Weird 2nd gen coolant leak and question about front axle shaft

kenley&co

Hey guys just noticed a really slow coolant leak, maybe drips on the top of the transmission skid once a week but maybe is burning off as I drive too. I can not track down where it’s coming from...it’s from the back of the engine more towards the driver side and running down the back of the block then the transmission and drips off one of the bolts on the trans. I have a picture but it’s not very good it’s basically all I can see though...I can see slightly higher in person and it just looks like it’s been going on awhile with a lot of white and blueish corrosion but can’t see where it’s actually coming out

also just curious if this pic or the front axle is normal or those two welds are repairs for some reason...?
CB8EBB42-04FB-412F-9A37-E86475F80DDE.jpeg0ABD0DBD-FF4D-400C-B3F1-0493932ABEF0.jpeg4C28CB13-75E2-47C5-8420-7A36F381119E.jpeg6919DB8A-34A9-4FE1-AE77-4585802F9AD2.jpeg289DCCCE-DB27-43E3-B17B-681852815387.jpeg4E3A9514-165A-4A46-B088-955CA053952B.jpeg

kenley&co

Yeah it’s a hard one to spot I missed it when I bought this a month ago...I’m hoping I can just forget about it for awhile with no harm done because unless it’s somehow coming from the front and running over the manifold or something it’s lookin like the motor would have to be pulled

...and at that point I might as well overhaul the whole thing but don’t have that kind of cash right now

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Motor wouldn’t need to be pulled but you would need to remove the intake plenum down to the manifold. There is a coolant hose at the back of the engine that is probably the source of your leak.
put some UV dye in your system and drive it for a day or two then park it in a dark garage and zero in on the leak. Could also be the hookups to the firewall for the heater core. The dye will help you.

RyanY

Adventurer
Not sure which motor you're dealing with, but on the 3.5 DOHC there are 3 small coolant hoses behind the thermostat housing that are typically ignored until they start to leak. The coolant drips into the valley and usually evaporates before there's any visible evidence of the leak. There's also the o-ring on the coolant pipe that goes into the back of the water pump that can leak into the valley as well. Best bet is to pull the upper manifold and replace all the cooling system hoses that you don't know the age of, because if one is leaking, the others are all going to be in similar condition.

kenley&co

Cool so you guys aren’t thinking I have to pull the motor. I was concerned maybe a freeze plug or something on the block but I don’t hear of those failing much..It is the 3.5 motor it’s a 95 SR sorry I should have included that info

it’s my daily so is pulling the manifold and replacing those hoses something not too big a deal? I don’t like working on trucks much curse words go flying every time and I like to snap bolts but I’m mechanically inclined enough it’s more not having the right tools

I recall that when I replaced my hoses, I wasn't able to find a kit so just had to put one together piecemeal through ebay and online OEM Mitsu parts sellers.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
As well, Coolant Bypass Pipe & Coolant Inlet Pipe/ O-Rings are a common defective issue.
Further, the coolant pipes [nipples] attached to the Throttle Body do corrode.
Prepare to do a bunch of service, to include Plugs/ Wires/ Gaskets/ Vacuum Hoses, while you delve in.

kenley&co

That’s what I’m afraid of I don’t have the time for all of that so hopefully it holds up till summer.

Random question here, probably stupid, and I might as well not start another thread...what are these? 1D017871-2468-4E0E-A653-7C87619141C9.jpeg377F77D9-593A-4384-88F0-9B305ACDB366.jpeg
First is the front near the passenger torsion bar, second is in front side of and below rear drive shaft...going into the transfer case

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
The front photo appears to be your vacuum accumulator for your super select 4x4 clutch on the front axle. Not sure about the other thing.

RyanY

Adventurer
The second one is a mass damper - it's a weight that is specifically designed and located to reduce harmonic vibrations within the drivetrain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles