Weigh Stations

iandraz

Adventurer
So I'm getting close to buying a FG. Just about all of them seem to be on the east coast, which means it'll be a long trip to pick up. I was wondering, in the US do you have to stop at weigh stations in an FG? Does it vary depending on how the truck is configured?

Recommended books for Overlanding

Jupiter's Travels in Camera: The photographic record of T...
by Ted Simon
From $139.15
999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.95
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99

HINO SG

Adventurer
Only commercial trucks have to stop at weigh stations. Don't know about California.
There are some people here who are more knowledgable than I am about registering heavy trucks as RV's, but as a former CDL truck owner-operator, I advise you be prepared for some hassle.

Some on this board have done so without too much trouble; There's a guy on the Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter board who got rid of his Fuso FG because of the hassles w/ commercial vehicle authorities, though, too.

One work-around that might help in a few cases would be to register at or below 10,001 lbs GVW. If it's not being used commercially and is registered below 10,001 lbs, you should be exempt from pretty much any commercial vehicle authority anywhere.

At a federal level, a CDL is required above 26,000 lbs. New York is one of a few states that apply commercial vehicle laws above 18,000lbs or some other number.

Laws as to what weight you're allowed to register a medium-duty truck probably vary from state to state but FG cab and chassis is less than 6000lbs, so in theory it would be possible to operate an FG under 10,001 lbs.

There are a lot of private motorcoaches being operated well over 26,000 lbs which are not being driven by CDL-licensed drivers or being subjected to commercial vehicle authorities.

Kind of depends what you feel comfortable with and how much you can afford to be wrong....

Last edited:

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I can only speak for the State of Texas but your FG will be OK here. I had my FG
X-camper inspected by a DPS (Dept. of Public Safety, ie State Troopers, Texas Rangers, etc.) Officer who is one of the guys that pulls trucks over to weigh them and check for safety violations. He said I was legal. To be on the safe side I have a sign on the doors which reads, "Private Vehicle. Not for Hire". Also, I carry an up to date weigh slip from a certified weigh station.
The DPS Officer also mentioned that I might be stopped just so they could look it over as it isn't something they see every day. Not an offical stop, just being interested. So far I have been followed a few times but never stopped.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Bought my FG in NC and drove it home to CO. I didn't stop at weigh stations. When I registered it in CO, I told the DMV it was an RV. I don't stop at weigh stations when I drive my BlueBird Wanderlodge bus, so I concluded that since the Fuso serves a similar purpose I could drive by.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Speaking of Weigh Stations...

On a side note, has anyone ever been hassled for taking a car or light truck though a "Self-Weigh" scale? I will occasionally drive through these unmanned scales to check weight distribution before a road trip, but only if there isn't any commercial trucks waiting to use it. Last week I did this at a scale just outside Edmonton and a trucker I saw later at the gas station told me I could get a ticket if the authorities saw me taking a pickup through there. I don't see the problem, but what do you guys think?

Jason

P.S. - Sorry this isn't FG-related.

WantedWolf

Im from Canada so i know nothing of U.S. road laws, but I say Private Vehical signs are a great idea. What about farm registration in the general U.S would this void commercial weight caps?

As for scales there absolutly should never be any issue with the public using scales on public roads Canada or U.S. I do almost daily. How else do you know if your pickup and flatdeck are under or over the 26000# commercial restriction or just plain SAFE. I doubt the government gives homeowner subsidies for $100,000 personal scales. Maybe your neibour has one kicking around you could trade some sugar for?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
In CA the scales have signs saying "No Pick-ups". Seems silly, huh? If you want to know your weight you have to go to a public scale and pay for that info. I used to use the scales at the Harbor Freight main building, but they've quit leaving it on.

For work I once drove a crew cab 1 ton chevy pulling a 42 ft goose-neck (12k net) to Chicago from here on the Left Coast and back. (Yeah, that 454 gave me a 500 mile range, on 100 gallons of fuel!) By reading their truck signs the two states that concerned me the most were New Mexico and Illinois. I stopped in NM and got to pay that fine state some cash. I timed my drive to be in and out of Illinois on a weekend as that looked like it was going to be expensive. Five axles with their toll booths a mile apart was bad enough.

A fellow now in Texas had trouble when he lived here in CA and also sold the truck. I never knew the exact deal, but I think he was over that 26k limit with his GVW. Even though he had a CDL it was still a problem to drive it as a privately owned and not for hire truck.

Stroller

Kerry,

Did the DMV ask to see the truck before granting RV status? If they didn't then it's easier to registar as an RV before the box or camper is installed.

Stroller

kerry

Expedition Leader
Kerry,

Did the DMV ask to see the truck before granting RV status? If they didn't then it's easier to registar as an RV before the box or camper is installed.

Stroller
No, they just asked me when I took the paperwork in to register it. I didn't have a camper on it at the time but just told them that's what it was. They took my word for it.

iandraz

Adventurer
In my case I'm planning to use a temporary registration for the trip to Oregon - I think you can get something like that that's valid for 10 days or whatever. Then I'd do the camper conversion at my shop. After it's complete I'd try to get a new registration as an RV.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $14.59
Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
by Ted Simon
From $21.83
Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place
by Mike Martin, Chloe Baker, Charlie Hatch-Barnwell
From $32.5
First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover
by Tim Slessor
From $13.4

RHINO

Expedition Leader
At a federal level, a CDL is required above 26,000 lbs. New York is one of a few states that apply commercial vehicle laws above 18,000lbs or some other number.

thats only half true, the CDL comes in to play for hauling commodities, you can buy and drive a full fledged 18 wheeler with a 53 ft trailer for your own amusement if you want to,,, i dont want to get into my feelings on this matter so i'll leave it there.

as for the scales, again, its for commercial vehicle enforcement, revenue generator is all it is, i can lay it all out for you if you want to know.

you have fun with your FG and dont worry about anything.

Last edited:

digitaldelay

Explorer
Self-Weigh Scales

In CA the scales have signs saying "No Pick-ups".QUOTE]

That's too bad. I sounds like that trucker was just BS-ing me. I checked with the Alberta Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Office and they assured me that Self-Weighs in Alberta are indeed for public use. Chalk it up to the "Alberta Advantage" I guess!