Weird 2nd gen coolant leak and question about front axle shaft

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
Yes;
Vacuum Canister - for the Shift On The Fly feature... replace all of those rubber hoses [they are leaking]... this includes the hoses going up the fender well to the solenoids. As well, ensure that the Differential Breather Hoses [front & rear] are attached... best to replace those rubber hoses, too. Missing those breather hoses... the differentials can fill with water.

Dampener is a must... you will notice the difference if it is missing.

While you are under there, it is time to replace the Transmission Mount... it needs replacing - like, yesterday [found cheap, on the internet].

kenley&co

Yes;
Vacuum Canister - for the Shift On The Fly feature... replace all of those rubber hoses [they are leaking]... this includes the hoses going up the fender well to the solenoids. As well, ensure that the Differential Breather Hoses [front & rear] are attached... best to replace those rubber hoses, too. Missing those breather hoses... the differentials can fill with water.

Dampener is a must... you will notice the difference if it is missing.

While you are under there, it is time to replace the Transmission Mount... it needs replacing - like, yesterday [found cheap, on the internet].

what would be leaking from the hoses into the vacuum canister? Air? Oil? 4wd works fine... Sorry I’m still learning how to work on my own stuff now that mechanics are 100$/hr. I’m pretty sure the oil you see is from someone being lazy and trying to change the oil without removing the skids then never cleaned it up...I’m slowly trying to clean it up and baseline it

I know the transmission mounts need to be changed too I was going to do it when I change the tranny fluid and filter

evomaki

Observer
That canister is a vacuum accumulator. If it leaks then it will not hold vacuum generated from the intake of your engine. That vacuum is used to actuate a lever which engages the center diff in the front. That is actuated when you put the vehicle into 4wd. For a contrast the 4wd Montero Sports do not have this switch at the front diff. The front diff is always connected, only disconnect if you will is at the transfer case. You need a vacuum accumulator as the engine is not all times making vacuum, say when the throttle plates are closed. As I side note, my buddy growing up had a '56 Mercury truck with vacuum actuated windshield wipers and obviously no such canister. Better be on throttle if you wanted to see out the windshield in a rainstorm.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Go to my signature to grab an FSM for the location of the pipes/hoses. Parts can be found on RockAuto or PartSouq. I usually use the latter to decide which ones I want to be OEM since they provide parts diagrams.

RyanY

Adventurer
You need a vacuum accumulator as the engine is not all times making vacuum, say when the throttle plates are closed.

Not quite correct: engines make their highest vacuum at idle when the throttle plates are closed. Vacuum drops instantly when the throttle is opened, and very little vacuum exists under full-throttle acceleration. Attach a vacuum gauge to your engine and see for yourself.

PacS14

Adventurer
Well I'm tackling this weird leak tomorrow. All rubber hoses related to vacuum and coolant will be replaced, but that is the easy part, I will be doing my valve guide stem seals along with tune up, etc. I need to get my vehicle ready for a couple of trips to Austin and what not

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I’ve got grief from others here before for this, but all I’d do with those vacuum lines is snip the end off a few mm and push it back on. That’s what I did years ago and everything is fine, original lines (1998 so 20+ years old). I doubt you’ll have a hole in the middle of the hose, it’s probably just the ends leaking. Once you cut off the stretched out part, it will seal just fine. Save yourself some time.

PacS14

Adventurer
I’ve got grief from others here before for this, but all I’d do with those vacuum lines is snip the end off a few mm and push it back on. That’s what I did years ago and everything is fine, original lines (1998 so 20+ years old). I doubt you’ll have a hole in the middle of the hose, it’s probably just the ends leaking. Once you cut off the stretched out part, it will seal just fine. Save yourself some time.

Yes I've done that before with no issues on other cars, on a.pinch even radiator hoses that leak right at the end of the nipple in the middle of nowhere just cutting and stretching the hose is a life saver that eventually I forgot to "do it right" in one of my past vehicles and went and ran without issues for another 35k+ miles lol not my proudest moment but I honestly forgot until I got rid of the car.

PacS14

Adventurer
Leak and all old rubber hoses are gone, I found a few that could have been leaking. Also new tune up and valve cover gaskets, this time I added gasket maker dabs to every bolt hole on the gasket and helped tremendously to hold it in place and put some gasket maker on top and bottom of the spark plug "hole" gaskets my old were leaking there for some reason and I wasn't going to take chances this time.

PacS14

Adventurer
nice job, want to do mine next? ?
Hell no! Lol man you know what it is not a bad as I remembered, I removed the radiator and fan to make things a lot easier, but then I checked again today and there's still a small leak, so I'm leaning towards the radiator hoses or worse case scenario water pump... Damn it!

kenley&co

Ah man that’s the worst haha nothing like redoing something. I just changed my cv axle and now it’s leaking 2 weeks later but I’m going to reboot the factory one and swap it back in...that’s what I get for buying a oReilys one. My coolant leak stopped so I’m going to hold off for now I just don’t have the time

PacS14

Adventurer
I out the dye and o can see the coolant dripping under and coming from somewhere above the alternator, I checked all the hoses on the intake, they are still all good, I have a automotive camera from HF, I will give it a try when I get home if it's not raining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles