Weight Distribution in the snow

CanadianCarrier

Hey Guys!

So I have a 05' E-250, with the coming of snow comes the endless battle of having a rear wheel drive machine.. and I am having weight distribution issues. I have snow tires on and the van struggles to get moving from a start, it just spins the tires until its moving. anyone have any suggestions to add weight without it just being sand bags or anything like that as the interior is a camper interior.

Thanks!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
A plastic garbage can or plastic bin filled with sand, start with a little and work your way up to see what helps. I really don't see any other way without extensive work...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
What tires are you running? How about rear end? Limited slip?

Already being a camper van, you should have more than enough weight back there. Just a matter of traction.

Wirebrush

Observer
Do you have a receiver hitch? It wouldnt be difficult to make a hitch mounted box to carry enough weight to max out the rated tongue weiggt capacity, yet be fairly unobtrusive.

A few decades ago you could buy lead weights that bolter around the axle tubes to increase unsprung weight to aid traction.

screwball48

Explorer
Take up driving for Uber. Load up a few paying passengers in the rear seat and you will be all set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
What tires are you running? How about rear end? Limited slip?

Already being a camper van, you should have more than enough weight back there. Just a matter of traction.

^^^ agree with above. had my van on a scale the other day weighing each axle. rear was 600lbs heavier than front and mine is 4wd. same questions though, what tires and open or lsd diff?

Do you have a receiver hitch? It wouldnt be difficult to make a hitch mounted box to carry enough weight to max out the rated tongue weight capacity, yet be fairly unobtrusive.

^^^ that sounds like a counterweight that would increase the odds of the back trying to rotate up front when it got a little sideways. winter driving is more about technique than your setup. 90% driver, 5% vehicle, 5% tires.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How is the weight distribution. Front weight? Rear axle?

With 2700 lbs on the front and 5800 lbs in the back, limited slip, duallies, and good M+S tires mine does very well in the snow. I recently covered more than 100 miles in heavy snow without any problems. Split traction, ice, snow, slush... easy peasy... that said I've driven through some of the worst weather they've seen in these parts in almost 100 years. In comparison the road was nothing.

Last edited:

Silverado08

Observer
Yep, adding weight BEHIND the rear axle is not the answer.
I have to Disagree,,adding weight behind the rear axle gives one advantage you can use less of it,,then if you wanted to place it in the midle,forward of axle..

I Have two wheel drive Silverado with g80 locker aka positraction dif,,and I always load up bunch of concrete blocks,stones or buckets with sand way in the back,,to get better traction,,when the snow comes,,until the rear squats down low,,
Truck can take 2000 lbs load capacity so this doesnt hurt anything..

I also placed a 2x4 plank sideways between the bed sides to keep this weight from sliding forward,,works perfect and so far got me thru anything,deep snow and icy roads with ease,,mind you I also drive very carefuly,its stil easy to lose and spin and drift around corners if you hit the go pedal to hard..:)

Have been doing this for over forty years driving,even with sporty cars like Camaros and it does the job just fine,,

Btw my tires are all season Michelins with fairly agresive tread,,and my Anti Lock Brakes works perfect making it easy to stop straight and under control,,even hiting the brakes hard in a turn it makes the truck slow down and stop under control staying on the road,,ABS ,,best invention since sliced bread..

Last edited:

Silverado08

Observer
Hey Guys!

So I have a 05' E-250, with the coming of snow comes the endless battle of having a rear wheel drive machine.. and I am having weight distribution issues. I have snow tires on and the van struggles to get moving from a start, it just spins the tires until its moving. anyone have any suggestions to add weight without it just being sand bags or anything like that as the interior is a camper interior.

Thanks!
I used to carry lots of tools and paint buckets when working in winter, made sure to place these way in the back,,
even though had to jump over these when getting in and out,,its the only way to get traction with two wheel drive..works great..

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have to Disagree,,adding weight behind the rear axle gives one advantage you can use less of it,,then if you wanted to place it in the midle,forward of axle...

Disagree all you want, but weight behind the axle is NOT where you want it. Its a simple safety issue.

Adding weight behind the axle adds weight to that axle, but it also reduces weight on the front, lessening the ability to steer.

Adding weight at the rear axle or forward is the correct way to do it. You increase traction and maintain the ability to steer.

I use weight behind axle when running plow to offset weight of plow hanging off front. But for a van or any rear wheel drive vehicle you want the weight directly over rear wheels to push them into ground to provide as much psi as possible to tires. The weight behind the tires would have the effect off lightening front end not putting enough psi to those tires for stearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior