Weight

eyemgh

We have a 2008 Silverado 1500, non-lifted with Helwig helpers and Bilsteins. It carries a FWC Raven shell with dual propane tanks and a heater. The GVWR is 7000. GAWR Front and Rear are 3950. With a full tank of gas an extra 5 gallon can, a few things we never pull, including compressor and safety gear plus both of us, we’re at 3400 front and 3600 rear, for 7000 total…unloaded.

Depending on where we go, we bring various things. In the winter we carry front and rear chains. If we’re going to Hart, The Steens or Death Valley, we bring an extra spare. We occasionally carry 2 E-Bikes. Of course we bring food, water, etc.

Because it’s a shell and we’re the second owners, I just assumed we’d be at or below spec when loaded. We’ve used it that way for over a year. It drives fine both on road and even semi-technical off road. We load the bulk of our gear in the back seat of the crew cab, so the load is balanced. I only weighed it because I was thinking about replacing the bed with a deck for more storage (not gonna happen now!)

I know every Tacoma with a FWC is overweight, probably by a lot. I’m just wondering how concerned we should be and if there’s anything more we can/should do to mitigate the situation.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My opinion, you need more truck.

Truthfully, most Toyota products are pretty stout where it counts.
Legit brakes, hubs, axles, etc. Not the case for a domestic 1/2 ton.

They simply are not "built to overload" like a 3/4 or 1-ton.

billiebob

How concerned, well very, seriously concerned.

Two choices, shed weight or get a 3/4 ton.

Beyond springs and tires, the whole truck is engineered for the GVWR. Brakes? yeah sure pretend you will drive accordingly. But even steering components are built, engineered for the GVWR. On a forestry switchback do you want to risk it? Frame, same thing engineered for the GVWR..... plenty of pictures of bent frames.

It'll drive normal till something breaks. Heck you could double the weight and do fine on the Interstate..... but this is an overlanding forum..... off road travel almost means you want to be 10% UNDER GVWR since all domestic half tons pickups are engineered to get groceries.

Last edited:

eyemgh

I was shocked when I weighed it. I assumed it had been spec'd appropriately by the FWC dealer and the previous owner. It has driven fine, in many conditions. The only reason I did weigh it was to see if I had the capacity for a deck and more cargo. With a stated curb weight of 5199 and a Raven shell stated at 905, we shouldn't even be close. We weigh 270 between us. Flummoxed is probably the appropriate word.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
?? you mean with regards to 'yota?
Its all relative, regardless of your feelings.

And relative to actual GVWR, Toyota is built stout.

Though I refuse to run anything without a full float rear axle anymore.
I've broken my share of half-tons :ROFLMAO:

Wrathchild

I am sympathetic to your GVWR concerns. If you look at my build (fairly well appointed OVRLND camper) you’ll see weight tickets. Before my wife, dog, food and water I’m 140 under GVWR (7200#) and about 600 under my rear GAWR. This is my daily driver. Last time I weighted it we were moving from CA to AK and had a lot of extra stuff that we would never take on a normal camping trip. I was 7600# total. No issues whatsoever.

My greatest concern is the semi float rear axle. Eventually I will swap in a full float and have full faith in everything else surviving.

I don’t want to minimize GVWR concerns. I’m painfully aware of them. And that’s why we went with the OVRLND vs a raven. But I wouldn’t stress occasionally being over as long as you’ve appropriately upgraded tires, brakes etc.

eyemgh

?? you mean with regards to 'yota?
Its all relative, regardless of your feelings.

And relative to actual GVWR, Toyota is built stout.

Though I refuse to run anything without a full float rear axle anymore.
I've broken my share of half-tons :ROFLMAO:

Opinions aside, if the numbers are the numbers, I don’t see how any Taco isn’t grossly overloaded (way more than I am) carrying a FWC. Ditto most Tundras, as they are half tons. The dif between the spec’d curb weight and GVWR is 1500 pounds For the Tundra.

Wrathchild

I think you’re learning the dirty little secret about mid size or half tons with slide in campers. Every single one of em is overweight. That doesn’t make it ok. It’s just reality. Even most vehicle that are using lightweight options(GFC, OVRLND, vagabond, snap treehouse etc). Once appointed and loaded for a trip they’re still operating very near or slightly over mfgr recommendations.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Opinions aside, if the numbers are the numbers, I don’t see how any Taco isn’t grossly overloaded (way more than I am) carrying a FWC. Ditto most Tundras, as they are half tons. The dif between the spec’d curb weight and GVWR is 1500 pounds For the Tundra.

Nobody has said that the Taco's are not grossly overloaded based upon GVWR.
I can pretty well guarantee that any Taco with a camper on it will be.

But don't forget that GVWR is nothing more than a max rating by the manufacturer of the truck.
Not necessarily the components that very well play a part in dictating such ratings.
Point being, Toyota (and Japanese MFGs in general) tend to be pretty conservatives with their ratings.

Domestics have been caught up in the horsepower and payload race for decades, their numbers/ratings are hardly conservative.
They are little more than marketing anymore.

eyemgh

I am sympathetic to your GVWR concerns. If you look at my build (fairly well appointed OVRLND camper) you’ll see weight tickets. Before my wife, dog, food and water I’m 140 under GVWR (7200#) and about 600 under my rear GAWR. This is my daily driver. Last time I weighted it we were moving from CA to AK and had a lot of extra stuff that we would never take on a normal camping trip. I was 7600# total. No issues whatsoever.

My greatest concern is the semi float rear axle. Eventually I will swap in a full float and have full faith in everything else surviving.

I don’t want to minimize GVWR concerns. I’m painfully aware of them. And that’s why we went with the OVRLND vs a raven. But I wouldn’t stress occasionally being over as long as you’ve appropriately upgraded tires, brakes etc.

I bought ours as a unit, from the original owner. I put E rated Wildpeaks (3415 per wheel) and new Bilsteins on and it’s driven quite nicely. I never even considered weighing it until I contemplated adding weight.

I’m 350 below in the rear and loading wouldn’t change that based on how we load. It brakes well, but I could look into upgrading.

Wrathchild

I might suggest upgrading to power stop brakes or something similar. But other than that just keep up with the maintenance and regularly inspect for issues (worn bushings, balljoints,, wheel bearings, axle seals, cracked leaves) all of which aren’t too terrible to replace. Yes parts are gonna wear out faster for us. But hopefully being more aware of the weight now will prevent surprises down the road.

i will be doing wheel bearings, and brakes this fall. Still good life in em but an ounce of prevention as they say.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . .
But don't forget that GVWR is nothing more than a max rating by the manufacturer of the truck.
. . .
They are little more than marketing anymore.
GVWR is not just a polite suggested weight capacity, it is the legal definition of the maximum weight a vehicle can carry.
I know the minions of the law are not very interested but when I was driving wrecker any loaded vehicle that was involved in an accident with injuries was weighed before delivery to the impound lot. Those weight tickets were part of the accident record.

D

Deleted member 9101

I just showed this to the LT over the CMV Troopers in my area.... He got a good giggle and said "it's the law...your opinion of it is irrelevant...lol"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles