there is barely enough room to slide the aforementioned 1/4” plate between the frame and tank. I’ll spend a bit more time under the truck in the next few days and figure out an option.
post a few pictures

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It’s legal where you live. I’m from Rossland/Warfield originally. Where are you in the Koots? Kind of odd that you’re posting a story about a bodyshop and a lawsuit in Texas, when you live a loooooooong way from there?

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Technically, it is illegal to weld to the frame. A journeyman welder might be qualified to do it, but are you? There are also restrictions on drilling holes. Best to be legal.

please share where you found the basis for the above statement

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
@MuleShoer : I doubt we’ll hear back from him. His replies stopped after I pointed out he was quoting a story from more than 2,000 miles and one international boundary from where he, and coincidentally, I live.

I ended up getting the Torklift front tiedowns and will fabricate rears to work with my receiver hitch like I usually do. I need a hitch extension to tow with the camper, so I add mudguards and tie downs to that. It works well.

Ole Chipper

20 years as a autobody frame tech. It's not advisable/recommended by the manufactures to weld a frame. It's not a matter of legal or should.

All you welders should know that heating steel hot enough to get a good weld penetration will effect the temper in the steel. Which will weaken the metal possibly causing a crack or failure. Now there are many variables to this depending on location of weld area.

Would I weld in the middle of the frame heck NO. Next to any suspension or critical area HECK NO. Weld on the very end by the bumper sure. What it really comes down to is it worth risking your rig or worse??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles