Welding camper brackets to truck frame?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What’s the yea or nay on this? My new truck needs brackets, and there is no easy way to use a clamp on style due to fuel tank being too close to the inside of the frame rail. Guys weld sliders on to frames all the time, so why not camper tie downs?

And I do have a background working at a welding and fabrication business that is certified in all aspects of structural and pipeline welding, so the “hillbilly with a $100 Kmart stick welder syndrome” doesn’t factor in. I’m talking about actual proper welds using proper technique and equipment.

As I type this out, I’m thinking people do Mega-longbox frame extensions, so I shouldn’t be too concerned about a couple of zaps to hold some 1 1/2” square tubing on, right?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It’s a 15 year old 3500 that I paid $4,100 for. Not sure why I’d bother looking for the upfitter guide. I will be mounting the camper regardless of bolt on or weld on brackets.

CampStewart

Observer
What’s the yea or nay on this? My new truck needs brackets, and there is no easy way to use a clamp on style due to fuel tank being too close to the inside of the frame rail. Guys weld sliders on to frames all the time, so why not camper tie downs?

And I do have a background working at a welding and fabrication business that is certified in all aspects of structural and pipeline welding, so the “hillbilly with a $100 Kmart stick welder syndrome” doesn’t factor in. I’m talking about actual proper welds using proper technique and equipment.

As I type this out, I’m thinking people do Mega-longbox frame extensions, so I shouldn’t be too concerned about a couple of zaps to hold some 1 1/2” square tubing on, right?
Do I understand this correctly, you are an experienced welder/fabricator and you are asking a bunch of people who aren't if it is acceptable to fabricate something?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Do I understand this correctly, you are an experienced welder/fabricator and you are asking a bunch of people who aren't if it is acceptable to fabricate something?

Nope. I’m not asking unqualified people if it’s “ok”. I’m hoping people who have any knowledge that I may NOT have to share it. I am modest enough to realize I may have overlooked something. I’m 99% sure I haven’t, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, does it? I’m also not afraid to ask for directions if I’m ever lost.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Skip welding just bolt on some plates. If your welding the ends of a frame no biggie but mid line at the bed/cab heating the frame up might be bad news later especially with a heavy load being planned.

Lance990

Observer
Have you considered the Happijac frame mount system? It uses a truss system to secure the camper to the frame through the truck bed. I have gone offroad many times with my heavy camper and never had a single problem. The front turnbuckles are spring loaded so that the camper can move independent of the truck and not rip anything off or bend anything. The rear turnbuckles mount to the bumper which has flex in it already. The fronts basically control the camper while the rears keep it from sliding forward. Their system controls roll, pitch and yaw. No other system does that.

https://happijac.com/our-advantage.html

As far as welding on the frame of a truck, I have always been advised not to do it but I don't know the details as of why it is a bad idea.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I don’t think I would weld to something where the reason for not bolting was proximity to a fuel tank. If you remove the tank for welding safety, you might as well do the bolting/huck bolting/hydraulic riveting.

CampStewart

Observer
Nope. I’m not asking unqualified people if it’s “ok”. I’m hoping people who have any knowledge that I may NOT have to share it. I am modest enough to realize I may have overlooked something. I’m 99% sure I haven’t, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, does it? I’m also not afraid to ask for directions if I’m ever lost.
This seems like asking for directions if you know where you are and how to get where you are going . I dare say that a pretty much any 220v stick welder would be more than capable of performing the weld as described with the proper electrodes. If you dont think so than why not? There is much I don't know about welding so maybe I can learn something new

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I probably shouldn’t have even started this thread.

The truck is diesel, so no worry about welding on the opposite side of the frame from the tank.

I’ve had Torklift products on most of my trucks, and am very versed on their products. I am a product evaluator for them, but given the fact that the border is closed, I can’t go pick anything up, and don’t feel like paying Canadian wholesale. I just thought I might build my own this time as I have the equipment and skills to do it.

As I said, I’m was just looking to see if anyone had done it before and with what degree of success. Using rock sliders as an example, they get welded on to frames in multiple spots midship, and are expected to support the weight of the entire vehicle. I’ve yet to see a frame break in half from anything other than rust.

Thanks for your input so far...

1000arms

... I am modest enough to realize I may have overlooked something. I’m 99% sure I haven’t, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, does it? ...

Good for you, I wish more people were, and, no, it doesn't!

I can't quote a particular source that explains why, but I would avoid welding the brackets on.

With a C-channel frame, I would drill and bolt with a different size reinforcing/load-distributing plate on each side of the channel. This, as I suspect you know, would distribute the load and avoid stresses on the frame created by by using the same-sized plates.

For a boxed frame, I would do the same, but drill bigger holes and use thick walled tubing in the holes so the bolts can't compress/collapse the frame. I suspect you already know this too. :)

Yes, welding would be much quicker, but I thinking bolting the brackets on is your best choice.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
My concern would not b the frame cracking and failing but the tie down bracket failing at the attach point on the frame, AEV welded the stretch frame on brutes with no known issues.
if you proceed with welding on the mounts make sure to use as large as attach plate as possible this will distribute the torque load into the welds better. If you cant bolt it weld it!

billiebob

Technically, it is illegal to weld to the frame. A journeyman welder might be qualified to do it, but are you? There are also restrictions on drilling holes. Best to be legal.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The only thing I could bolt to for a clamp style would be 1/4 flat bar, which would just bend. I can’t drill and through-bolt as there is barely enough room to slide the aforementioned 1/4” plate between the frame and tank. I’ll spend a bit more time under the truck in the next few days and figure out an option.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Technically, it is illegal to weld to the frame. A journeyman welder might be qualified to do it.

Illegal where?

FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) came up with a “solution” to their draglink adjuster nut recall issue. Their solution, which was reached in conjunction with the NTSB, was to weld the two adjuster nuts to the sleeve nut. That solution is totally illegal where I live, but it was a huge battle to have the local dealership replace the parts they welded. They said “oh, it’s fine because the solution was found in conjunction with the NTSB and Transport Canada”. I showed him the paragraph in the government inspection guidelines for my jurisdiction that stated in plain English that ANY welding on steering components is immediate grounds for removing the vehicle from the road”, yet they argued it was fine.

You CAN legally weld frames, it just needs to be done properly, and in some cases, inspected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne