Wedco water can

MandAtaco

Observer
I purchased a wedco water can from Expedition Exchange about 9 months ago. (Wedco 20-Liter Water Jerrycan (80780) $45 ) After the first time I used it on the Rubicon, I noticed that the inside around the spout area had some surface rust on it. I let the can air out after every use (I live in the dry air of Nevada), and make sure to get all the water out of it. It seems to just be getting worse after every use. Did I do something wrong to prolong the life of the can? Or is this something that just happens when using a metal can? I still use the can for non-potable things, but am thinking of getting a second one and don't want to have the same issues with it. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Mike

azarmadillo

Adventurer
There was a large batch of the Wedco water cans that didn't have sufficient coating inside to prevent rust. Talk with Ho or John and they'll probably swap it out for you if you send it back to them.

TheGillz

Explorer
Does anyone know when these were sent out? I have one that I got at EE about 3 months ago, no signs of rust after 3 uses so far, but I wonder if there is a way to find out if it was in that batch?

Echo_29

Observer
I bought mine from them 3 years ago and the same thing happen. I've moved on to the plastic version. No rust, lighter and taste fine.

MandAtaco

Observer
Well, thanks for the info. They probably wouldn't take mine back now anyway. I have since "modified it" by adding a valve to the top. I'll look around and probably just get a plastic one next. Thanks for the info.

Mike

rayra

Expedition Leader
most often that 'coating' is nothing but clear lacquer paint, just like in some acidic canned food.

It rust isn't really much to worry about, as long as your tetanus shots are current. ;)

And if it's an incomplete coating or treatment, any attempt to scrub or remove that rust is just going to make the problem worse, if you don't then (re-)coat it with something after you remove the rust.

You can get brand new desert tan mil-spec plastic MWCs from somewhere like LCI / Industries for the blind for something like $28ea. Last time I bought any was ~10yrs ago and they were 3 for $50, shipped.
Or you can buy Scepter's newish 'civilian' version 20L that looks similar but the wall thickness is 2/3 that of the milspec can, they look similar from the outside, but their bottoms are fatter and don't fit in NATO-spec can holders. BUT they are $19. Pale Blue with a yellow plastic flex spigot. And btw they come in red and yellow with a CARB-screwed-up spring-loaded fuel nozzles. Those go for about $25. Same jug, same plastic, same thickness, different colors, different nozzles. The caps are interchangeable. they both have a single handle, unlike milspec MFC, which have a triple handle. That's mostly so you can carry two empties in one hand, but lore is so you can tell them apart in the dark.
The $19 and $25 prices can be found today at Tractor Supply. And close to that at a lot of other big box hardware stores, some Costcos, etc.

There's all three (and other types) in this image of my storage

gascache181105.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
oh sweet, the LCI 20L cans are only $24 right now. These are exactly the milspec MWCs, the real deal.
https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon.html

906396_-_plastic_water_can_5_gallon.jpg

Buy all these you want / can afford, they're great NATO-spec jugs at a really good price. And I've personally seen them stand up to all manner of military use in the coldest and hottest desert conditions.
As long as you don't damage the molded v-groove seals in the fill cap or pour caps with grit or foolishly try to tighten the cap as hard as you can, they'll stand up to just about anything. Even use as a step-stool.

eta here's a link on the Scepter Civ 20L at Tractor Supply, $18.99
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/scepter-5-gallon-military-style-water-can?cm_vc=-10005

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94