Weight

dole

Yeah, we are on the same page.
And is exactly my point, when I say that Toyota has typically run more conservative with their ratings.

What you are referring to is the margin of safety.

And is also 100% why I refuse to run anything but a 3/4 or 1-ton, with a full float rear axle.

The actual Sterling/Visteon rating for the rear axle itself in my superduty, which is under essentially every 3/4 and 1-ton SRW trucks, has an actual rating of nearly 10,000lbs
Though Fords GAWR for this truck is roughly 6,500lbs as I recall. Id have to check. But I'm not worried about it one bit. Its pure beef, with e great reputation of being impossible to destroy.

Off the assembly line the limiting factor for full size pickups is typically tires.

A SRW with this axle has a GAWR of 6-7k lbs.
Whereas the same axle in DRW configuration is considerably more.

And surprise, the typical OEM size load E tire has a load rating of 3,000 to 3,500lbs per tire
how much do you realistically think a 2nd gen toyota tundra could carry as payload safely loaded full time?

eyemgh

I've never owned a Toyota myself, but based on the mythology around Toyotas apparently they're fine up to about six Jovian masses of payload. Also they never require washing, oil changes or any other preventative or corrective maintenance measures. They last longest when you store them under the treads of a soviet T-72 tank at the bottom of the ocean then when you're ready to drive them you just fire them up and drive them out from under there. If it ever gets too cluttered inside just light it on fire, don't worry Toyotas love that. All the lesser materials will burn away but the immortal Toyota flesh will be unscathed and then you can just go park it at the bottom of the ocean some more where fish can pick away any bits which aren't Toyota.

LOVE IT!

We're building a new rig, BTW, not Toyota based...F350, 7.3 gasser with a bigger camper.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
how much do you realistically think a 2nd gen toyota tundra could carry as payload safely loaded full time?
Are talking Indiana gravy and deep fried pigs ears for breakfast owners or are talking Southern California gym rat / part time TV career dreamer?
If option 1? 1-2 passengers and about 800lbs of gear.
Option 2? 1-2 passengers and 1200lbs in gear??

No really seriously

Also people confuse max load with across town low speed short trips with across multiple states at above highway speeds. Those two use cases are totally different in regards to vehicle capacity

dole

Are talking Indiana gravy and deep fried pigs ears for breakfast owners or are talking Southern California gym rat / part time TV career dreamer?
If option 1? 1-2 passengers and about 800lbs of gear.
Option 2? 1-2 passengers and 1200lbs in gear??

No really seriously

Also people confuse max load with across town low speed short trips with across multiple states at above highway speeds. Those two use cases are totally different in regards to vehicle capacity

I'm talking a 150 lbs guy living in it full time in a pop up slide in camper that never leaves the truck bed

tacollie

Glamper
I'm talking a 150 lbs guy living in it full time in a pop up slide in camper that never leaves the truck bed
Despite what people in this forum will tell you plenty of people put pop ups on Tundras and get by just fine. The nice thing about a slide in is you can transfer it to another truck if the Tundra doesn't work out.

dole

Despite what people in this forum will tell you plenty of people put pop ups on Tundras and get by just fine. The nice thing about a slide in is you can transfer it to another truck if the Tundra doesn't work out.

Yeah! I see so many doing it and I've talked to many of them and they say no problems. But snapping a truck frame I just paid $25,000 for would sure ruin my day. I'm so torn between the Tundra I want and the F250 I'm told I need.

But anyway I'll stop hijacking this thread now

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah! I see so many doing it and I've talked to many of them and they say no problems. But snapping a truck frame I just paid $25,000 for would sure ruin my day. I'm so torn between the Tundra I want and the F250 I'm told I need.

Most just get bent and have funny tire wear and track odd going down the road, get drive line issues etc. Very few ever fold up like a taco. Which is why steel frames are preferred over aluminum given bending is preferable over total sudden failure aka aluminum.

So why are so many trucks run over loaded and is viewed as ok? Simple getting bent isn’t as dramatic as folding in half. And folding in half doesn’t happen very often. However getting bent isn’t exactly great either

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Id consult the MFG' max load rating of the both the front and rear axle and use those figures as your guidelines.
Then work down the line to carry the load that is within those margins as safely as you can, focusing primarily on suspension and tires.
Though Id assume the Tundra desnt have a full-float rear axle, so Id proceed with caution even then.

eyemgh

Don't worry about the hijack. After starting this thread, we decided we really needed more capacity and space. We're ordering a F350 gasser. :D

D

Deleted member 9101

Here's the thing, the Tundra will cost the same as the F250, ride the same as the F250, handle the same as the F250, and get the same gas mileage as the F250...all while being a weaker truck.

A Tundra loaded past it's ratings won't last nearly as long as an F250 carrying the same amount of weight.

D

Deleted member 9101

Though Id assume the Tundra desnt have a full-float rear axle, so Id proceed with caution even then.

The Tundras rear axle is nothing special. Their sole bragging right is it has the largest ring gear of any 1/2 ton. It also can't be had with a locker from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles